With E3 2020 canceled Nintendo is looking into other ways to keep fans up to date

By Stephany Nunneley, Thursday, 12 March 2020 14:12 GMT

Nintendo has said it will look at other ways to keep fans up to date in the wake of E3 2020’s cancellation.

In a statement, the company said it supported the ESA’s decision to cancel E3 2020 in order to help “protect the health and safety of everyone.”

The company said it will continue to be “flexible and redirect” efforts to “other ways” to keep folks abreast of its activities and products. It also said that because of the COVID-19 outbreak, it will not likely attend industry events for the “foreseeable future.”

“Because of the COVID-19 outbreak, large industry events may be untenable for the foreseeable future,” reads the statement via Gamespot. “But we are considering various ways to engage with our fans and will have more to share as the year continues.”

This means we can likely expect more Nintendo Directs, but the company didn’t elaborate on its plans.

The company hasn’t held a traditional press conference at E3 for many years but opted instead for pre-recorded presentations and Treehouse Live streams. It’s possible we could see a Treehouse Live stream from the company’s home base in lieu of one from the show floor. But again, this is just speculation as Nintendo’s plans seem to still be under discussion.

The ESA announced earlier this week it had cancelled E3 2020 due to concerns over the spread of coronavirus. In the wake of the news, Microsoft and Ubisoft announced plans to host digital events. Devolver Digital also had plans to host a “livestream Devolver Direct/press conference and possibly more.”

Sometimes we include links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.

Comments