Alien: Isolation is “a bit like a Metroidvania game”

Wednesday, 18th June 2014 11:51 GMT By Dave Cook

Alien: Isolation’s lead game designer Gary Napper has likened The Creative Assembly’s horror title to Metroidvania titles. As it happens, players will be able to back-track and re-explore previous areas for secrets at will.

alien_isolation_06

VG247′s been playing Alien: Isolation and we’ve compiled a list of essential gameplay rules you need to adhere to if you’re going to survive for long. Trust us, you’ll need them.

Speaking with The Angry Joe Show, Napper discussed the game’s layout and length, saying, “The game’s actually about 15 hours long because we’ve got so much to do with the narrative and all the different mechanics of the alien.

“On top of that we have the other threats about the station, we have a big long story that folds out. Also it’s a bit like a Metroidvania game where you have a linear story you go through but you can also go back and explore areas you’ve been to. You can go back to areas and find new things, explore and open up new areas. There’s a lot to do in the world.”

Now, for those unfamiliar with the term Metroidvania, it applies to a string of Castlevania titles that employed the map and exploration mechanics seen in Nintendo’s Metroid games. It was used in Symphony of the Night, Aria of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin among others. They were open world in nature, and filled with secrets for those willing to explore.

Napper went on, “The difficult thing is nailing a time because people can play for absolutely ages without even seeing the alien because they’re being really careful and really stealthy, they’ve done nothing to call him down or there have been no explosions that he has come to investigate. Those people can get through it fairly quickly.”

Alien Isolation launches October 7 on PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One.

Cheers CVG.

1. SN3AK

I’m just happy to see a survival horror game back on the market.

#1 3 months ago
  2. Luciferous

The end of that first week of October is stupidly busy… I may not get to play this until December.

It is looking more promising by the day and will hopefully do the Alien franchise proud.

#2 3 months ago
  3. monkeygourmet

Im very cautious of this.

The gameplay i’ve seen so far seemed to be very reminiscant of other games in the genre; a ‘hiding in the closet simulator’.

I find it very hard to get scared if I know im waiting for a pre-scripted animation to finish before I can move on in the game. I always prefer some kind of combat (I saw combat mentioned for this title, but also that the alien can’t be killed – confusing).

I hate it when games remove combat completly… What person in a situation like this (or Outlast for example), wouldn’t pick up and assemble some kind of weapon?!

Even Newt was probably packing a shiv hidden in that dolls head!

Running away simulators just aren’t my thing. I think Zombie U struck the perfect balance, you could attack, but you had to weigh up every situation to make sure it was really, really worth it.

Even with the more powerful weapons, one wrong mistake would spell your demise. Easily the best survival horror game of recent times.

#3 3 months ago
  4. matirishhh

I secretly hope the second half of the game will take place on the surface of either LV-426 or LV-223 :)

#4 3 months ago
  5. polygem

^
    +1 zombiu/ outlast (eventhough i still finished and enjoyed it)

calling your game a metroidvania has become quite a trend lately. sadly, they rarely really deliver. when i want some metroidvania i still return to metroid or castlevania because they still do it the best.

#5 3 months ago
  6. Dave Cook

@matirishhh MIND BLOWN

#6 3 months ago
  7. matirishhh

@Dave Cook :) That would trully be an awesome stuff

#7 3 months ago
  8. Darkfield

@matirishhh Get the hell out of my head, stop stealing my thoughts, not cool bro.

But seriously its an exotic thought that lurks in the back of all of our heads, mmmmmhhh the nerdgasm if it were true.

#8 3 months ago
  9. Opalauge

@monkeygourmet

You fight against the crew and androids or lure the alien to them. According to the developers it will not be scripted. The Aliens AI responds to the players behavior and noise.

#9 3 months ago
  10. zoopdeloop

at last a proper Alien game :)
    hope it doesn’t become another over hyped Alien fiasco

#10 3 months ago
  11. monkeygourmet

I hope so, that sounds cool.

I’ve been burnt so many times before though… :)

#11 3 months ago
  12. matirishhh

@Darkfield Haha that is funny. I think we all (GEEKS) operate on the same kind of waves :)

#12 3 months ago