Nintendo full-year financials below expectations with 6.17 million Wii U consoles sold to-date

Wednesday, 7th May 2014 08:55 GMT By Dave Cook

Nintendo has published its financial report for the fiscal year ended March 31, 2014. The company’s final figures have come in below expectations, with 6.17 million Wii U console sold worldwide since the machine launched, along with a more-positive 43 million 3DS handhelds to-date.

Nintendo sales to date

In its financial report issued this morning, Nintendo posted revenue of ¥571.7 billion / $5.6 billion, which is a 10% year-on-year decline. As such, the firm suffered losses of ¥23.2 billion / $228.6 million, compared to last year’s ¥7.1 billion profit / $69.9 million.

However, the firm remains positive that it will hit profit for the 2014 fiscal year ending March 31, 2015, as it ramps up its release slate, merchandising and digital sales. It has projected revenue of ¥590 billion / $5.81 billion, and an estimated ¥20 billion / $196.9 million profit.

Since launching in the 2012 holiday period, the Wii U has sold just 6.17 million consoles, with 2.72 million of those sold in the last 12 months.

In software, Nintendo has now sold some 32.28 million Wii U titles to date with 18.9 million in the last 12 months, while 3DS software sales have that a life-total of 162.92 million units.

Nintendo’s biggest releases were Pokemon X/Y at 12.26 million copies sold worldwide, followed by Animal Crossing: New Leaf at 7.66 million units to-date. The firm touted the release of Wii U games Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros as ones to watch out for.

We’ll have more on the Nintendo report as it happens.

1. Fin

Soooo, is Iwata going to resign yet?

#1 4 months ago
  2. tenthousandgothsonacid

If the Wii tops out at 100m there’s an outside chance the ps3 might catch it one day (~80m atm).

#2 4 months ago
  3. The_Red

6.17 million for Wii U, is it sold to retailer (Shipped) or sold to consumer (Actual Sell)?
    Either way, 3DS is doing decently enough and with Wii U being left to die (If their sub 4 million projection is anything to go by), I really hope they have something else to show other than QOL.

#3 4 months ago
  4. Gheritt White

They better hurry along with this Fusion idea! Tbh, the idea of a handheld gaming system that you can dock with base-station connected to your TV for a full home console experience is actually very compelling.

#4 4 months ago
  5. kingy

They need to drop the price of the wii u , I would defo buy one at £175 which in my opinion is what it is worth that’s the same price that I bought the wii at and I have over 35 games for the wii and I also have loads of old classics downloaded on the console , I know the wii u dose not have loads of games but I would buy just about all of the Nintendo developed games and I buy them new not second hand , I know there are other people out there like me ,I’m not the only one .nintendo need to get off their high horse and realise they are a gimicky budget console maker that make fantastic gaming experiences some of the best games out are nintendos own games but they can’t charge a priemium price for the console no one will buy it which is what is happening now it’s so sad and really pisses me off ….rant over

#5 4 months ago
  6. ManuOtaku

Well iam surprise with the increase of software sell numbers on wiiu, that beyond all the bad things is possitive.
    Also This coming months are vital, with the mario kart bundle, i hope they can achieve an increase, and an overall N64 levels of units sold.
    As For the resignation of Iwata, he had success with the wii, Ds and 3Ds, out of 4 consoles, only the wiiu can be considered bad, therefore i believe he should keep his position.

#6 4 months ago
  7. Joe Musashi

Though I can’t see it detailed in the article above*, the english PDF of the report mentions a forecast of 3.6m worldwide unit sales for Wii U for the next 12 months. (Bottom of page 15, represented as “360″ – in tens of thousands).

3.6m Wii U sold to March 2015 is an alarming scaling down of expectation from Nintendo. If this is their positioning, one has to wonder how much they plan to invest in software support for a platform turning over those figures. A new Zelda or Metroid title, that many are already anticipating, may no longer be certain to appear.

JM

*In fairness to Dave, this appears to focus on figures up to the end of the last financial year rather than any forecasts for the next financial year.

#7 4 months ago
  8. Joe Musashi

@6 Iwata has been at the helm for the only periods of Nintendo’s long life when the company has made repeated losses – and, over the last 12 months in particular, his insistence to commit to impossible projections rather than adjust them (as he finally has done – after that damage to the company’s commercial reputation has been done) were absolutely not in the corporation’s interests. That’s an indellible black-mark against him. Whilst it’s nice to focus only on the positives, they don’t represent the full picture.

Additionally, talking up titles such as Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros is contradicted by those knee-capped sales forecasts buried in the PDF report. The statements tell you what’s coming out of their mouths, but those numbers tell you what’s going on in their minds.

JM

#8 4 months ago
  9. Dragon

@The_Red ,
    Shipped. That is the only number companies can provide with certainty, especially for failed products like Wii U.

The report,from start to finish, shows how incompetent ninty board is, headed by headless Iwata. Wii U is dead, 3DS is way down (2m Q projected, sold 500k). Not a single bright spot to be happy about (except software, but meh).
    The report probably makes a damn good point how their software sales are throttled by abysmal hardware sales. 3DS, for all the domination ninty has in handheld market, is more than 2 million down last year, and at this rate, wont sell even 10 million this FY.

Again, if someone was in doubt, Wii U is over, this report just confirms it. And I wont be surprised if it doesn’t even sell its quota of 3.6 million.

#9 4 months ago
  10. ManuOtaku

@Joe Musashi sorry if my opinion just focus on positives, the thing is that i do try to offer a positive view of things in order to put an equilibrium torwards constant negative comnents by the usual commenters on nintendo news, ones that never puts the positives. This basecally to give a different view in order to give both sides of the spectrum, so a reader can make his/her own opinion.
    Regarding Losses as an indicative, the arent also the whole picture either, because they are part of any business, not all the time a company make profits, certainly is the main goal, but for a lot of reasons that could be internal or external, losses are part of the business. Secondly nintendo can still make profits while having gaming related problems or the other way around, they could make profits out of the mcdonalds deal, that could cut the losses, bur gaming wise is not possitive, therefore there are a lot of factors in play.
    I still Believe that for one bad product and for a year with lesser profits and lossed, is a bit earlier to call for a dismiss, but again there are a lot of things and factors involve to make such a decision, with all the positives and negatives into account in order to make the call.

#10 4 months ago
  11. Joe Musashi

@10 That you feel a need/desire to combat the opinions of others reveals more than you might wish.

Focusing only on the positives and overlooking negatives is just as bad as focusing only on negatives and overlooking of positives.

It doesn’t provide balance, just an alternative but just as narrow view.

JM

#11 4 months ago
  12. ManuOtaku

@Joe Musashi of course i feel the need, as much as the others do with their constant negative comments, i have the same right, i dont need your permision or approval to do so. And if this says a lot about me, having multiple accounts here shatner, kerplunk and now joe, says also a lot of you, the thing is i dont want to undermine your point of view, in the way you want to undermine mine
    For The balance, that is not me or you to decide, just the readers, people can see all the comments and track history, to make their own conclusions.

#12 4 months ago
  13. Joe Musashi

Over-reacting much?

JM

#13 4 months ago
  14. ManuOtaku

@Joe Musashi maybe iam, the thing is that this is because of how the things were handled in the past, and even now in this comunity. I am fine if you dont agree with me, but why you have to imply a have an issue in the way i posted, like i do have Some sort of a mental problem, why the attack?, maybe it wasnt an attack, but keeping in mind past events, seems like an attack.
    Man please for the sake of a healthy discussuion, put your ideas without something like that, i havent Attack you in the same way, i try to give you respect to get respect from you. i do admire the way you write english, you elaborate pretty well your ideas, with an impeccable writing. The thing is sometimes you choose to go agaisnt some commenters in a very pedantic hurtful way,myself Included, i believe i havent done the same to you, until now. Let The past wounds close, for the sake of this comunity.

#14 4 months ago
  15. Gheritt White

@ManuOtaku You’re a cunt and all of your opinions are worthless.

#15 4 months ago
  16. ManuOtaku

@Gheritt White why? please elaborate, in order to improve as a person.

#16 4 months ago
  17. unknown_gamer

Can’t they just bring the Fatal frame IP back to Tecmo , i’m sick and tired of them getting potential titles on undeserved platform like the Wii / Wii U , i don’t give a crap about the Wii U Controller and how it fits the game , just let the IP smell a fresh air on other platforms .. at least they may had a chance to get localized by specific publishers , i don’t trust them anymore after not giving FF4 any interest and claiming that they didn’t localize it according to the “Bugs” , THEY LIED and the game runs perfectly fine without any issues , its ironic how important games like Fatal Frame don’t get the localization sign when there’s core fans did translate the game by themselves , I say STOP IT.

#17 4 months ago
  18. Gheritt White

@ManuOtaku Because you smell of wee.

#18 4 months ago
  19. ManuOtaku

@Gheritt White can you smell it all over the inetrnet?, woow I must smell real badly then, <_ _ >, …. runs to the shower…

#19 4 months ago
  20. Gheritt White

@ManuOtaku My work here is done.

#20 4 months ago
  21. ManuOtaku

@Gheritt White glad i can help ;)

#21 4 months ago
  22. heyvc

What they need is what Every Pokemon Fan Wants – A Wii U Pokemon game. And not a fighter… A RPG.. like the hand held ones but full fledge 3D for Wii U.. and when you cast a pokemon.. you play as that pokemon.. Just like ni no kuni.. but better… THAT would make nintendo profits FLY

#22 4 months ago
  23. fearmonkey

No one is buying the Wii-u at it’s current price, they really need to find a way to drop the cost so they can lower it. I would love a Wii-u just to play a few Wii-u exclusives, but it’s not worth it to me to buy one for it’s current cost. The problem is right now I (and everyone else) has so many gaming options. I have tons of PC games I have never payed yet on Steam, games left unfinished or unplayed on Xbox 360, and games I I need to finish or looking forward to on PS4.

I know I would love some of the titles on the Wii-u but I just don’t care that much about the controller, I just want to play some of the titles.There isnt a ton of Wii-u titles I really am dying to play, just a few, and I am not paying a ton fo get that privilege.

#23 4 months ago
  24. ManuOtaku

@heyvc sounds good a nino kuni touch, by the way great game, i love it and also my kids, but i dont think it will sell that much, on consoles pokemon is not the selling beast that it is on handhelds.

#24 4 months ago
  25. Dragon

Worse ninty hardware sales since 1998. Less than 20 million for the first time in that period, 1/3rd of the peak. 3DS worse than GBA even in peak year (hardly a success).

Pretty solid condemnation.