Nintendo planning new 3D & 2D Metroid games

Friday, 13th June 2014 12:00 GMT By Dave Cook

Metroid has been absent from Nintendo’s slate for some time now, but you’ll be happy to know that the company is planning not one, but two new entries to the series. Praise be to Samus.

metroid

Speaking of Nintendo, here’s a few images that prove Shigeru Miyamoto was the happiest person at E3 2014. Just look at his face.

In an interview with Kotaku, Nintendo SPD head Shinya Takahashi confirmed that his team would like to talk about both new Metroid titles, in “the near future.”

“So it has been a while since we released the last one and we’re having discussions internally about what we can do next,” he explained. “So at this point we have two different types of Metroid games. We have the Prime style of Metroid game and we have the more traditional style of Metroid game.

“We feel that we do need to take care of both of these styles of play. And the hope is that at some point in the near future we’ll be able to share something about them.”

Well there you have it. New Metroids confirmed.

Excited?

1. Dave Cook

I’m in, although I’m more keen on the prospect of a new 2D one because I’m a big Metroidvania fan. Oh man, I want a re-release of Dawn of Sorrow so bad.

#1 6 months ago
  2. Joe Musashi

Nintendo, you had my curiosity, but now you have my attention.

2D Metroid > 3D Metroid >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Other M

JM

#2 6 months ago
  3. jos3moreira

I don’t care if it is 3D or 2D, WiiU or 3DS. I just want Metroid now!! My God, never thought of missing that game so much.

#3 6 months ago
  4. polygem

I want a 2d Metroid so bad.
    It’s been a while. I expected a little more metroid this e3…But it’s great to hear some sort of confirmation at least.

I recently bought fusion on VC. One of my favourite metroids. These games age really well. The 2d stuff is just timeless really.

#4 6 months ago
  5. silkvg247

Super Metroid was the greatest.

#5 6 months ago
  6. polygem

#1+1 dawn of sorrow is the definition of a great videogame to me. It is just crazy how great this game is.

#6 6 months ago
  7. Mike W

@Joe Musashi

Other M was really good though…… :-|

#7 6 months ago
  8. polygem

It was yeah…really good.

#8 6 months ago
  9. Joe Musashi

Other M was a competent game. It was a terrible, terrible Metroid game – taking ridiculous liberties with staples of the franchise.

JM

#9 6 months ago
  10. Mike W

@Joe Musashi

Well, I respect your opinion, I thought it was one the better Metroid games. It reminded me of the commercial Nintendo used to promote Metroid Fusion:

#10 6 months ago
  11. Hirmetrium

Re-release Metroid Prime Triology on the digital catalogue already. Or reissue it. Let me at least play the previous games your so awful at circulating Nintendo.

#11 6 months ago
  12. Joe Musashi

Nah, it was Metroid in name only. The core tenets of the series were fucked around with.

- From famously silent protagonist to introspective blabbermouth.
    - From independent, lone protagonist to mere team member
    - Sense of exploration severely hamstrung due to piecemeal level design
    - From discovering new skills, weapons and enhancements for yourself, to waiting for permission to be allowed to use items you already posess.

That last one was a particularly cheap solution to efforts to sequence break events in Metroid. Sloppy, nonsensical, immersion breaking and completely at odds with every other Metroid game out there.

It also grossly undermined the status of Samus Aran as a strong female protagonist. She was reduced to footsoldier waiting for a (male) superior to give permission to use equipment.

As I say, as a game it’s pretty decent.
    As a Metroid game, no, it’s awful.

JM

#12 6 months ago
  13. salarta

1) I’m glad to hear they’re working on new Metroid games, but
    2) I’m concerned they could be character-wise as bad as Other M was.

The gameplay of Other M was good. The story was terrible, and should be retconned. Also, the boots they’re putting Zero Suit Samus in for the next Smash Bros game shouldn’t be in the Metroid games, though I don’t doubt Nintendo will put them in there. Because “zomg she’s a woman, all women must wear heels.”

#13 6 months ago
  14. Digital Bamboo

Well this is delicious news.

I’m not sure which one to get more excited about: an HD Prime-style Metroid or a modern-day 2D one.

I’m going to give Other M a try. Really no reason not to as my sister gave it to me unexpectedly after a friend of hers handed her a bag of Wii games and told her “do whatever you want with these”

#14 6 months ago
  15. joshua nash

@Joe Musashi ah Other M the game where Samus lost the badass and gain a sudden submissiveness, in short i felt the game was sort like this:

Commanding Officer: Samus don’t use any of the gear you got instead come over here a Suck me Off
    Samus: Yes Sir, I will Sir cause I only live to suck you off Sir

I just can stand what they did to her, She is an Iconic character that got turn into just you average SUBMISSIVE EMO CHICK, god i hope these new Metroid games totally forget that other M exist hell I would like it if Other M wasn’t even considered to be canon, and if these games take place after Fusion that’d be great, hell I’d actually like to see what Metroid would be like as an RPG

#15 6 months ago
  16. Digital Bamboo

Oh man. Reading some of these comments, maybe there are good reasons not to play Other M after all.

#16 6 months ago
  17. salarta

@Digital Bamboo If your only interest in the game is gameplay, I’d say it’s worth buying a used copy or pirating. The gameplay aspect was good.

But if your interest is in Samus and good story-telling of female characters, you absolutely never want to touch Other M unless you want to get pissed off. At Nintendo, the industry, yourself for playing it, whichever.

I’m sure you’ve seen plenty about the idiotic submissiveness the game tries to force on Samus. She had a male mentor, and the game gives her something of a daddy complex toward him where she is willing to endure ungodly stupid things just to please him (e.g. “I’M ABOUT TO DIE IN A FIRE, ACTIVATING MY VARIA SUIT WOULD SAVE ME, AM I ALLOWED TO NOT DIE?”).

But there are a couple other issues you may not see mentioned very often. One is that whenever she gets extremely emotional, her Power Suit either stops working correctly or disappears into her Zero Suit. Yes, they turned her power armor into a case of “you can be powerful if you stop going all woman on us and stop having emotions.” Another is that every time Samus has to face a big challenge, a guy comes in to save her ass; at no point do you see her save THEIR asses while they ineffectually stand by and watch her, which is exactly how she’s depicted both times they come to her rescue.

The first time Samus runs into Ridley in Other M is where you see both of the above. Despite beating him several times in the past with no issue, she has this whole over-emotional breakdown where the game suggests she’s emotionally reverting to a scared little girl (they have flashes where we see little girl Samus in her place). Ridley grabs her and smacks her around a lot while she squirms helplessly in his claw, with her Power Suit constantly appearing and disappearing. Then Anthony Higgs shows up and saves Samus by blasting Ridley with a gun. He gets killed by Ridley, Samus suddenly stops acting insultingly pathetic, and then you fight Ridley.

So yeah, story-wise Other M was horrible. And if anyone has complaints about spoilers, let me just say, it’s been four years now and Other M’s story really isn’t worth worrying about spoilers in the first place. You don’t worry about spoilers when you look at bad fanfiction, after all.

#17 6 months ago
  18. Dr.Ghettoblaster

AWESOME NEWS!!! Been waiting to hear something on this! :)

#18 6 months ago
  19. Dr.Ghettoblaster

They would have a sure fire hit seller if they made a 2D Metroid that looks like this:

#19 6 months ago
  20. fihar

@Dave Cook
    Sorry Dave. Me no likey generic pretty-anime-boy Soma.
    I mean seriously, look at Aria of Sorrow’s cover art and then ask yourself what kind of braindead idiot actually thought it was a good idea to drop Ayami Kojima’s brilliant artwork for Dawn of Sorrow.

God, I’d love that game sooo much more if I didn’t have to stare at that stupid face for most of my time with the game.

Anyway, despite Hunters (and FPSes in general) being clearly unsuited for the DS, I actually like that game, but yeah, another 2D Metroid would be better for all of us is another 3D Metroid is going to end up on the Wii U in the future.
    Excited? Hell yeah.

#20 6 months ago
  21. Froseidon

The first Prime game was fantastic, the following two were also pretty good (though the first was fantastic).

As for the 2D ones, I have no idea how many times I played through Fusion, but it was way too many times.

Kinda hyped!

#21 6 months ago
  22. Agt_Pendergast

Enough has been said about the story of Other M that I don’t think I need to add to it. But I don’t get people who say the gameplay is actually good. How can limited exploration, pixel hunts, awkward first person switching, and simplified combat that practically plays itself be considered good?

#22 6 months ago
  23. salarta

@Agt_Pendergast Maybe it was just because of how absolutely deprived I was of any games to justify my owning a Wii, but it just seemed pretty good to me. It wasn’t a masterpiece of gameplay or anything, not something you absolutely have to play for that reason, but it’s still good enough to play and not feel like immediately dropping for that reason.

I ended up beating that game despite all the story problems, while I’ve quickly lost interest in other games people have said are amazing.

#23 6 months ago
  24. bardo

@Dave Cook Did you play Shadow Complex? Such an amazing take on the Metroidvania genre… Disappointing that it’s XBLA only though.

#24 6 months ago
  25. Digital Bamboo

@salarta I’m still undecided: On the one hand, I’m really all about the gameplay in Metroid games, on the other, it sounds as though Other M strays pretty damn far from the source and does the series a real disservice, so is best avoided.

Maybe I’ll finally finish Fusion instead.

#25 6 months ago
  26. polygem

Hey DB, Fusion is great. It is much more linear than most metroids but imo it benefits from it, especially as a handheld game.

As much as i love super metroid, it is easy to get stuck, especially if you are new to the series (Don’t know if you are -Just generally speaking).

This wont be happening here. I wouldn’t want all the metroids to be like that but here it works. It gets the formula right. Bosses can be tough but it’s all manageable. The game is pretty short though.

Overall this game is very straight forward metroid fun. It is a perfect entry game for metroid newcomers because it holds your hand just enough and at the same time it offers enough challenge for series vets too.

It is a beautiful game as well. Also one of those that give you a great feeling of having achieved something after completing it.

#26 6 months ago