Xbox ruled UK software sales in 2013, Sony up, but Nintendo falls sharp

Wednesday, 12th March 2014 09:15 GMT By Dave Cook

Xbox One and 360 software sales remained dominant across the UK in 2013, fighting off a strong improvement in Sony game sales for the year. Nintendo, however, has seen a sharp decline in Wii U and 3DS software sold.

MCV reports that figures compiled by GfK Chart-Track show that combined PS4, PS3, PS2, Ps Vita and PSP software sales totalled 11.4 million units, which is an increase of 1.8% over 2012′s figure, accounting for sales of £372 million. This equates to a 15.2% rise.

Xbox One and 360 remains the nations’ best-selling source of software however, with some 14.4 million units sold through 2013, which is actually a drop of 6.5%, equating to £458 million in sales. That’s a monetary drop of 2.1%.

Nintendo struggled last year, with combined Wii U, 3DS, Wii and DS software sales dropping 35.5% to 6 million units sold, down from 9.3 million units sold in 2012. The units sold in 2013 equated to £142 million, a 27.6% drop over 2012 year-on-year.

What do you make of the figures above?

1. nikk900

I think this year Sony and Microsoft will be switched.

#1 5 months ago
  2. Python360

Wow that’s crazy when you consider the amount of hardware that’s on the market on Sony’s part. What has happened to Nintendo? lol The wee boy inside me shed a tear…

#2 5 months ago
  3. Cathodeo

I’ve only bought 2 games for my PS4 and the software catalogue is nowhere near as broad as on my Xbox One so yes that headline sounds about right to me.

I don’t know why but Sony seems to have completely fumbled the ball regarding their high quality 1st party studio games which I love. Believe me I want to buy those games like Uncharted and enjoy them in their full 1080p & 60fps but where are they???

Gran Turismo 6 should have been on PS4 going head-to-head with Forza5 which is a real shame. Okay I understand that Naughty Dog need to take their time with Uncharted to make sure it’s a brilliant PS4 game but why not The Last of Us?

It would be hard to believe that PlayStation would be beating Xbox software sales if they don’t have the games to sell. After all, a game that doesn’t exist is much worse than 720p…… it’s zero p

#3 5 months ago
  4. tenthousandgothsonacid

I’d be more interested in the xbone and ps4 sales separated out. Bundled in with last gen is meaningless

#4 5 months ago
  5. Cathodeo

@tenthousandgothsonacid I agree it would be interesting to see the figures for the new consoles separately and also to see the digital vs disc breakdown. Having said that the money from any game sale go to Sony & MS regardless of which console it’s for so these totals are still useful.

#5 5 months ago
  6. mistermogul

@nikk900 – Agree.

With the PS4 momentum and PS3/360 in decline, I imagine Sony will rule 2014.

#6 5 months ago