Xbox One without “irrelevant” Kinect coming 2015, says Pachter

Monday, 10th March 2014 05:34 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Industry analyst Michael Pachter believes Microsoft will stop bundling Kinect with the Xbox One sometime next year – probably resulting in a price drop.

xbox_one_kinect

Speaking in his weekly webshow BonusRound, Pachter said that Kinect was “Don Mattrick’s favorite child”, but the executive’s departure for Zynga means there’s nobody left at Microsoft to champion the device

“Don isn’t there anymore. You have a new boss over the Xbox division, who has no skin in the Kinect game,” he said.

“Sure they’re gonna unbundle. Not in 2014. They will not change the SKU that dramatically in the first full year. It’s a 2015 event.

“Just the way they introduced the 4GB Xbox after a couple years, they’ll bring one out and it’ll be something that’ll look a little dumbed down. I think they’ll actually pick the core model and put a 2TB hard drive in it, and then the dumbed down one will have a 500GB hard drive, and it’ll have no Kinect, and it’ll be $400.”

The Kinect is largely held responsible for the $100 between the Xbox One and cheaper PlayStation 4; so far, the PS4 seems to be outselling Microsoft’s offering, although both consoles are going gangbusters. Pachter isn’t convinced a price cut can come soon enough to win back the lead.

“The problem is that if by spring ’15 they cut the price to $400, Sony goes $349 for ours/ Sony right now is in a position to stay ahead of them, and this is what happened with the PS2. PS2 kept taking share by cutting price,” the analyst said.

“I think this is a price game. I think unbundling Kinect is the smartest way to get competitive right away.”

As for why this hasn’t happened already, Pachter said Mattrick pushed for Kinect as standard because he “thought it was gonna change the world”.

“He believed it a mechanism to cross sell Skype and to cross sell cable access and doing other things,” Pachter said.

In the interim, though, Microsoft realised that smartphone and tablet integration is so high that it can build all those features into SmartGlass instead.

“I think the overlap of Xbox One households and smartphones and tablets households is probably a hundred percent. I think that Kinect has become almost irrelevant,” he added.

“I think the voice command is really cool, but you can use your tablet.”

Thanks, DualShockers.

1. Telepathic.Geometry

I think he’s talking sense…

#1 7 months ago
  2. TheKeyPit

But how will people be able to switch fast between apps/games, record a video, broadcast, invite a friend to game/party and stuff like that without voice commands?

#2 7 months ago
  3. Henry

If it’s just a price game, then all M$ needs to do is drop the price. It doesn’t have to be related to “Unbundling Kiinect”.

Kinect picks up your voice and motion nicely without you having to wear anything. It’s one thing tablet cannot do.

#3 7 months ago
  4. Cathodeo

The problem I have with Pachter is he says all this stuff that sounds almost like it might come true but he says it as if he somehow has some sort of insider knowledge of it all. In reality he’s just talking off the top of his head in the same way that any of the other internets dudebros have been predicting Kinect unbundling.

Oh and he clearly doesn’t understand the Kinect 2 or has never used one if he thinks you get anywhere near an equivalent experience to just “use your tablet”. I’m sorry but even PlayStation recognises the potential of voice commands and Apple has recently bought the company that originally conceived Kinect which won’t have been a mistake either.

#4 7 months ago
  5. Animal Mother

I wish media would stop giving this guy the oxygen to view his thoughts. He’s wrong as often as he’s right, and he’s usually only right about the most obvious things. I’d get sacked from my job if I only had a 50% success rate.

If it was just a price thing, MS could slash the cost (as they have done in the UK) and offer a triple A game for the same price as a PS4 and top game. By dropping Kinect, it leaves a console that’s less powerful that it’s rival and no unique selling points. It’s not going to happen. Kinect, bundled with the console, offers a unified user base for developers to aim at. There’s no incentive for them to use Kinect of the install base is 50% or less. Personally I love Kinect, I think it works brilliantly, and I want the system to develop uses further.

If I can be bothered, I’ll go through Pachters past comments and see what his actual hit rate is…

#5 7 months ago
  6. DeadFreight

In my opinion, Kinect is what makes the Xbox One special just like the PS4 has the clever motion light. If they unbundled the Kinect from the XB1, I would actually be turned away from buying it… (My opinion though)

#6 7 months ago