Call of Duty 2014′s in-game character visual shown at GDC – screenshot

Tuesday, 22nd April 2014 21:41 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Call of Duty 2014 is coming this fall, and a visual of an in-game character model was shown off by Sledgehammer Games at GDC last month.

cod-sledgehammer-ignpng-a29997_610w

The image, which was posted by IGN, shows how “actual in-game characters,” will look.

While it’s just a man’s face, it shows how next-gen the firm intends the game to look.

It revealed earlier this year the firm was taking a ‘next-gen first’ approach to development and insiders said the visuals represented a massive jump over Call of Duty: Ghosts.

Formats for the game have yet to be announced, but it’s assumed by many to be PC, PS4 and Xbox One only, yet other rumblings state it’s cross-generation. We’ll know more once Activision announces something.

1. Panthro

This will add more realism to the already realistic gameplay.

Why did they use a strap buckle which looks like it has been pulled straight out of a PS2 game?

#1 3 months ago
  2. Legendaryboss

I seriously can’t tell if your post is parody? Your so darn convincing! PS2 buckle? They have to cut corners somewhere.

Pic: I won’t believe it until i see it in action, I still remember the lies from last year.

#2 3 months ago
  3. Opalauge

@Panthro

Already realistic gameplay?!?!?

Did I miss the irony?

#3 3 months ago
  4. Panthro

@Legendaryboss

You don’t think CoD is authentic? I think it is probably as close to real warfare as it can get without actually being there in a firefight.

The mixture of the real life guns, real life outfits, real life locations, real life bloody screen to signal low health and now real life character textures (minus the buckle) nothing really comes close to how authentic this IP gets and that is why it sells so well, for the realism.

#4 3 months ago
  5. Panthro

And even health regeneration is realistic but obviously takes a little bit longer in real life but who wants to site there for months waiting for a bullet to heal when your in a game? so they speed it up for convenience as well as realism to show how a body does heal itself over time.

#5 3 months ago
  6. Erthazus

Yeah. It looks okay at best. They give a false sense of good graphics. In reality it’s just a high-end texture on top of a model. You can see that they don’t want to show you eyes and by the look of it… meh.
    This time around they probably use a ton of motion capture just to make it look polished. Wait and see how it looks.

#6 3 months ago
  7. Legendaryboss

@4/5
    I’ll take that as a yes then!

#7 3 months ago
  8. macronia

OKAY , but when we got to see the GAME ?

#8 3 months ago
  9. Panthro

I wish I wasn’t payodying :/ I miss the days when I found CoD enjoyable.

#9 3 months ago
  10. Panthro

Parodying*

#10 3 months ago
  11. CPC_RedDawn

Yeeeeeeeeeeea!!!

Welcome to 2007 call of duty you have finally managed to NEARLY match Crysis 1 level of facial realism!!

Here have a cookie and after the shit storm disaster that was Ghosts I shall be pirating every game you ever make from now on in a hope you go out a business!

#11 3 months ago
  12. gameoholic007

They need to change COD entirely, this modern warfare crap is for the birds, and the main reason I stopped buying COD after COD4.

#12 3 months ago
  13. undermyrules

Crysis had this in 2007……such visual much wow…NOT …consoles are the main reason why you see this level of graphic fidelity after almost 8 years….

#13 3 months ago
  14. schnide

@Legendaryboss

This is too dry for irony. I think he’s an idiot trying to make himself sound smart (and achieving the exact opposite).

#14 3 months ago
  15. bradk825

Graphics alone won’t pry me away from Destiny, Dragon Age and Titanfall this year. If COD wants my money this time out they will have to do something drastic in the gameplay department.

If I want to play a fast-paced multiplayer shooter right now, Titanfall is more fun. I’ve been a die-hard COD player for a long time, but they’ve lost me for at least a couple years unless they rebuild, not just renovate.

#15 3 months ago
  16. boiled lobster

In Call of Duty there isn’t a place on a map that cannot be ambushed. Titanfall is just the opposite — the entire map feels like a safe haven. In Call of Duty you can feel too vulnerable to move, but in Titanfall movement is too empowering to stop.

Call of Duty Ghosts is an FPS grinder, like an RPG but without the addiction. (http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/games/blog/screenplay/your-turn-the-hidden-costs-of-freetoplay-game-addiction-20131015-2vkm2.html) Playing it feels like working a second job. No wonder players are quitting!

COD 2014 will not alter this formula.

#16 3 months ago
  17. Dog4life

COD ?

who cares, still same crap even if it will get decent graphics.

Sad thing shit sells, just like Jersey Shore.

#17 3 months ago