Star Citizen hits $39 million, next stretch goal adds procedural generation team

Saturday, 22nd February 2014 14:31 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Star Citizen has now netted $39 million in funding, and the new $40 million stretch goal would add a procedural generation R&D team for “creating entire planets worth of exploration and development content.”

starcitizenfeb22

The Roberts Space Industries website notes the latest goal unlocked the “penultimate user-chosen star system,” and Chris Roberts went into detail on the next stretch goal.

“Our previous stretch goals have been about expanding Star Citizen immediately; adding new ships, new systems and more,” wrote Roberts. “Each one has added something to the game while allowing us to widen our bandwidth: hire more employees, expand our development facilities, purchase new technology and so on. Now it’s time to look a little further in the future.

“Among the most common feature requests for Star Citizen are atmospheric combat and ground exploration. These are the single biggest things we would like to include in the game, but they’re also something we know we can’t have day one. Our universe is a big place, and creating the hundreds of existing landouts properly is enough of a challenge… building entire continents and atmospheres in the current system would take a lifetime.

“That’s where procedural generation comes in. If we can develop a truly great procedural generation system, one that lets us create entire planets for you to populate, then we can expand the game to add these features (and more) in the future.”

Roberts goes on to say the $40 million goal would allow Cloud Imperium to allocate funding to develop procedural generation technology for future iterations of Star Citizen. To do this, the studio needs a “special strike team of procedural generation-oriented developers” to make the technology a reality.

You can read up on this more yourself through the link.

Thanks, Blue.

1. jmg24bad

No Man’s Land from Hello Games says “40 million to do procedurally generated planets? Pshhhhh”

#1 8 months ago
  2. Panthro

@jmg24bad

They’re not spending 40 million on procedurally generated planets? They have to keep adding some sort of stretch goals if they think more people will contribute, any game developing company would. + they say they are paying for an R&D team so that needs to pay there wages and a ton of expenses on top of that, game development isn’t cheap…

Star Citizens case is a good one, it shows that people outside of the game industry will put up money upfront to see the games they want to be made.

To put this into perspective GTA V cost over 266 million to develop.

#2 8 months ago
  3. jmg24bad

You typed all that for me? Awww. (I know that 39 million of that budget was for other things. It’s just that after all this time, it took them 39 million other dollars just to even sniff planet generation , something plenty of other games would come packed in with )

#3 8 months ago
  4. Panthro

@jmg24bad

I don’t know many other games with planet generation

#4 8 months ago
  5. StardustHD

For those of you who ARE interested in this game, there’s a really good organization/guild that will be one of the most prominent groups when SC launches. They’re called Stargate Command, or SGC for short. If anyone’s interested in joining a good guild I would highly recommend checking out SGC. There’s a link to their website below.

Have fun shooting lasers at each other in space!

#5 8 months ago
  6. TheWulf

What #1/#3 said, sorry Panthro. I just still don’t trust this game. It feels so, so marketing with no substance. And people have been fooled (and almost bloody brainwashed) by these things before. You all know I have examples of this, recent ones, even VG24/7 ones (relating to a certain mod).

People are just way, way too easy to brainwash if they’re not self aware enough to question whether that’s happening or not, and bizarrely, it’s like they want it to happen. All you have to do is hint at there being something they’ll like down the line if you allow said brainwashing. And this is terrifying to me, it honestly is. I’ve seen no substantial evidence that a proper game is being made, none, but they keep bringing in ridiculous amounts of money regardless.

I kind of want to get a ‘sexy commercial team’ together myself. I’ll put together a Kickstarter, make a lot of money, and then offer microtransaction packs of prestige. I’ll also research into what makes these people hot under the collar and offer those things as stretch goals, which would be totes normal.

I’ll release more adverts, documents, and things, and maybe even some interactive toy that we could throw together in a couple of days. I’ll wait for the money to hit 50 million, then I’ll just disappear with my advert-making team.

I’m sorry, but I see no evidence to the contrary that this wouldn’t work.

Does no one question this? Ever? It actually makes me feel a little nauseous, because too many people are buying into this without asking questions, even people that I like. Frankly, if it were me, I’d demand some solid evidence that they’re really working on anything before giving them a cent more.

#6 8 months ago
  7. TheWulf

It almost makes me feel conspiracy-theorist, like ‘something in the water‘ conspiracy theorist. None of those funding this are asking serious questions about this project, none of them. Not one. Seriously?

Even if it were something that I loved dearly, if I saw these sorts of shenanigans going on, I’d be pestering them to show results, and other people to pester them for me, too.

Does no one have their doubts about something that so thoroughly invites doubt?

This isn’t religion. :I

#7 8 months ago
  8. jmg24bad

Maybe not planet generation , but map generation all the same.

#8 8 months ago
  9. majinzane

@TheWulf So I read a lot of comments like yours when I’m reading these news articles and every single time I catch myself thinking, “how can so many people not know how complicated it is to program and build a piece of software, especially something as complicated as what Star Citizen is aiming to be?” The game has only been in development for just over 1 year. in that year, most of what they’ve done is build art assets and program functionality into the engine. There’s not really a whole lot to show during this time. The game is still 1.5 (give or take) years from completion. The first in-engine stuff we saw for Star Citizen was the hangar module. That was in August of 2013, almost 2 years prior to when it’s supposed to launch, and not only did we see it, we got to play with it. Show me one other game that has given us this much this early. I remember they announced SWTOR almost 3 years or so prior to launch and at that time, it had already been in production for 2 years. It was another 3 years before the game even launched. 5 years of development time and we didn’t see any game play footage at all until about 6 months before launch from leaked Alpha testers.

I just don’t get how people who have no clue how game design works can think that’s its all a scam, when they are clearly making progress,

#9 8 months ago
  10. Docs

@majinzane Yeah people are just so used to games being announced much later down the line, for some reason people automatically expect a game to have loads of stuff to show straight away. Building the art assets in a game so focused on having more detail than any other game made is what will be taking the bulk of the initial development.

I think one of the issues is if you aren’t following the game, reading the forums and watching all the videos they put out then it’s easy to be lead to believe that not much is going on. Most gaming news sites are simply posting a new article about each million they make, missing out on most other things they’ve done.

The developers are always active on the forums and often in the chatroom answering questions, we have multiple weekly videos showing off new content etc. We’ve seen the work being done by all of the different studios involved in the game. Yes there is a possibility that the game might not release or may be terrible, but the same can be said for many games. You just have to have that in mind when you pledge.

#10 8 months ago