Need for Speed on break till 2015, new game “deep in development”

Tuesday, 6 May 2014 23:18 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Need for Speed won’t be producing a release this year, EA said in its post-earnings release conference call today, with Ghost Games general manager Marcus Nilsson posting an open letter to discuss the matter.


During the conference call, EA said it had given Ghost Games an additional year to produce the next Need for Speed game, and Nilsson’s letter on the Need for Speed website echoed this sentiment.

“We are already deep in development on our next game and want to make this promise to you: we will listen to you. We’re going to give you the game you’ve been asking for. It will be the game you deserve, but to do that will take us some time,” he wrote.

“We’ve made the decision to not release a Need for Speed in 2014, so we can work towards a highly innovative Need for Speed in 2015. An experience built on a foundation we know you’ll greatly look forward to.”

Nilsson said Ghost Games won’t be “silent” till then; it want to engage with the racer’s community, asking fans to help “shape the future of Need for Speed”.

“We want your input on future gameplay and features we know you’re passionate about. We will keep innovating, always making sure to continue the celebration of cars and the joy they bring,” he wrote.

“That’s all we can share for now but remember this is just the beginning. We’re excited and ready, so come along and join the conversation.”

The last series entry was Ghost’s 2013 release Need for Speed: Rivals.

Need for Speed was brought under the EA Sports banner last year, which may explain the change in how it is being handled; additionally, long-time series developer Criterion bowed out, leaving Ghost Games as the sole developer of the franchise, which had been annualised for many years.