Games for Windows Live adamantly refuses to die

Monday, 23rd June 2014 06:20 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Microsoft has vowed ongoing support for Games for Windows Live, a service we had expected to die a natural and unmourned death within weeks.

games_for_windows_live_gfwl

Last year, reports suggested Games for Windows Live, a DRM suite for PC games, would be discontinued in early July.

The reports seemed to be backed up by a swathe of existing games dumping the system for alternatives such as Steamworks, and publishers actively seeking alternatives for games likely to be stranded.

The GFWL Marketplace has indeed closed, but as we approach the rumoured cut-off date, there’s been no official announcement, and many games are still without alternate solutions.

In a statement issued to GameInformer, Microsoft said rumours of the service’s demise are greatly exaggerated.

“We are continuing to support the Games for Windows Live service,” the company said.

“As previously announced, as part of the retirement of Microsoft Points the Xbox.com PC marketplace was closed. Although customers are unable to purchase new games from the marketplace or receive title updates, they can continue to enjoy previously purchased content by downloading them through the Games for Windows Live client as usual.

“We remain committed to investing in PC gaming in the years ahead, and look forward to sharing more in the future.”

This is good news for games that are as yet unsupported outside of the GFWL ecosystem, but something of a disappointment to the torch-and-pitchfork carrying detractors of the service, which is notoriously unpopular – even among DRM suites, which aren’t exactly known for their capacity to delight PC gamers.

Thanks, games.on.net.

1. Untold stories

That is crazy

#1 1 month ago
  2. TheWulf

I don’t really object to this at all. I had an okay time in Fable III, I admit that a lot of it came from the fact that I was Steampunk Iron Man, a role I had a good laugh with. They gave me power armour, then let me colour it, what else was I supposed to do? I also heavily utilised magicks to complete the effect, and used some trickery to de-equip the melee weapon/gun from my character.

And Stephen Fry made for such a marvellous pseudo-villain in that game, too. My encounters with him were probably some of my favourite parts of the whole thing. I guess the only thing I strongly disliked about Fable III was that they removed the more interesting monsters and replaced them with wolves, because of the commonly held (and not incorrect) belief that many gamers are extroverts, and that extroverts are stupid enough to be alienated by genuinely strange and wonderful worlds.

So there was that. That bugged me. But there were good things about it, too. The Fallout parody DLC was amazing, just great, and the two old blokes who follow you around everywhere (one of whom is none other than John Cleese) were a very consistent joy. And unlike most people, I actually liked the weird walkable-hub-thingy-as-a-menu that they had going on.

That actually reminded me of back in the ’90s, when we had these visions of what the future and future Internet would be like, and how we’d interact with things in a more technologically resplendent environment. It just had that feel to it, except that it was magic, of course, but still. I also liked that the PC version got extra features, like a ‘repair all’ button for all the houses, I appreciated that.

Sooooo… yeah.

I did like Fable III. It wasn’t the greatest thing I’d ever played, it was about average, but it had lots of little memorable moments. And those moments have a place in my heart.

#2 1 month ago
  3. TheWulf

The point of the above being that, with GfWL still around, I can still hop into multiplayer with a friend. With her being a chubby lady with a hammer, and me being Steampunk Iron Man. Which is great.

#3 1 month ago
  4. AmiralPatate

GFWL wasn’t that terrible when it worked correctly. The operative word being “when”.

#4 1 month ago
  5. polygem

i loved it so much in dark souls. one of the greatest puzzles made in a game. ever. was so satisfying to finally solve that one.

#5 1 month ago
  6. Brenna Hillier

@polygem still struggling with it. Gonna try a clean GFWL install. AGAIN.

#6 1 month ago
  7. Hcw87

Never had any issues with this. It’s great that you can earn achievements that add to your X360 achievements (GTAIV 360+PC=2k achievement points), and staying in touch with friends playing on console while you’re playing a PC game isn’t what i’d call a bad service.

All you need to do is sign in once, turn on auto-login, and every single GFWL game will auto-login your Xbox Live account and you’re good to go.

#7 1 month ago
  8. polygem

@Brenna Hillier
    oh oh…you are barely halfway through then. good luck :D

#8 1 month ago
  9. deathm00n

I’ve just purchased Fallout 3 on steam, I hope it doesn’t die on me thank to GFWL

#9 1 month ago