PS4 team actually danced when it heard Xbox One’s higher launch price

Tuesday, 24th June 2014 11:01 GMT By Dave Cook

Sony executives danced and high-fived each other when they heard that Microsoft’s Xbox One would launch at a higher price-point than PS4, according to Scott Rohde, head of Sony Worldwide Studios America.

playstation_4_ps4

It follows the Knack team explaining why the PS4 went from a 4GB RAM console to 8GB after it asked Sony for additional power.

Now, speaking with Ars Technica, Rohde was asked how he felt when Microsoft announced that Xbox One would be $100 more expensive than PS4.

“I’m not gonna lie,” he replied. “I remember exactly where I was. We were in press conference rehearsals last year. We had a feeling they were going to come in at $499, but we weren’t sure. So yeah, we were dancing in the aisles and high-fiving. It was great. Anyone that came in on an interview, it didn’t matter what the question was, I could always just answer it with $399. It was the answer to every question.”

Rohde added that he wasn’t surprised to see Microsoft ditching Kinect from its Xbox One console bundles to bring costs down, saying, “I think that, to be truthful, we always assumed that eventually they’d have to release a SKU without a camera. So we were waiting for it to a degree, and we were ready for it.”

Was the price difference a real deciding factor for you at launch, or are you still waiting to invest in the new generation? Let us know below.

Via MCV.

1. gomersoul

So did my wallet! 😂

#1 6 months ago
  2. polygem

defintely gave them a huge headstart…doesn´t mean they won the race

#2 6 months ago
  3. OrbitMonkey

I just think its hill hairy arse that MS carbon copied the PS3 launch.

Attitude, direction, higher price… Same bewildered surprise at the backlash of fickle consumers :)

#3 6 months ago
  4. Arnvidr

I don’t think the price itself did that much to hurt MS, as much as the *reason* for the price.

#4 6 months ago
  5. Legendaryboss

Charming.

#5 6 months ago
  6. Gekidami

@OrbitMonkey
    Difference being that even at a higher price, the PS3 sold more in its first year than the 360, and for the majority of the generation, it sold more or practically equal throughout the years, only lagging behind the 360′s 6 million head start. The XB1 on the other hand is being more less trounced by the PS4 and it didnt even have an extra year of no competition like the 360 did.

Seems that in the end price isnt the largest factor around, its more about what brand people want most.

#6 6 months ago
  7. FoureyesZero

The fact that the ps4 was cheaper and more powerful than the xbox one has won them the console war.
    Even now that they are the same price still means the xbox one loses.
    Every multiplatform game will be better on the ps4 the xbox one cant compete with that.

#7 6 months ago
  8. Hcw87

Exactly, the brand is the major reason why no one is going to overtake Sony in the console race. The PS3 was the lesser console last gen (multiplats were worse for example), and PSN were miles behind Xbox Live with no party chat, unstable service etc. PS3 stilloutsold the 360 though.

Even if the current XB1/PS4 power difference were reversed, PS4 would still be outselling the XB1.

#8 6 months ago
  9. Dragon

If my competitor also did something like that, I would probably be happy too.

#9 6 months ago
  10. melonbuster1

Wow.. did we really need a thread on this.. we all knew they danced when they heard.. but I feel sony had drm in place the cam in the box and a 499.99 price tag . They heard Microsoft and heard how everyone felt about it and changed everything. No cam no drm and 399.99. Please they show was a hour late .. why lighting. .lol.. please. Microsoft went 1st and got they ass handed to them.. i would have done the same thing. Sony needs to win. Smart business

#10 6 months ago
  11. Clupula

@OrbitMonkey Probably because there were a lot of the same former Sony people at Microsoft.

#11 6 months ago
  12. bobnice

@FoureyesZero

oh really? I had no ideah the console war ended after only 7 months

#12 6 months ago
  13. bobnice

@Hcw87

how many ps3′s has sony sold…to customers and not their sold to retailers numbers either? I know xbox 360 is at 84 million last I heard.

#13 6 months ago
  14. fearmonkey

If MS would have released the more powerful console for $499, I would have bought it rather than the PS4 at $399. But it was a weaker console with a camera I didn’t want, so I got the PS4 and have been very happy with that decision. I’ll get an Xbox one at $399 or less sometime in the future, but it won’t be my primary console this gen. I hope MS learned alot from this, and brings back what made the Xbox great in it’s next console.

#14 6 months ago
  15. bradk825

It’s hard not to be excited when your direct competitor announces a higher price than you.

#15 6 months ago
  16. justerthought

@OrbitMonkey
    Yes and MS made the same hardware mistake as well. I could not believe they could be so dumb. They watched Sony suffer for 5 years with the PS3 flaws but didn’t learn any lessons. PS3 was crippled by a lack of RAM, hard to programme CELL and a lame GPU because Sony expected the devs to use the CELL instead. Sony cured all that with the PS4. Lots of fast unified RAM, easy to programme, no exotics and a powerful GPU. MS has done a PS3 and crippled the XB1 with slow multimedia RAM, hard to programme exotics (ESRAM and cloud processing) and a lame GPU.

The tables have turned but the xbox fanboys still think history is going to repeat itself, stating that the PS3 was more powerful yet the 360 performed better. They have not learned anything either. Things are going to get worse for XB1 not better because there is nowhere to go with the lame hardware, while the PS4 design has room for expansion.

#16 6 months ago
  17. Seventizz

Meanwhile, the major complaint PS4 owners is that there’s no games to play – on their gaming machines.

#17 6 months ago
  18. Seventizz

Meanwhile, the major complaint from PS4 owners is that there’s no games to play – on their gaming machines.

#18 6 months ago
  19. justerthought

@bobnice
    Your argument is the wrong way around. The PS3 and 360 are near enough level right now which is a win for Sony because MS had a year head start and lost its advantage. Sony quote sales to customers. It is MS that quote sales to retailers as we have seen with their XB1 figures.

#19 6 months ago
  20. OrbitMonkey

@Seventizz. Yep, but they’ll never moan about framerate, amiright?

Not that thats such a big deal this gen.. Apparently… for anyone with a xbox one…

No biggy…

No sir.

#20 6 months ago
  21. justerthought

@Seventizz
    Both consoles have been a bit thin with the games during the launch period, but I have been fine on PS4. I’ve got Assassin’s Creed 4, Tomb Raider DE, Watch Dogs and I’m also enjoying the free Pixeljunk Shooter. Next month we have The Last Of Us remaster, then GTAV remaster, then Metro Redux, then Far Cry 4, then Assassin’s Creed Unity, then Uncharted 4 and Witcher 3.

Plenty of games and all will run better on PS4. I’m in this for the long haul having been a gamer for over 35 years. I’ve seen the pattern many times before so short term gains are worthless. It’s all about recognising potential and making sure you’re on the right ship when it departs.

#21 6 months ago
  22. justerthought

@Seventizz
    In fact there is nothing exclusive on the XB1 apart from Forza 5 that I would want to play and we are going to get a load of racers shortly that will compete very favourably with that. I’m guessing that buy the time Gran Turismo hits, we will be sick of racers, no matter how good they look.

The on XB1 that I do want to play are on the PS4 as well and play/look a lot better. I have zero attraction to the XB1. PS4 seems to get the most innovative games as we saw at E3 with No Man’s Sky. The XB1 was focusing on dudes larking around dressing it up as fun, but it’s the sort of shallow gameplay that grows tired very quickly unless you’re an addicted COD respawner who loves the recycling treadmill.

#22 6 months ago
  23. Seventizz

@justerthought You sound like a Sony fanboy. And 3 posts defending your purchase makes me think I’m right.

Sec, my Titan is ready.