Rime: Microsoft rejected Tequila Works’ game before it became PS4 exclusive – rumour

Wednesday, 19th February 2014 12:49 GMT By Dave Cook

Rime is the PS4-exclusive title from Tequila Works, the same team behind 2012′s release Deadlight. A leaked document now suggests that the title was pitched to Microsoft initially, but that it was rejected by the company.

To refresh your memory, here’s our report on Rime’s PS4 reveal.

VG Leaks has posted documents that appear to have come from Microsoft’s XBLA submission process. The game was initially called Echoes of Siren and was pitched as an Xbox Live and Windows 8 release. Tequila Works stated that it needed $3 million in partial funding to bring the game to Xbox Live alone, then a further $40,000 for Windows 8.

The game was listed on the document as ‘fully exclusive’ on Xbox formats, and at the time only needed 24 more months before completion. In its pitching form; Tequila Works describes Rime as a, third-person isometric RPG with a “great deal of exploration, crafting, survival and hero defence.” The studio also compared it to Orcs Must Die!

The elevator pitch reads, “Gauntlet meets Minecraft meets Jason and the Argonauts,” and continues, “As the darkest legends go, there is a far-off island where evil spirits inhabit and they are able to terrify the most determined and brave heart. It is now as Ecos; the damned island.

“Not always it was this. At another time a great civilization was developed in it. Their inhabitants bloomed until becoming a lighthouse in the dark. History became legend. Legend became myth. Many looked for the island and its secrets. Now, their bones and empty fortresses remain as a reminder of their imprudence.”

The game features daytime crafting and resource gathering, while nightfall brings with it horde defence and battles. You’ll find a detailed gameplay overview here and here.

Microsoft clearly rejected the pitch and the game is now a PS4 exclusive. Hit up the VG Leaks link above to see more of the document.

What do you make of the above.

1. ij 44

(correction) .. NOT pitched as a windows phone game – probably a misreading of a blank placeholder show in the forms reproduced at http://www.vgleaks.com/rime-former-echoes-of-siren-dismissed-by-microsoft/

Also . isometric? Rime isn’t

#1 5 months ago
  2. Luciferous

@ij 44 It sounds like the game has gone through numerous iterations since coming over to Sony’s camp.

I have a feeling that MS will be kicking themselves when it comes out and (hopefully) becomes an instant classic.

Let us hope they have something to show at GDC or E3.

#2 5 months ago
  3. mistermogul

This has been one of my most anticipated games since its reveal last year. I hope it turns out to be as good as it looks as it looks sublime…

My PS4 is ready. Thanks MS for rejecting it! :)

#3 5 months ago
  4. Major Mayhem 70

If that’s what they showed me to draw interest in obtaining the game, I would have passed as well. Gonna have to show me more than that to get me excited to purchase it on my PS4.

#4 5 months ago
  5. Delsin Row

dave cook@ you made a mistake.this game is coming for ps vita too ;)

#5 5 months ago
  6. Dragon

@Delsin Row,
    What is your source?

#6 5 months ago
  7. Citrus raptor

It looks really good now, but I’d most likely also reject that pitch. Would like to see what art and what was ready at that time, looked like.

#7 5 months ago
  8. BrahManDude

it goes to show that MS are retarted and have the biggest pole shoved up their ass

#8 5 months ago
  9. Delsin Row

@Dragon What Is My Source? Gamescom. After gamescom.everyone knows this game coming for ps4 an vita.i f you notice to the post,this game was going to come for xbl and windows8
    so it”s all make sense.They consider two platform for this game.of course everyones knows that from gamescom

#9 5 months ago
  10. marporte

It was a bad point for MS to reject the pitch. I dunno if this game is going to be great but MS takes risks in something they can profit in. They can afford to test the waters with different stuff.

#10 5 months ago
  11. marporte

@marporte I meant to say MS can afford to take risks

#11 5 months ago
  12. mal617

I see why MS rejected it, looks wack.

#12 5 months ago
  13. Arcnail

Hey Microsoft, can we have 3 million dollars to make a game for you?

Seems a reasonable response.

#13 5 months ago
  14. KAP

Anyone really surprised MS passed on this title.. wheres the guns and grit? exactly.
    MS play to there strengths and honestly… there is nothing wrong with that. But then how else we gonna tell a story other then shoot anytjing that moves.

Sony wants to take risks, good on them.

I for one still find Shadow Of The Collosus one of the best games I have ever played. Yep feel like there is noting wrong with MS taking the predictable route to success.

#14 5 months ago
  15. Dragon

@Delsin Row,
    Weird. Here are 2 pages for you-

Sony themselves are saying its a PS4 only game, although I found some links referring to a Vita version.

#15 5 months ago
  16. Panthro

@mal617

tru dat dude dis shit looks wack ryse much bettr init it has blood n shit dis game 4 kidsz

#16 5 months ago
  17. Panthro

Looks like a really nice game…

Other than the major similarities to Shadow Of The Colossus, its ok to be inspired by something but come on….

I would still buy it if it came to PC though, it looks cool.

#17 5 months ago
  18. marporte

@KAP MS greatest strength for the past 2 generations was its ability to port over PC games and reliance on shooters. MS lost the first strength by the limits they put on the system with multiple OS and multitasking with their all in one model of the system. They will get by on the abundance of shooters but it is not enough this gen if PS4 continues to do multiplatform better. MS needs diversity because that is what the Wii U lack and the 360 for the last 3 years.

#18 5 months ago
  19. TheWulf

I’m very iffy about games that seek out exclusivity contracts. See: Fez.

Fez was obviously incredibly incomplete (with some of the content in there just half done, like the heart blocks), but because it had me speculating about its story, it was fun and all, I forgave it for that on the grounds that Fez 2 was to be a thing, then it wasn’t.

When this happens, I smell ‘for the money’ rather than making something because they’re passionate about it. And that’s pretty much summed up every ‘exclusive’ thus far. And no, I’m not counting Journey (which was lovely) because as far as I know, they’re a first party developer for Sony and have been for some time. First party developers and seeking exclusivity is different. I don’t like either, really, but exclusivity is much worse. For all the obvious reasons.

#19 5 months ago
  20. KAP

@marporte 100% agree with you bro

#20 5 months ago
  21. TheWulf

Frankly, the simplistic aesthetic lifted from the likes of Journey and Ico leaves me feeling cold, too. It’s not like this kind of thing hasn’t been done a billion times before. This game has said absolutely nothing about its own personality.

Meh. Not feeling this one.

#21 5 months ago
  22. mistermogul

Can’t believe the lack of love this game is getting :(

#22 5 months ago
  23. Kreion

@mistermogul

Why? There’s nothing particularly original or interesting in any of the footage they’ve shown. It looks too similar to other indie games which have either been better, or maybe sated peoples appetites for games like this. Especially since there is a high possibility that the game itself could lack any real substance.

There’s nothing particularly thrilling about this title right now…that’s why it’s not being hyped at all.

#23 5 months ago