DayZ creator Dean Hall to leave project & Bohemia, will start new studio

Monday, 24th February 2014 11:34 GMT By Dave Cook

DayZ creator Dean Hall has confirmed he will leave the survival sandbox project to found a new team.

Eurogamer reports that Hall will leave DayZ development in the hands of its current team, and will leave Bohemia to start his own studio in his native New Zealand. He has three game ideas written down and two more in the works in his search for the ultimate multiplayer experience. “I want to chase that,” he told the site, and added that he feels DayZ is still a flawed concept.

Speaking with the site he explained, “I am a grenade. I have a specific use. I’m really good at risk-taking and making other people take risks, I’ve always been good at that in my life. Like you say, maybe I’ve got the gift of the gab, so I can talk, I can explain something, I can talk people up to the ledge and get them to jump off it.

“That’s what I did with DayZ; I’ve done it twice now [once with the mod, again with the standalone] – two new code teams have separately done it. But eventually, that’s the bad person to have. Eventually, you don’t want the guy telling you to go over the top and get through. So at some point I’ll be a disaster for the project, at least in a leadership role.

Hall added that he hadn’t predicted the DayZ project would take off like it did, and explained, “I never intended to be here. And it’s kind of like cooking in someone else’s kitchen: I don’t want to be constantly telling Bohemia that this is how I do it and this is the way we do it.”

From here; Hall remains at Bohemia’s disposal for as long as he’s needed, stressing that he’s flexible in that regard. He added, “Originally I wasn’t going to do this year, but it would be stupid not to, and it would be unfair to the community. I have to be on the project as long as it’s important to. Whether that role is as the leader, whether that role is in a more creative sense… But at a certain point there will be diminishing returns.”

What do you make of Hall’s departure? Let us know below.

1. polygem

dayz is one of the most intense and immersive games i have played in the last few years and probably the most impressive and unique mp experience i have ever played.

it really is something special. it´s different in every way. you have to scratch most of the stuff you have learned about online gaming when you are trying to get serious with playing this game.

it´s a pretty impressive achievement really and hall deserves a lot of credit for that imo. the funny part about it is that he did get rid of a lot of stuff instead of adding things to the game like the current trend in gaming is: make everything bigger, more movie, more hollywood, more wow and boom. the result is a much better game that is truly immersive.

it´s not just hype. it really is fantastic. already is, even as unfinished as it is.

i am super excited about this news. dayz and a new project from hall. that´s very good news indeed.

#1 7 months ago
  2. ChristopherJack

Haven’t been able to get into DayZ, I just see it taking forever to get nowhere & am really annoyed by some of the simplest mechanics.

#2 7 months ago
  3. polygem

@ChristopherJack
    it´s superclunky, sometimes it even feels unplayable. zombies glitch through walls and closed doors and so on. it needs some time to get into it. for me it clicked around hour 10.

now i rarely feel like playing anything else. i´m 55 hours in and i still want to play this all the time, forcing me to put it down for a few days.

it´s so addicting to get loot and gear up slowly and once you have a decent loadout – try to survive even longer and improve your loot.

it´s also a running sim and an inventory tetris game :)

there isn´t much more to do than that on the surface but it´s also about the things that happen in between that. i have been chased by bandits several times – sometimes for over an hour across huge parts of the map. it can be intense. you hide somewhere, they run past you really close without spotting you, you´re constantly thinking about what to do next, analyzing the situation. do you have a decent weapon, enough bullets, is your vision blurred from sickness or losing blood, if so do you have a t-shirt or anything to craft some rags, if you have one is it pristine or badly damaged, if it´s damaged do you have something to clean it before you use it, otherwise your situation could become even worse – your wound infected. firing would give your position away, does it make sense now, should you head for a city next or a village hoping to find something you could use or would it be better to head to the airstrip, it´s further, there will be enemy players probably but there will also be better gear etc. you constantly have to make decisions like these and sometimes thats not easy. they have a huge impact on the condition and fate of your character.

i also witnessed a very weird murder in the game, received help several times from friendly players who kept me alive by providing me with food and drugs, got cheated by a backstabbing bandit i teamed up with for 40 minutes and so on. the game is intense because you never know what will be happnening next.

it feels like it´s you on that fields, trying to survive and in that regard it does a fantastic job already.

as soon as they add things, like base building, improve the crafting a little bit etc. it will get glorious…for now there really is no other goal than gearing up, staying healthy, survive but even that is fun. playing this coop with a friend is a blast.

#3 7 months ago
  4. cyberrblob

Game is flawed correct

I.plaid from day 1 of mod and beta and standalone which is still be ye and probably won’t leave that state.

They have there money now and then I don’t blame Dean hall as he has made a fortune.

Ideally he should have made the studio and not released with bohemia but obviously funding was necessary which he has gained by going down the current road

dayz is flawed as most the exciting parts to it have not been released and are already available on other mods
    Dayz is fun in groups and the base.element is exciting
    good luck to him

#4 7 months ago
  5. harr0w

Thank god he was bringing the project down. No vision for an end game, updates which were piss poor. No real aspiration to create anything for players to do other than shoot each other. Priorties completely out of sink. Hopefully it will now grow into the game it should be.
    The potential is still massive. Bohemia need to follow through and turn into an actual game instead of the industry’s largest troll death match.

#5 7 months ago
  6. NocturnalB

@harr0w “..the industry’s largest troll death match..”

Yep, with a capital fucking T.

#6 7 months ago