GTA Online: Rockstar’s fixed it, and you should be playing right now

Thursday, 15th May 2014 16:00 GMT By Patrick Garratt

GTA Online launched a broken mess. Eight months and a ton of free DLC has made everything good. Here’s why you should get involved.

gtao_header

Rockstar released GTA Online’s High Life Update this week, causing virtual street parties everywhere. I tried to play it at launch, and, like practically everyone else, couldn’t because everything was broken.

Never more. High Life dropped in tons of new vehicles, jobs and guns, but that’s all in the future for me. I just wanted to see if it worked. And it does. This all happened to me within an hour of turning it on.

These are the reasons you should be getting into GTA Online right now.

1 – Because you could look as awesome as me. Actually, I doubt it. But you could try.

2 – Because all these guys were playing it at 9am on a Thursday morning.

3 – Because you go to heaven when you’re dead. Straight up.

4 – Because you get a free sawed-off shotgun. And we all know life is better with free sawed-off shotguns.

5 – Because the radio tells you to go fuck yourself (toggle the sound).

6 – Because there are winners. And losers.

7 – Because the game takes the piss out of you if you’re playing like a donkey.

8 – Because you can play Team Deathmatch in an abandoned hotel with actual children (toggle the sound).

9 – Because even random crews look like this.

10 – Because, as in the main game, there’s never a shortage of things to do. I was getting constant calls through my phone to races and shooting matches. Those things popping up in the bottom left are invites from random players. GTA Online is very much alive.

See? I might even create a crew, because I’m so hip on the kids. Seriously, you should play. Get to it.

1. CyberMarco

And I’m here waiting for the PC release… oh man!

#1 4 months ago
  2. happydan

I played the hell out of the game as part of Reddit’s GTAA crew until I got myself a brand new PC to replace the Xbox 360 under the TV. I cancelled my LIVE Gold account but do still miss the game. I would definitely still play if Rockstar would just release a PC version. In fact, if they do, it should be able to remedy some of the shortcomings of the last-gen versions, namely, the fact that the GTA:O city is so much less vibrant than GTAV, and the draw distance is awful.

Also, I really wish the game had longboards and skateboards. That would be awesome.

#2 4 months ago
  3. AmiralPatate

@CyberMarco
    I know that feel bro.

#3 4 months ago
  4. Patrick Garratt

I couldn’t believe how many people were playing it first thing on a weekday morning. I’m going to take a look again tonight. It’ll come to PC, for sure. I’m all about a PS4 version.

#4 4 months ago
  5. happydan

@Patrick Garratt I dunno, I’ve heard mixed stories about whether either PC or PS4 versions are likely. I’ve been told there are builds running on both, but nothing on plans to release them.

#5 4 months ago
  6. Patrick Garratt

@happydan It’ll happen. I just don’t think they can turn the money down. It’s a complete no-brainer.

#6 4 months ago
  7. AmiralPatate

@Patrick Garratt
    It’s been eight months and not even a word from Rockstar. I’m sure it’ll make its way to PC because they can easily make another billion there, but the silence is getting ridiculous. They could at least announce “Soon™”.

#7 4 months ago
  8. Patrick Garratt

@AmiralPatate Rockstar through and through! They won’t say anything until the last minute as they won’t want to spoil the last-gen sales. I reckon it’ll happen at the end of this year.

#8 4 months ago
  9. Talkar

Are heists added yet?
    ‘Cause if they are i’m all in!
    If not, then i’ll wait…

#9 4 months ago
  10. Sethos

It’s still a broken mess. Played it two weeks ago, what a pile of shit with an awful hit detection and the visuals even take a hit.

#10 4 months ago
  11. TenPint

If this got an Xbox One version I’d play the everloving shit out of it

#11 4 months ago
  12. treborr

Just a heads up, that article is pretty brutal loading on a phone.

#12 4 months ago
  13. AmiralPatate

@Patrick Garratt
    I remember they announced GTA IV PC way in advance, and then it got pushed back three months. Maybe they’re trying to not disappoint everybody with the pushing back part. Still a definitive word of confirmation would be nice.

#13 4 months ago
  14. Patrick Garratt

@treborr Ja. I should have split it into two pages. I will next time.

#14 4 months ago
  15. tenthousandgothsonacid

I sold my ps3 version whilst it was still worth 30 quid and await the ps4 version and I’ll happily start again. I miss Trevor.

#15 4 months ago
  16. Obernox

I’m hoping for a PS4 version because GTA5 runs really rough on my PS3…. I’ve actually stopped playing it because of that reason.

#16 4 months ago
  17. jmg24bad

I still play. Much fun to be had

#17 4 months ago
  18. FreeZZa

@Talkar Unfortunately no. But they promised to release Heists in Spring. My bet is on a date somewhere around E3.

Topic:
    From time to time I still jump back and faffing around with some friends. It runs very solidly on my 360, but the framerate could be better.

#18 4 months ago