Titanfall producer: “I don’t know if it’s making a profit. I don’t care”

Thursday, 17th April 2014 09:51 GMT By Matt Martin

Titanfall producer Drew McCoy ain’t give a shit if his game is making dollars, he’s doing it for the love.

Xbox Titanfall launch

Speaking to GameSpot, McCoy said he’s happy the development team is still working on it – he’s not in this business for the cheddar.

“I care that I worked on a game that I can sit down and enjoy playing. The fact that people enjoy it and it has made enough that we [get to] continue supporting it as a studio, that’s to me a success. We make games because we love them and we want other people to play them with us.”

Love won’t buy the baby new shoes, Drew.

He didn’t want to be drawn on competition with the likes of Battlefield or Call of Duty, but said he hopes that Titanfall inspires others to make games their own way rather than follow a formula.

“There’s been some really colossal failures… there’s been games that looked at what’s popular and go ‘oh, if we have this, people will buy our game.’ And then it just completely fails, because they missed the reason as to why that game was good and they didn’t try anything new.”

“So I hope what Titanfall does, as a gamer and as someone who wants to see the industry get better and make cooler stuff, is try new things and not just try and copy what’s good.”

1. dsr

I bet he’s just butthurt about the whole Xbone exclusive thing.

Killzone sold better than Titanfall and that game was average at best. Imagine how popular could Titanfall get if not for stupid deal between EA and MS.

#1 5 months ago
  2. dazedonthemoon

@dsr
    Eh won’t have to worry about that with Titanfall 2! Hooray

#2 5 months ago
  3. harmundo

@dsr “Killzone sold better than Titanfall” – proof?

#3 5 months ago
  4. aseddon130

@1 nobody is butthurt about anything, with the exception the sony fanboys who don’t have Titanfall to play on their systems.

#4 5 months ago
  5. KAP

@harmundo

dsr is right, Killzone has sold more to date, I also read that somewhere too but it doesn’t take away from Titanall, it’s obviously a better title then Killzone so relax.

#5 5 months ago
  6. Major Mayhem 70

@dsr
    Butthurt is the vibe that you picked up from this guy?!? Really???
    I believe he is quite confident in the game he created and the revenue he has gotten from it. Ask dazedonthemoon, he’s already talking about Titanfall 2. Don’t he know they’re still working on the DLC for Titanfall 1? Smh lol

#6 5 months ago
  7. Dragon

Yeah, obviously he doesn’t care as long as he gets paid.

EA cares though, and that is what that matters, and hence multiplatform will be the future for this franchise.

#7 5 months ago
  8. schnide

“..ain’t give a shit if his game is making dollars..”

That Pullitzer prize is only minutes away, I can feel it!

#8 5 months ago
  9. Kreion

@Major Mayhem 70
    Tbf that’s pretty common. Most Game devs start work on the sequel (very early work mind) whilst they are making DLC for the original – it doesn’t take as many resources to make DLC after all.

#9 5 months ago
  10. Mike W

If they would’ve put a story campaign into TF (a real one ) I would’ve scoop that game up in a heart beat.

#10 5 months ago
  11. bobnice

@dsr

@KAP

I highly doubt you are right. I can almost guarantee that Kill zone: shadow fall did not sell more than Titanfall.

Kill zone is only available on the PS4 which has 7 million user base, while Titanfall is available for Xbox One which has probably around 4-5 million users, is also out for Xbox 360 which has about 80 million user, and is also available for PC which well…everyone has a PC.

so no, you both are wrong. Titanfall has pushed kill zones shit in.

#11 5 months ago
  12. bobnice

@aseddon130

rumor is its Sony’s own fault that Titanfall is not on playstation.

According to Jeff Keighley, Sony said no to Titanfall. Word is Microsoft jumped in and saved the game from being scrapped due to low budget.

here is the info:

#12 5 months ago
  13. bradk825

I know they sold over a million in their first week, but I haven’t seen updates since then, and those numbers were based off the title alone, so I don’t know how many “Titanfall bundle” XB1s have been sold. I am sure the game has been profitable, whether or not McCoy gives a shit, lol.

If EA has anything to say about it, and they do, it’s likely going to be a multi-platform game next time around. Not just for strictly business reasons, after-all, exclusivity happens for business reasons too. EA has an obsessive desire to take the top shooter spot away from Activision, and I think they may finally have the team in place to do it. They were banking on Battlefield but’s that’s just never going to take over.

#13 5 months ago
  14. Legendaryboss

Killzone SF sold 2.1 million (official), Titanfall has no figures. But it goes like this Xbox One = PC = Xbox360 (nothing on vgchartz) if you want estimates: 1.55 million. Killzone SF = Titanfall. Until then you feel free to keep on trying.

#14 5 months ago
  15. Legendaryboss

Edit: To @11 not 1.

#15 5 months ago
  16. Dirkster_Dude

“I don’t know if it’s making a profit, I don’t know if it’s meeting sales expectations. I don’t really care,” he said. — Of course he cares enough that he wants to be able to earn enough to make a living and hope the game does well so he can make more games. I think what he is saying is the money for him isn’t the reason he developed the game. A reasonable person would expect that, but what I can also see him not wanting to do is be drawn into the foolish debate on which game is better, because no matter what he can’t win that argument with everyone.

#16 5 months ago
  17. bobnice

@dsr

you do realize killzone has a 4 month head start on Titanfall right…

#17 5 months ago
  18. gameoholic007

KZ sold very well for being on only one platform, and it didn’t need mech’s, PC’s, or weak last gen hardware to help it any.

#18 5 months ago
  19. Arcnail

Ya the only thing I’m seeing here is butthurt Sony fans.

1. His message is, as long as it allows us to keep making games, then I don’t care. Pretty easy.

2. Where are you getting Killzone (released in Nov btw) has sold more than Titanfall? You talking just Xbone or it and the PC and the 360? Ya.. you have no clue, shut up.

3. Anyone who really follows vids knows that Titanfall was offered to both Sony and MS, and MS was the only one of the 2 that would provide hosting of the game in their ‘cloud’. Google it.

#19 5 months ago
  20. Doppleganger

You do realize Killzone was the only game on ps4 at the time and was so for the next 4 months.
    There was no other title worthy to show off the console.
    I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s 1 to 1 ratio for each console sold.
    I own titanfall and I personally think it’s crap.

#20 5 months ago
  21. Panthro

@gameoholic007

Despite it being better looking it is still a pile of Michael Bay inspired turd.
    It doesn’t even come close to how good Titanfall was, I loved Killzone 2 though.

I actually prefer Sony over MS to for that matter, but that still doesn’t ‘cloud’ my judgement over which games are better. Ba’dum-tss.

#21 5 months ago
  22. Panthro

And even still Titanfall isn’t THAT good, but it is more of a game than -follow -cinematic- ambush- gunfight- follow-
    cinematic-gunfight -follow- gunfight- cinematic.

Infamous is poo aswell.

The only ‘next gen’ game I have gotten down with and enjoyed is Ground Zeroes, no hand holding crap (since I dont use the OP tagging which I hope is excluded from TPP) it is how I remember games being.

The no objective marker with the tape? Brilliant, I hope more games drop the act of ‘mature’ just being guns and blood and actually create something with a little thought that a child would have trouble playing, instead of just empty violence.

#22 5 months ago
  23. digmouse

According to The Final Hours of Titanfall, Respawn actually contacted Sony asking for a dev kit of PS4 so they can bring Titanfall to it but Sony wasn’t simply ready to talk about it, they even asked Respawn to bring it to PS Vita (rofl), while MSFT approached them first and offered information on Durango (Xbox One), it’s not surpriseing to see it coming as a MS exclusive.

#23 5 months ago
  24. gen-snake

@aseddon130 i refuse to get an xbox. i bought a pc for titanfall

#24 5 months ago
  25. dontbescaredhomie92

@DSR not really a fair comparison when that was the only exclusive available for 4 months, people bought it out of boredom haha

#25 5 months ago