Microsoft’s E3 2014 conference “the best lineup of content in a long time,” says Spencer

Tuesday, 1st April 2014 10:32 GMT By Dave Cook

Xbox One and 360 gamers could be in for a treat during this year’s Microsoft E3 conference, according to the newly-promoted Phil Spencer.

Yesterday,w e reported that Spencer is now head of Microsoft’s Xbox division. Hit the link for a full statement from company CEO Satya Nadella.

Speaking about the road ahead, Spencer told Polygon that Microsoft’s E3 event will bring, “the best lineup of content in a long time,” and added that it should help close the gap on Sony’s PlayStation 4.

“We’re early on in the console generation,” he went on, “and obviously Sony’s having a great launch. Console gaming is doing incredibly well right now. Six months ago, everybody wondered if console gaming was dead… but this is a long, multi-year generation and my fundamental belief is that great games create the best platforms.”

During GDC 2014, Spencer promised the company’s E3 presentation would focus on games, with “very few” executives on stage, adding that the stage show would last 90-minutes.

Spencer also added that Shenmue 3 is one of gamer’s most-requested Xbox One titles, calling it, “The big Shenmue contingency.” He’s well aware of the requests it seems.

On his new role as head of Xbox, he concluded, “With me you’re going to get a focus on gaming first and a best platform to play games on. It’s not a focus we ever lost but it’s one I’ll be accentuating at Microsoft. It’s really going to be a gaming-led focus with Xbox and my new role allows us to execute on that.”

Via OXM.

1. Joe Anderson

Said every executive ever haha :D

#1 6 months ago
  2. Joe Anderson

Seriously tho, E3 is going to be great. I get the feeling MS and Sony are gonna spoil us with surprises. Who knows, maybe Nintendo will join in too.

#2 6 months ago
  3. Luciferous

@Joe Anderson I hope Nintendo bring out some big guns, preferably one arm mounted cannon belong to one particularly stoic bounty huntress…

E3 this year for the other two is going to be massive, I’m currently firmly entrenched in Sony’s camp… but all I need is some great games that appeal to my tastes and I’ll be multi platform (again)

#3 6 months ago
  4. mistermogul

I think MS learnt a few very valuable lessons last year and doubt they will make those mistakes again.

Personally I don’t regret jumping ship as I’m loving my PS4 but I do wish MS well as competition for Sony is only good for the consumer…

#4 6 months ago
  5. Fin

“Head of games company says next event with games company will be positive”

#5 6 months ago
  6. ILiveForMagic

@Fin, To most Execs I would agree with you, But Spencer you can tell clearly he loves games and gaming in general, And since it is the start of a New-Gen This event will be amazing for every party [Micro / Sony] apart from nintendo, Since their console might aswell be a 360 / PS3 era console.

#6 6 months ago
  7. Joe Musashi

Good grief. The ceaseless barrage of nebulous statements from Microsoft persist.

It’s nice to imply positivity and quality. But when you persist in leaving out any tangible, verifiable detail in any of these statements you basically render them worthless.

Is anyone genuinely falling for this?

JM

#7 6 months ago
  8. Mike W

I really like to see some new IPs, I can’t wait to see more on quantum break.

But I know we’re going to see some gameplay of Halo and the new Gears….and the infamous COD. :(

#8 6 months ago
  9. mistermogul

@Joe Musashi – Joe you really should be used to this seeing as MS come out with pointless BS almost on a daily basis that has zero meaning.

They are the masters at grabbing headlines with no news so fair play to them!

#9 6 months ago
  10. Python360

Aw Shenmue 3!!! I have been waiting sssooo long, i hope their is some glimmer of hope, I’m not holding my breathe tho 😢

#10 6 months ago
  11. Major Mayhem 70

I have an X1 ans a PS4, so bring on the games!!! Competition is great!!!!

I pick that up from Phil as well. I believe he he has a sincere passion for his job, and that translates to pushing even harder to see that the X1 succeeds. With all the extra things that the X1 is capable of, he recognizes that it still comes down to one point. Games.

#11 6 months ago
  12. Joe Anderson

We see this sort of talk every year and it means nothing really.

#12 6 months ago
  13. Gekidami

Well seeing as their shows have been terrible for the past 3 or 4 years, its not like they really have to try hard. The standard is rock bottom.

#13 6 months ago
  14. Mike W

@Joe Anderson

You have a point, the last three E3′s have been lacking. Both Sony and MS should cut the bullshit and show us some serious software.

I can give two shits how many units these consoles sold or which console manufacture has this percentage of market share now…….All I want from both companies and their partners is to show me why I purchased their systems…..period.

As for Nintendo, they have to announced a brand new Metroid and Zelda game that’s going to be release this year, because Mario isn’t cutting it for them anymore. But I’m not holding my breath for them because Nintendo is the only company that continuously have bad presses every year that is either equally or worse than the previous year. :(

#14 6 months ago
  15. Panthro

@Mike W

You bought both and now you expect THEM to show you you why you purchased the consoles?
    Surely that type is stuff is meant to be done before you actually hand money over…

#15 6 months ago
  16. Mike W

@Panthro

But why wouldn’t I expect that for them? :-|

I already knew that both systems were going to have a exclusives on them and all I’m simply saying now is that I want to see what else they have to offer.

#16 6 months ago
  17. tenthousandgothsonacid

“With me you’re going to get a focus on gaming first and a best platform to play games on”

You mean a PS4 ?

#17 6 months ago
  18. f1r3storm

So maybe a similar deal for Shenmue 3 like with Bayonetta 2 and Nintendo? ;)

#18 6 months ago
  19. Panthro

New CoD SEQUEL gameplay, new Halo SEQUEL gameplay and Kinect Star Wars 2.0 reveal.

E3 lineup 2014, all you Xbox owners should be VERY excited.

LMFAO.

#19 6 months ago
  20. zoopdeloop

am i the only one that thinks E3 is overated?All conferences every year are mediocre at best.
    I can already tell this year Microsoft will have a few exclusive surprises so as to gain the upper hand ,while Sony will have 2 already known AAA exclusives to show + a new AAA IP at best, while the filler will be 3rd party and Indie stuff

and almost everyone will be underwhelmed by E3 yet again

#20 6 months ago
  21. salarta

What’s this? No trash talking? No petty, immature jabs? This isn’t the Microsoft I know! :P

Really though, it’s nice to see Microsoft talking in civil ways for once about the competition. I’m used to seeing Microsoft respond to good news for their competitors with veiled insults.

I think Microsoft has learned from the launch of XBox One that no matter what their broader media plans and desire to appeal to casuals might be, no matter how badly they care more about making money than the customers themselves, ultimately they need to cater to gamers to get off the ground. They got bold enough to think they had already fully dominated the console market and could get away with anything so long as they had features that non-gamers or casual gamers would like. Their sales compared the PS4 sales show how wrong they were, and now Microsoft’s trying to get back into the good graces of gamers by putting a heavy focus on them like Sony has done.

I don’t expect that attitude to stick if Microsoft ever became truly dominant, but at least for now it’s a good thing that they’re heading back in the right direction.

@Panthro I used to buy Nintendo consoles early on and expect worthwhile games in a timely manner. I learned from the Wii and 3DS that it’s a mistake to do so, because I’m lucky to get one game per year worth playing out of Nintendo consoles. By contrast, I bought PS4 at launch and already have five games for approximately one game per month, not including some of the PS Plus games I have yet to play.

#21 6 months ago
  22. tony

Hey

#22 6 months ago
  23. schnide

@mistermogul

I do wish MS well as competition for Sony is only good for the consumer…

Is that why you need three consoles if you want to play Super Mario World 3D, Titanfall and inFAMOUS Second Son? ;)

#23 6 months ago
  24. Kreion

@Joe Musashi
    If you bitch about every bit of marketing by every company then I’m surprised you’re still a sane human being.

Companies do what companies do, remaining vague is one of those thing.

#24 6 months ago
  25. Dragon

Microsoft’s E3 2015 conference “the best lineup of content in a long time,” says Spencer

Headline for next year. Thanks me later :P

#25 6 months ago
  26. N2O1990

@Joe Anderson
    @Gekidami
    @tenthousandgothsonacid
    @Panthro
    @Dragon

I’m sorry but are you guys living in different timeline?last year MS’s E3 was all about games.

#26 6 months ago
  27. Dragon

@N2O1990,
    “last year MS’s E3 was all about games.”
    Of course. And it was great.
    But 2015 will be even greater. I am sure Spencer agrees with me.

#27 6 months ago