SCEA announces MGS4 80Gb PS3 bundle

Tuesday, 26th February 2008 20:38 GMT By Patrick Garratt

metalgear7.jpg

Sony’s announced a MGS4 80Gb PS3 bundle at a retailer conference today. The pack has remained undated.

“Working closely with our retail and publishing partners and sharing our hardware and software roadmaps at Destination PlayStation gives us a great opportunity to outline some key milestones for the year. In response to incredible demand, we will be manufacturing more 80GB PS3s for North America and the Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots 80GB PS3 bundle is an ideal way to offer that continued value to our consumers,” said SCEA chief Jack Tretton. “With Blu-ray having won the format war, our stellar software line-up and a broad product portfolio, we will continue to drive the incredible momentum we’ve been generating since last fall.”

The $499 bundle replaces the Motorstorm pack, and also completely dispels all the talk at the beginning of the month about the 80Gb SKU being phased out in the US. Remember that?

MGS4 was apparently dated for a June 12 American release at the same conference today, but that’s still to be confirmed.

1. frod

BC is undead.

2. patlike

I fucking hope they do this in Europe. I really do.

3. Shatner

Did they confirm the 80gig bundle actually does have back-compatibility in it? I’d say it’s best not to make assumptions that “80gb” equals “Back-compatibility”.

Sony revmoved the Emotion Engine chip and the PS2 GPU to lower production costs.

Personally, I’d hold out for explicit confirmation of BC rather than guess.

But, hey, MGS4. Whoo!

4. patlike

It’s got “some” BC, apparently. There aren’t any details I’ve seen yet, though.

5. mart

If this does indeed have BC, I imagine this is going to be the bundle to finally break me.

6. patlike

I’m hoping SCEE’s going to say something about a Euro bundle soon. If we’re going to get the same thing, I’m going to buy it I think.

7. mart

Fuckyeah. I might as well face it; there’s absolutely no way I would’ve been able to hold off waiting for a willthey wonthey 360 announcement. Even then, if they did do a 360 release, it’d be at least a year later. No way I’m waiting for that.

8. patlike

And Wipeout, LBP, Killzone, Resistance, the funny secret thing, etc. And a Blu-ray player. I’m finding it hard to think of a reason why I wouldn’t want one now. A price cut would be nice, like.

9. mart

Yeah a price cut for me. I don’t care about all that other shit. That said, LBP is looking more interesting to me recently than I’d previously considered. I’d written it off personally, but the feature in this month’s Edge peaked my interest.

Also, PixelJunk Racers is teh cracks.

10. patlike

Right, that’s it. Price cut or not, I’ll buy an MGS bundle. Hear that, SCEE? Show me a sign, please.

11. mart

Yeah… yeah ME TOO!

12. Blerk

I’d buy this bundle if they removed MGS and put something that I’d actually quite like to buy in there instead. A LittleBigPlanet bundle, perhaps.