A thumbstick has been added to Valve’s Steam Controller

Wednesday, 23rd July 2014 21:03 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

It appears Valve has revised its Steam Controller with an analog thumbstick.

alpha_controller_lines_d0g

This is according to a diagram of a new design found within the July 23 update to the Steam client beta by SteamDB.

As you can see in the image posted above, the directional buttons originally on the left were removed and replaced with the thumbstick.

While the image isn’t actual confirmation of a design switch, those who prefer a controller with a thumbstick will like the additional option alongside the trackpad.

If are part of the Steam client beta, PC Gamer says you can find it in the Steam\tenfoot\resource\images\library folder.

A look at how the controller looked a month ago is posted below for comparison purposes. But, it’s been said there are customizable configurations at this point, but it’s unknown if that will be an option at release or not – we’ll have to wait and see once Valve is finished with the peripheral.

steamcontroller

1. yeoung

I knew it! Excellent :D

#1 2 months ago
  2. Panthro

This sounds like such bullshit.

But if you go to Origin and redeem this code:

I-LOVE-THE-SIMS

It will give you the Sims 2 + All of the DLC for free.

I know, it sounds like bullshit, it’s weird as fuck they are giving the game away free this way, but try it if you like the Sims 2, I thought it was awesome.

#2 2 months ago
  3. Panthro

Sry 4 spam

#3 2 months ago
  4. Triggerhappy

I’m primary a PC gamer and I use a controller for every game. If a PC game does not support controller then I just get it on console. I don’t play competitive anyway, single player only for me. Anyway I don’t use controller just for comfort, I use it for analog controls. I can’t imagine sneaking in Dishonored without being in full control of what speed I move. I like the look of the Steam controller, the way it brings controller support to games that don’t have it is awesome, but the first thing that struck me was how in the hell do you use it for games that already support pads? I think adding this was a good move and if they opted for two tracking pads and two analogs would make me pre order one.

#4 2 months ago
  5. fockin_ow_m8

@Panthro OMG it works. I thought you were a troll but it works! Thanks, mate!

#5 2 months ago
  6. Ekona

Thumbstick is ace. A-B-X-Y buttons the wrong way round, less so.

#6 2 months ago
  7. Panthro

@Ekona

They are in the same place as a 360 pad?

#7 2 months ago
  8. RandomTiger

Good

#8 2 months ago
  9. Ekona

@Panthro Which is also wrong. Nintendo got there first with the SNES, and it confuses me still when I get on-screen prompts on the Xbox :D

#9 2 months ago
  10. polygem

Oh, this is great. Can’t wait for that thing.

I love video game consoles…but they are outdated aren’t they? PC’s are an investment in the future of gaming.

#10 2 months ago
  11. TheWulf

Valve still seems to be working at this. I believe I made the claim that they would way back when, and here they are. I’m glad of it, too, because this approach to controllers has potential, they just need to figure out the optimal path forward for it.

#11 2 months ago
  12. TheWulf

I know what you’re trying to say, but ‘outdated’ isn’t the right word, and you’re going to offend people with that. I don’t mean to be insulting to you, either, so let me explain, okay?

Consoles, these days, have hardware that’s on par with or even better than PCs. The thing about consoles though is that, like war, console gaming never changes. It’s been in the same stagnant state since ’05, and we’re well on our way towards 2015, now. That’s a decade of stagnation.

What I’m getting at is that I think the word you’re looking for is ‘stagnant’ rather than ‘outdated.’

Whereas on the PC, due to it being an open platform, people tend to try new and exciting things first, the consoles lag behind. On the PC, if you want to make some crazy piece of software or hardware, then no one can say no. There are no gatekeepers.

As I’ve pointed out before, too, even with Steam the only real gatekeepers are the Steam community, and Steam is but one storefront on offer. I’ve found myself buying from the Humble Store (and widget via developer sites) more than I’ve found myself buying from Steam in recent years. The Humble Bundle guys have done so much to open up the PC even further, that’s great.

This is why on Pat’s amusing article, yesterday, he had to concede that the PC has better indies. >___> The reason for this? If someone has a bonzo, nutty idea, they can make it and then land it on a bunch of stores. And it can just be there. It’s stuff that could never have existed on consoles. It’s developed first for PCs, and then maybe a console manufacturer will say ‘I want some of that, too’ and allow it to happen over there.

Sony have been savvy about this, but they’ve been chasing the wrong sorts of indies, in my opinion. They chase the safe indies, the AAA-like indies, the boring ones. So Sony still isn’t quite there yet. And due to the consoles being stagnant by design, they may never be.

Consoles versus the PC is kind of like the TV versus Netflix. It’s a matter of taste, but the one is continually evolving whereas the other has largely remained unchanged throughout the passing of time.

I think that this is why I’m a PC gamer. I want to be on the bleeding edge, so that all of the groovy new stuff hits me, first. But not everyone wants that. Some people just want the same thing, they want to come home, sit on a sofa, boot up a game, and turn their minds off for a bit. The familiar environment provided by consoles is great for that, because the console will never change, the console will never challenge you, the console will never require tech literacy (so it won’t get loaded down with malware).

It depends on whether you want to think or not, I think. This is why I divide PC owners and console gamers as extroverts and introverts.

Extroverts are more people of action, they do things sometimes without thinking, but it means that they’re quick decision making. They don’t want to turn on their console to have it ask them a bunch of questions about things or what have you, they don’t want to customise, they just want to play games.

Introverts love to think. This is why I’m constantly tinkering with the guts of my PC, which I find as enjoyable sometimes as playing games. I find coding a new desktop and making it look just as I want it (via Rainmeter, Rainlendar, and the like) to be an incredibly gratifying process. It’s not always simple and easy, but it is rewarding for the thinker. And on the PC, thinker games are much more common.

As an example of a thinker game which you’d never see on a console? Uru. I still revisit Uru every year to go through the Teladahn stuff and see Shroomie. I don’t know if I’ll ever make as strong a connection with any game as I did with Uru. It invited me to explore, to see incredible things, to do jumping puzzles, and then to think.

Those are all of my favourite things!!!!

I’ll also note that Uru is completely free these days, Cyan Worlds care about it so much that they’re running the game and the servers out of their own pockets, and the pockets of fans generous enough to donate. So if you’re at all curious, I urge you to check it out. It’ll run on just about any computer, even antiquated toasters, as it’s from ’03.

So what I’m getting at is that a non-stagnant system where things are constantly changing and evolving is suitable for a thinker. If someone just wants only the entertainment in a stagnant environment where nothing ever changes, then the console is the way to go, because every time the console is turned on it will cheerily greet you in exactly the same way.

The PC is a different beast entirely.

I think of it as being similar to the smartphone argument. Some people just want phones that make calls, so some will prefer iOS or even not smart phones just so that they can make their calls. Others will prefer the power that even a not rooted Android phone automatically puts in your hands, and all the configuration that allows for. Can’t speak of Windows phones, yet, really as I’ve not had a chance to use one for more than a minute.

Thing is, though? Some people like stagnation, and that’s okay, for them. Each day the same as the last is comforting for a lot of people.

#12 2 months ago
  13. FlyBoogy

Who cares? The interesting thing is that it has button on the back side of the controller and you can use MORE than 4 fingers! Already better than xbox and ps controllers

#13 2 months ago
  14. TERMINATOR-SSD

so playing beat-em-ups will be useless….I had no problem with that d-pad style under the track pad, it looked fine.

#14 2 months ago