PS4: PSone & PS2 emulation has mixed results, disc-based backwards compatibility possible – rumour

Thursday, 27th March 2014 10:52 GMT By Dave Cook

PlayStation 4 looks like it could be getting a PSone and PS2 support announcement this year, but an industry insider has claimed that Sony’s tech is currently coming back with mixed results. Disc-based backwards compatibility could also come to the console.

It follows claims made by reputable industry tipster Ahsan “Thuway” Rasheed, who said that PS4 will soon support some PSone and PS2 classic titles at native 1080p. However, he now claims that the high-end rendering only works with some titles, while others are coming back choppy and unimpressive.

He elaborated on the matter in this string of tweets:

We’ve asked Sony for comment.

Via DualShockers.

1. DuckNation

this is good news Sony just needs to take its time and not rush this

#1 4 months ago
  2. CycloneFox

I would love to play my old PS1 and PS2 games on PS4, especially if some of them even looked better then.

I suppose a lot of people, who already own PS1 and PS2 games (physically and digitally on their SEN account) might consider picking up a PS4 to play their old games, with some of them even looking better now, plus some new tripple A games like inFamous. It would give the console such a great value at once.

The best thing would be, if the PS4 had the emulator of the PSP/3/Vita, which can already play digital or disc-based PS One games, plus a white-list of PS2 games and HD-enabled PS1/2 games, which are already tested and playable, which gets updates periodically.

#2 4 months ago
  3. Gekidami

I think theres been a bit of a misunderstanding here; the guy in no way says disc-based emulation is possible, he says he doesnt know anything about it but that something might come about if people ask enough. The thing is i dont even think disc-based emulation is even possible because the PS4′s disc drive wasnt made to run those games. In fact the PS4 cant read CD’s which is what PSX games are on, so thats that.

The disc-based part is just this guys opinion. If it isnt, and he’s really trying to claim its something Sony are working on, then i’d assume the whole thing is bogus.

#3 4 months ago
  4. Arnvidr

I am sure the PS4 will acquire CD playing capabilities soon enough, and I assume it already has DVD capabilities. That means it has the lasers necessary to read PS1/2 discs, and so the hardware does not stop them.

#4 4 months ago
  5. Panthro

@Arnvidr

If the disc drive isn’t made with the laser to read CD’s its like me expecting my DVD writer to one day update to play red Blu-Rays.

#5 4 months ago
  6. fihar

After experimenting with DQVIII on an emulator, I sure would love the opportunity to see this happening for real.

#6 4 months ago
  7. Panthro

Take away 1080p and everybody acts like they don’t care and resolution doesn’t matter…

Supply 1080p and everybody’s erections hit the ceiling…

#7 4 months ago
  8. Michael Ireland

@Panthro I think this is great with or without it.

I still have my PS2 under my TV and boot it up regularly, but if I can get the same experience on existing hardware I’m all over that. I sure as heck wouldn’t complain about something like DQVIII in HD. It’s a nice bonus, but that’s all it is. A bonus.

There’s a big difference between making old games with a THIRD of the resolution work on modern TVs so they’re not a blurry mess, and comparing 780px to 900px or whatever the current numbers are.

Most people’s issue with graphical snobbery is solely down to how small the differences usually are. It’s called being pedantic.

#8 4 months ago
  9. CycloneFox

@Gekidami & Panthro: Of course, technically the PS4s Bluray drive is backwards compatible to CDs (Mark Cerny, PS4-Lead-Architect, March 2013).

The issue of the PS4 no being able to play CDs is no hardware problem, but soly software and might (I think Sony already said that it will) be changed during a future OS update. The reason is, that there is no music player application on the PS4, other than Music unlimited, yet.
    Sony already said, that a music player will come in the future and I assume, that this player application should be able to play audio from CDs.

So, if the emulator will support playing games from disc, like the PS3 emulator does, everything will be well.

#9 4 months ago
  10. CycloneFox

Of course, I would love to be able to play PS1 and PS2 games from disc. But what bugs me even more, is the question if the sharing features will be available in this emulator. It would be great, to be able to play old JRPGs with your friends in a voice party session, while one is broadcasting the gameplay or even swap the controls or set the second controller to another player who is streaming, if that controller-feature ever gets added…

#10 4 months ago
  11. SteOne3

I decided to go with the xbox one and have been tempted to make the switch to Ps4 ever since. If this turns out to be true then I’d ditch the xbox one in a heart beat. I still have all my ps1, ps2 and ps3 games I’ve purchased over the years and love to replay them on the ps4. Please please make this happen Sony!

#11 4 months ago
  12. ManuOtaku

If it is disc based it will be great, digitally not so much, good but not great, i could finally play dark cloud 2 and viewtiful joe on hd.

#12 4 months ago
  13. ManuOtaku

And god hand as well, sorry i could had edited, but i go with anothet comment

#13 4 months ago
  14. fearmonkey

If I could play one of the Baldur’s gate:Dark Alliance games on PS4 id be a happy man :)

#14 4 months ago
  15. Dragon

Oh, the holy grail of BC, disk based compatibility.
    Here is a question, how many people outside the most hardcore ones retain their PS2 collection? And here is another one, how does Sony benefit from offering that?

#15 4 months ago
  16. Panthro

@Dragon

You speak truth.

#16 4 months ago
  17. ManuOtaku

@Dragon happy and gratefull consumers

#17 4 months ago
  18. ManuOtaku

@Dragon and i do still own my ps2,xbox,cube,dreamcast,genesis,supernintendo and 64 collections, i think there is an important number of gamers that does as well imo

#18 4 months ago
  19. CrimsonFang

I would definitely pay good money for a good disc based emulator for PS1 and PS2 games for the PS4.

#19 4 months ago
  20. Kyl Every1

@Gekidami I can confirm that playing disc-based games via emulation is TOTALLY POSSIBLE. I already do this on my PC via PCSX2. That said, I highly doubt Sony lets us do it… why would they when they can just resell the .iso through PSN? Emulation is a little iffy anyways and not all titles are going to work, I imagine they will start with a staggered roll out with games that are “offically supported”, similar to PS1/PSP classic being rolled out on Vita.

#20 4 months ago
  21. Kyl Every1

@Panthro Thats not true actually, PS1 games are on basic CDS and PS2 games are DVDs… Its the software thats the problem. Emulations is finicky and theres no one size fits all solution so some games may work and others may not. Disc based emulation is absolutely possible, i already do it on PC but like i told another commentor, I highly doubt Sony wil do that.

#21 4 months ago
  22. scarfaceguns

@Gekidami have you ever looked into the specs of the ps4 blue-ray drive? it can play dvd’s afterall and a simple firmware flash for the blue-ray drive and it “could” have CD playback support if it has the required hardware.

#22 2 months ago