Aerosmith: “There are some battles you can’t fight”

Sunday, 17th February 2008 19:17 GMT By Patrick Garratt

guitarheroaerosmith2.jpg

Aerosmith’s Steve Tyler has said the reason he got involved with Activision for the recently announced Guitar Hero: Aerosmith is that he realised there was no point being stuck in the past with anal attention to music as art: technology was the way forward.

“There are some battles you can’t fight,” he said. “You would like to keep it traditional and make it just deep, deep tracks from albums or B-sides. But technology is going so fast right now rather than be left behind, you are going with the flow.

“It’s a different day and age. Twenty-five years ago we would never have let one of our songs (Dream On) be one of those used in selling cars (in a 2004 Buick commercial). But now, like with I Don’t Want to Miss A Thing (in 1998′s blockbuster film Armageddon), it’s placement.

“When I heard about Activision and all this. I thought whatever I can do for this to make it as good as it can be — because my son plays it — I thought I should do it.”

So basically, Steve, you sold out. Hope those extra millions help ease the pain of knowing you didn’t “keep it real”.

1. scuz

oh enough with this sell out ballocks.

2. CitizenSwift

@scuz Do you mean the selling out or the complaining about the selling out? If it’s the latter, I agree.

I’m surprised by the opinionated footnote of this piece and and am not aligned with its sentiment. Whilst an Aerosmith GH is neither here nor there to me I think that the old media generation adopting new technology, particularly video games, should be applauded.

3. patlike

It was probably a little misjudged, I admit. It just seemed a bit lame to me that he was saying that what he wanted to do was focus on his music, but in reality he has to do Guitar Hero: Aerosmith. It can’t be as though he needs the money.

4. AMG

If I had something to sell-out, I’d sell-out. Show me the money.

5. patlike

Yep, me too. Money, beach, never see me again.

6. videogaming247 » Blog Archive » Acti-Blizz Day - Guitar Hero: Aerosmith brought the band more money than any of its albums

[...] like you did the right thing, Steve. Thanks, [...]