Star Citizen crowdfunding total reaches $42 million, adding new fighter, towel

Tuesday, 15th April 2014 04:00 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Star Citizen fans have now poured $42 million into Roberts Space Industries’ coffers, ensuring new content both for the space sim in general as well as for all early backers.

star_citizen_towel

In the latest Letter from the Chairman, Chris Roberts confirmed the new total has guaranteed the following additions:

• Updated Observist Guide – Additional funding from the $42 million level will go to expanding the website area of the Galactapedia: expect to see holographic ships, items and navigation interface in 3D.
  • Explorer-class mobiGlas Rig – Every player who backed before we hit $42 million will start the game with their own, visually distinctive mobiGlas “ExoGlas” rig which can be used to access the Observist at any time.
  • Gladius – The Squadron 42 team will develop an additional fighter for the game, the Aegis Dynamics Gladius-class light fighter.
  • Towel – And of course, everyone who backs before we hit $42 million will also receive a towel for their hangar. Don’t explore the galaxy without it.

The towel is, of course, a reference to The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, in which the number 42 plays an important role.

Cloud Imperium Games now has stretch goals in place for $43 million and $44 million.

The sandbox is expected on PC in 2015. Check out some Star Citizen dogfighting gameplay footage.

1. The_Red

“Towel – Don’t explore the galaxy without it.”
    Ok, I’ve been pretty negative about this game but that was a good one.

#1 5 months ago
  2. HomeworldFanShip

To the dark side you will come!!!

TheWulf i know you are lurking to post more BS. Come on….

#2 5 months ago
  3. galaxy366

They really had to get another million to add a towel in the game?

#3 5 months ago
  4. HomeworldFanShip

No not really…its all about raising money at this point. Though indirectly. No one is forced to do anything.

#4 5 months ago
  5. pablo2008jedi

42mil, what a record! Can not wait for this to become reality…

#5 5 months ago
  6. TheWulf

I wasn’t going to say anything, actually. I think that the coverage of this game is making my point for me! But hey. Honestly, I don’t know how to feel about this, it’s like being a savant sooth-sayer in a world of idiots. All I’ve done is pointed out what should be painfully obvious to everyone else at this point.

It terrifies you because my instincts might just be right, and going by what we’ve seen thus far, I have no reason to doubt that. We’ve had a module where you walk around in a hangar, which is basically a Crysis mod. We’ve had some sexy car commercials, which work on dopamine-powered dolts who’re quickly parted from their money. We’ve had a dog-fighting module which is a complete mess (too buggy to have me believe they’ve spent more than a few weeks on it). And…. what have we been shown to actually believe that they’re developing a game?

If this was a con, this is how I’d run it. I’d expend the least amount of resources possible to keep people believing, to keep the money ticking over. For as long as that keeps happening, I’d keep the hype machine going. Every now and then I’d spend a bit of that money (a tiny bit) as a gamble, to knock together a game mod that a handful of talented game modders (see: Skyrim, Half-Life, Unreal, et al) could have knocked together in a few weeks.

I’d keep the interest going for as long as the money was flowing in at an even rate, then… when the money drops off, I’d make a run with the money. The thing is is that they’re not contractually obligated to make a game, they have absolutely no reason to follow through on this. And they don’t seem at all passionate, to the contrary, I’m just seeing him do the best performance act I’ve seen in a while. He’s a snake oil salesman, a flim-flam man. Rather than telling people about the game, or sounding passionate about his work, he’s just telling people what they want to hear.

I’m reminded of the John Videogames Penny Arcade strip. That’s exactly what this is.

With much less funding, Elite: Dangerous and No Man’s Sky have shown more promise, more passion, more genuine care for what they’re doing, and more progression and actual gameplay than Star Citizen has since the beginning.

You want fighter planes in space? We have all of the fighter planes. We’ll give you sexy fighter plane commercials. And you want the realistic air simulations, but in space, so that you can bank around and things? We’ll give you that. We’ll give you the authentic feel you liked from those games that you liked that had the fighter planes in them, and those other games you liked, the ones with the TIE fighters. We’ll give you all of this. Just give us money.

I doubt they’re even creating a game. And honestly, even if they do, it’s going to be incredibly half-arsed and something that they could have made for a budget of $2m or less. Even if it is released, it’ll be a broken, cheaply made thing, poorly executed and barely playable, because they don’t seem to give a damn. People are expecting the second coming of Wing Commander based upon the name, but I have absolutely no reason to believe that’s the case.

I’ve yet to be proved wrong.

My money’s on Elite and No Man’s becoming actual games, and then Star Citizen either not happening (being cancelled) or being a shambles of a game. I warned you. I’m telling you to warn you. I’m not going to be smug when this happens because I try to warn lesser minds about these things.

But do they ever listen?

We’ll see, I guess. But the buggy mess of a dogfighting module tells me all I need to know all ready.

#6 5 months ago
  7. TheWulf

Also, another thing that makes me think it’s a scam? (I forgot to mention this.) It’s a neverending Kickstarter pitch, which makes me endlessly leery.

Instead of using the money to bring them closer to finishing the game, they’re using monetary goals to achieve the buzzwords you and love, kids! Pay this much and we’ll implement this thing! Or this thing! Or this! And we won’t ever talk about development, really, or the overall goal we’re looking for to actually finish the game.

Just give us more money! More money means more buzzwords that you love! More money means more exclusive toys for you that no one else will have! More money means that you can realise this wet dream of a space sim that probably isn’t possible!

And no one else finds this constant adding of ephemeral content questionable? The kind of game they’re talking about making would probably require a budget of $500m with the kind of fidelity that they’re looking to use, it just doesn’t seem even remotely feasible to me. No matter how you slice it, with every update, this sounds more and more like a con.

#7 5 months ago
  8. TheWulf

Wow.

I was just reading about this on another site and someone pointed out this little gem. So, I did a search for it, and sure enough…

At this point, I almost admire how good they are sheistering people, if I didn’t find the act itself repugnant. And, honestly, being a little familiar with social engineering and herd psychology, I can see how this would work.

If you can’t see how this works, though, I’ll explain, okay? Please, do try to keep up.

The purpose of what they’ve done there is twofold:

a.) It pollutes search results for anyone checking a search engine for articles about the more dubious elements of Star Citizen. So searches for ‘Star Citizen scam’ turn up this as a result, and other threads where the word scam is used to describe the dubious business practises used by RSI are pushed down due to ‘lack of relevancy.’ RSI owns Star Citizen, so they can manipulate those results. Furthermore, as others link to RSI’s article, actual articles about scepticism will be pushed further down the relevancy scale of search engines. That’s already happening. It’s easy to check that for yourself.

b.) It raises the public perception of plausible deniability. I mean, oh look, RSI are acknowledging it and having a laugh about it. So let’s all have a laugh at the doubters and display our herd thinking, yes? Ha. Well, yes, that actually works. We’ve seen evidence of how both government and corporate propaganda and marketing can manipulate people many times in the past. And it allows people to feel clever by trolling and linking to RSI’s article saying things like ‘oh, you think it’s a S.C.A.M., do you?’ or whatever else. This circlejerk of one-upmanship and exclusivity just helps to make the base and unfounded belief that this isn’t a scam more concrete.

That’s… very effective. Very effective. Man, if I ever do decide to start a Kickstarter and scam people, I know exactly how to go about it. I’m taking notes, here, and just… observing, with both horror and wonder. Humans can be unobservant, clueless herd animals that never question anything. How many of them have even a penny to their name still just amazes me. But maybe it took the age of the Internet and tools like crowdfunding to actually allow these giant cons to happen. And this is the first, great con of the Internet era.

This is fascinating. Especially from a historical perspective.

Decades from now, I can see myself telling the youngers about this, and that I was there, and how I tried to convince people not to throw away their money. How I saw this all coming. And they’re going to shake their heads in disbelief and deny it. Because everyone who was even remotely interested in this kind of game bought into it, and the nay-sayers will be lost to the passage of time.

Good job, Chris Roberts. This is one of the most amazing, yet one of the most horrible things I’ve ever seen. You will be remembered for this one.

#8 5 months ago
  9. Panthro

“I’m not going to be smug when this happens because I try to warn lesser minds about these things.”

Lesser mind’s huh.
    I’m not going to read any more of your post’s, I’m done reading reading your snarky post’s about the “lesser mind’s” and how you are above everyone.

#9 5 months ago
  10. fearmonkey

@theWulf – I highly doubt that Chris roberts has any intention of soiling his good name in the industry just to take everyone’s money……….

Your disbelief is almost comical, what are you going to do if the game does become a reality and even successful? I don’t personally have too much invested in the game at this point, I was gifted a ship by a friend, but I don’t see how you can be so doubtful of a studio that is run by a guy that is a big name with a proven track record in making big budget games,

This isnt an Ion Storm situation, where its all about ego’s. I believe they can pull it off, and I hope they do. Alot of people believe in this, and we need the space sim to be be revived in this day of generic constant FPS games. I think your just a bit jealous that your favorite indie devs arent getting nowhere near this kind of cash.

#10 5 months ago
  11. Hcw87

LESSER MINDS MASTER RACE.

#11 5 months ago
  12. HomeworldFanShip

@TheWulf Yep like i expected you don’t know what the fuck your talking about.

Who the hell is RSI…

#12 5 months ago
  13. Gheritt White

What a dick! (…and I’m not talking about Chris Roberts or RSI).

#13 5 months ago