The 28 most anticipated games of E3 2014

Tuesday, 3rd June 2014 14:05 GMT By Dave Cook

E3 2014 kicks off next week and it promises to be a bumper year of reveals and fresh information on the hottest new games. Dave Cook runs down our list of the top 28 most-anticipated games at the show.

We’ve converged in the VG247 orbital news strike platform and discussed the games we’re most looking forward to at E3 2014. As we ranked each game using our hype-omiter there were tears, there were laughs, and someone even cried. Now here, for your reading pleasure, are our top 28 most-anticipated games of the show.

SunsetOverdrive_online_roman_candle

28. Sunset Overdrive

Last seen in: Sunset Overdrive’s guns look insane in this new trailer

It’s a new Xbox One exclusive and a fresh IP. In a world filled with sequels that’s surely a good thing, right? Insomniac’s first new-gen title has made this list because it’s not smothered by drab colours and stereotypical plot nonsense about rogue nations, terrorist plots or other familiar guff. It looks insane, funny, colourful, slick and more than a little bit like Jet Set Radio. We’re not seeing a downside yet.

fable_legends_sterling_1

27. Fable: Legends

Last seen in: Fable Legends: Xbox One shots show new enemy type, lush environments

Fable games may have taken a dip in recent years, but we’re liking the concept of having four human-controlled heroes working through a quest while another human controlled villain tries to make their life a living hell. Jokes about the cloud aside, this is a new form of co-op and PvP set within a universe that still manages to charm us with its British wit and morally-skewed backbone. We can’t wait to kick those new-gen chickens.

homefront_the_revolution_6

26. Homefront: The Revolution

Last seen in: Homefront: The Revolution is open-world, out 2015 – trailer

We first heard this one was coming about two years ago, but it’s official; the next Homefront is going open-world thanks to Crytek UK, and it’s coming to PS4, PC, Xbox One, Mac and Linux in 2015. It’s set four years after North Korea assumed control of the US with its superior technology, and it’s up to your band of rebels to take it back. We weren’t too keen on the first game, but it’s the open-world setting that appeals to us most. It could work.

Mortal_kombat_x

25. Mortal Kombat X

Last seen in: Mortal Kombat X officially confirmed for 2015, trailer inside

The ninth Mortal Kombat game was a solid reboot that took the series’ special blend of bone crunching, head decapitating madness to a new generation. It had a great combo system, tons of chunky characters, audacious Fatalities and a neat story mode. We’re expecting more of the same with some new tricks, but with the added bonus of being on new-gen machines as well. This can only be a good thing, surely?

resident_evil_6

24. Resident Evil 7

Last seen in: Capcom doesn’t want to repeat series mistakes, but what else can it do?

It seems that Resident Evil 7 rumours appear every E3 season, but we’re hopeful that Capcom will drop something in LA next week. What will the new game look like? Well, if the company has a lick of sense it’ll ditch the over-emphasis on gunplay and truly, honestly take the series back to its roots like it’s been promising for some time now. Chuck in some Barry Burton for good measure please Capcom. Ta!

battlecry_bethesda_game_2

23. Battlecry

Last seen in: Battlecry is Bethesda’s take on Team Fortress – trailer

This one took us by surprise recently, as it wasn’t leaked ahead of time and because it’s another new IP. Interestingly, Battlecry was designed by Half-Life 2 and Dishonored’s Viktor Antonov, so that plants it firmly on our radar straight off the bat. It’s a multiplayer combat game set in an interesting post-apocalyptic steampunk world with chunky character and even chunkier facial hair. Plus, watch that trailer, seriously.

evolve_goliath

22. Evolve

Last seen in: Watch the hunters in Evolve try to bring down a Goliath and Mega Mouths

Turtle Rock’s spiritual successor to Left 4 Dead is feeling better each time we play or see it, and it’s not hard to see why. The 4v1 multiplayer format demands strict teamwork in order to take the alien player down effectively, and there’s an incredible amount of class diversity and skills to play with. We’re big Left 4 Dead fans here at VG247, and in the absence of a third game out of Valve we’re glad someone’s keeping this blend for co-op alive and well.

dragon_age_inquisition

21. Dragon Age: Inquisition

Last seen in: Dragon Age: Inquisition screenshots show off Emprise Du Lion

This is sounding mighty interesting. It might not be open-world as first rumoured, but BioWare is making Dragon Age bigger in this third instalment, with only you and your all-star Inquisition team standing between the Breach and the salvation of Thedas. It sounds like it’ll go back to the roots of Origins, with plenty of moral consequence and tough decisions to be made as you assemble the team, and let’s not forget that it’s looking rather shiny on PC and the new-gens.

1. fengato

Was just making a list like this in the shower! Personally hyped for Battlefront and Halo 5.

#1 4 months ago
  2. AmiralPatate

The most anticipated games are those we don’t know of yet.

#2 4 months ago
  3. xbenblasterx

@fengato Why did you have to do it in the shower?

#3 4 months ago
  4. Matt Martin

I can’t believe Dave and Pat forced Bayonetta 2 on there :)

Grown men.

#4 4 months ago
  5. kyr95

Mine is Kingdom Hearts 3- my childhood dream coming true! :’)

#5 4 months ago
  6. Legendaryboss

MGS 5: The Phantom Pain, all other games are on the wait and see list.

#6 4 months ago
  7. mamu-ti

I want Fallout 4 and Deus Ex

#7 4 months ago
  8. fengato

@xbenblasterx In mah head, silly. ;-)

#8 4 months ago
  9. tmac2011

mortal kombat X and metal gear solid V is what im looking forward too. hopefully MGS5 has a release date for E3 would be really nice

#9 4 months ago
  10. Joe Musashi

Some good variety of titles on there. Two of my favourite franchises too. :)

JM

#10 4 months ago
  11. Dog4life

Not really hyped now for any of them.

looking forward for some fresh footage.

#11 4 months ago
  12. The_Red

Don’t agree with most placement but then again, I’m not really high on most of known games.

Project Beast & Mortal Kombat X.
    That’s it for me.

#12 4 months ago
  13. undermyrules

6.halo lol 3..legend of zelda…rofl 26.Homefront… such list..

#13 4 months ago
  14. mistermogul

Er,… Monolithsoft’s “X”?

#14 4 months ago
  15. Legendaryboss

@mistermogul Forget X :lol: Where is Pokemon?

#15 4 months ago
  16. Mike W

I’m interested to see Resident evil 7, the new Uncharted and God of War, Witcher 3 and the new Zelda game.

#16 4 months ago
  17. Darkfield

I was about to rage until I saw the first spot.

#17 4 months ago
  18. jomac3db

Final fantasy 15, uncharted 4, deep down, mortal kombat, God of war 4, the order 1886, and contra

#18 4 months ago
  19. mistermogul

@Legendaryboss – Don’t hold your breath mate! Can’t see Wii U Pokemon coming for some reason…

@Mike W – Good choice of games sir!

#19 4 months ago
  20. Dog4life

Where is Peggle 2 for ps4 ? ahahahahaah

No really , i want that game so bad

#20 4 months ago
  21. polygem

destiny
    metroid
    castlevania symphony of the night 2 :D
    smash bros
    bayonetta 2
    project beast
    gow
    day z final build :D

#21 4 months ago
  22. Legendaryboss

@mistermogul Who’s talking about Wii U? I meant 3DS.

#22 4 months ago
  23. mistermogul

@Legendaryboss my bad :(

#23 4 months ago
  24. Mike W

@polygem

Not bad poly….

@Mistermogul

Thanks :D

#24 4 months ago
  25. Telepathic.Geometry

Dave you made a mistake. Project Beast should have been number 1.

#25 4 months ago
  26. Mike W

@Telepathic.Geometry

It does look good lol.

That has to be Demon Souls 2…..

#26 4 months ago
  27. polygem

@Mike W

thx, in no particular order btw.

i am also interested in some of the other games on this list including zelda (i hope for a top down one though – unlikely), the division etc. and others like the evil within.
    i also hope for lots and lots of unannounced stuff this e3.

most of all i really want that castlevania game to be true, more infos and gameplay for project beast and a new metroid…then all the rest :D

#27 4 months ago
  28. ManuOtaku

mine are in not particular order:

Sunset Overdrive, bayonetta 2, the division, tom raider 2, destiny, zelda, far cry 4, uncharted, smash brothers, god of war and tge witcher.

Also Some unknown games (Surprises).

#28 4 months ago
  29. Persia13

The Crew?! The Witcher 3?! Mirror’s Edge?! Mass Effect 4?! Star Wars Battlefront?!
    Seriously.

#29 4 months ago
  30. Clupula

I think shaking up the series is the last thing the God of War franchise needs. They tried that with Ascension and angered the fanbase something mighty.

#30 4 months ago
  31. Arnvidr

Admitting such an article might be okay to break up into two pages, but four is just ridiculous. That last page especially.

#31 4 months ago
  32. mathk

wtf that list.

#32 4 months ago
  33. 2-K

There Should be Mirror’s Edge on the List

#33 4 months ago
  34. BrokenSpline

@2-K

Nope doubt it. Dice is working on Battlefront with DICE LA.

#34 4 months ago
  35. Obernox

What #7 said.

#35 4 months ago
  36. kingy

Now I’ve seen them all in a list I want them all

#36 4 months ago
  37. salarta

On Resident Evil 7: every E3 season makes it sound like the franchise has gone more years without an entry. :P I want to see RE7 announced, starring Jill and/or Claire with few to none of the characters from RE6 in it (Chris and Leon especially shouldn’t be anywhere in sight since they’ve been stars in nearly everything for the past 10 years), but it hasn’t reached a point where the silence is taking too long just yet. Also, the next game should really focus on a female character regardless of who it is. The people working on the franchise lately have such a bad case of male character obsession, and it’s to the point that I really don’t want to play the games anymore unless they star Jill or Claire. I skipped RE6, bought Revelations.

Final Fantasy XV: It may be turning its back on gameplay, but it’s bringing back the things that actually make a Final Fantasy game count as a Final Fantasy game and not some random thing with the brand name and a few bastardized concepts slapped on it to sell copies. What I’ve seen so far, assuming Lightning isn’t in it anywhere, has a good chance of getting me to actually buy a Squeenix game, and that’s saying a hell of a lot.

Tomb Raider 2: Bleh. I know it’s going to happen, and I’ll have to just roll my eyes and watch this crap continue until 20 years from now when the next generation deems THIS version to be a pile of crap just like this generation has decided the original and proper Tomb Raider and Lara Croft were somehow intrinsically bad in every fathomable way. That doesn’t mean I have to like it or wish it well in any way whatsoever.

Legend of Zelda: I haven’t played the latest console entry, but Zelda seems to be full of solid entries. While I’m writing this, I notice Metroid is conspicuously absent. Is this because we haven’t heard anything at all about a potential new game, or is it because of how horrendous Other M was, and how badly the next Smash Bros game seems to be treating Samus by design, that a Metroid game isn’t anticipated at all? I would assume it’s because we haven’t heard anything, but the Borderlands entry leads me to believe that isn’t enough on its own.

Metal Gear Solid 5: I’m not sure if it’ll close the loop on the franchise. I think we’d need to see Big Boss interact with Frank Jaeger and Naomi Hunter, at the very least, before it really feels that way. It’s very, very possible we’ll get both in Phantom Pain, because I don’t expect Kojima to give away surprises like that for fans, but we’ll have to see. My personal suspicion is that we might not see the loop truly close until we reach a retelling of the Metal Gear games from Big Boss’ perspective.

#37 4 months ago
  38. Armitage Shanks

I would love to see more footage of No Mans Sky than pretty much anything else.

#38 4 months ago
  39. yeoung

The Last Guardian! Right?

Right…?

I made myself sad..

#39 4 months ago
  40. Brenna Hillier

@yeoung ha ha. I wouldn’t hold my breath. I think it’s in dev hell.

#40 4 months ago
  41. BrahManDude

yeah i agree with the list except Borderhash 3 and Destiny

#41 4 months ago
  42. Dave Cook

I’ve messed this list up. Streets of Rage 4 should have been top.

#42 4 months ago
  43. OlderGamer

Kind of depressing, I wouldn’t play most of these games if they were free.

Everyone it seems would have their own list anyways. I have a list. Just different.

My number one game on my list is Diablo III: Reaper of Souls PS4 edition.

Why? Because it is one of the few games that I know I can easily put upwards of 500hours into playing. Toss in couch co-op(the wife loves Action RPGS), the great controls(D3 was fantastic on PS360), and that has me and most of my close gamer friends planning to buy copies. But I don’t need E3 to sell me on the game, I know I want it.

What I am actually anticipating from E3 are game reveals that I don’t know about yet. It would be nice if the “conference” was less about pumping big name franchises and yearly releases and more about actual game discovery. Less marketing. And it isn’t because I don’t like some of the established franchises, it is just that I get tired of being seemingly smothered by them. The hype/marketing is a monster that turns me(and many of my friends off about gaming today). Anyone recall going to a store and discovering a game you didn’t know was coming and enjoying it. It was Xmass morning as a little kid. I did that with Guardian Heroes and so much more. Now it is pump them preorders. And sell that DLC. Very corperate.

Sigh, yeah I know. Cynical and old. That is me.

#43 4 months ago
  44. ManuOtaku

@OlderGamer thats why we like you, for being cynical and old, proud of those gray hairs. ;-).

#44 4 months ago
  45. OlderGamer

@Manu

#45 4 months ago
  46. KewreL

We’ve got “all of the Milky Way to explore” in Destiny? I take it you guys don’t realise it’s our galaxy that’s called the Milky Way, not the solar system. If you count the orbit of Neptune as the edge of the solar system (I wouldn’t), the Milky Way is almost 2 million times larger.

#46 4 months ago