Remember Me studio Dontnod dismisses bankruptcy reports

Friday, 31st January 2014 14:09 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Remember Me developers Dontnod have dismissed earlier reports that it has filed for bankruptcy. Instead, the firm is under judicial reorganization which will allow it to “rezie” in order to continue working on current projects.

remember me 060113

Speaking with GI International, the firm’s CEO Oskar Guilbert said that any financial issues the firm may have faced are in the past.

“There are some rumors about the bankruptcy of Dontnod,” he said. “There is no bankruptcy, Dontnod is not in bankruptcy.

“We are in something called in France ‘judicial reorganization’ which allows us to re-adapt our production pipeline to the new situation. Because as you know we finished a game called Remember Me for Capcom which was out in June 2013, last year. This game, I think it’s important to mention, is number two in terms of downloads on PlayStation Plus in Europe, so it’s a big success on the digital side at least.

“We started new projects and those new projects need some investment and we decided to resize the company in order to match these new needs. That’s why we needed judicial reorganization.”

How this works, is a judicial administrator is assigned to the case in order to oversee the company’s “sustainability, settling liabilities and managing labor costs,” according to GI.

Guilbert said the appointment allowed it to flexibly reduce costs. He was unable to comment on whether there would be any layoffs at the company.

“We are also in close negotiations with one big partner; I cannot of course announce the name and say that but we are in very close negotiations for our next project with one of the top publishers,” he said.

Earlier reports form multiple French outlets this morning via Gamasutra such as Factor News stated the studio had entered receivership, and financial site Societe stated the firm had legal representatives assigned to the case.

Remember Me was released on PS3 and Xbox 360 in the US on June 4, and across Europe on June 7, 2013 and was published by Capcom.

1. Luciferous

This really sucks – I really enjoyed Remember Me and was hoping for either a follow up or more from these guys.

#1 7 months ago
  2. YoungZer0

Wow, this was fast.

Did it sell so poorly, or what exactly happened? I thought the environments looked fantastic, but the rest of the game wasn’t that interesting.

#2 7 months ago
  3. Dark

@Luciferous they where working on sequel and a new IP
    sad to see them go like this.

#3 7 months ago
  4. Stephany Nunneley

Post updated.

#4 7 months ago
  5. RandomTiger

“This game, I think it’s important to mention, is number two in terms of downloads on PlayStation Plus in Europe, so it’s a big success on the digital side at least.”

Problem is their PS+ deal with Sony were likely heavy linked to projections on disc sales.

#5 7 months ago
  6. Robbins

Did they leave Sony or did Sony leave them, in the early stages of development,

#6 7 months ago
  7. salarta

I hope they don’t go under, they’re one of only a few companies (Valve with Portal, Namco Bandai with Tales of Xillia; not including Last Of Us or Beyond: Two Souls because I haven’t played or looked much into either) that are willing to make games with genuinely good, strong female protagonists. By the looks of their remarks, it seems like it’s not a risk of bankruptcy, but rather that they’re trying to get things organized for future projects.

I’m interested to see what game they put out next. I could easily see a Remember Me follow-up resulting in Nilin taking over the spot of best female video game protagonist.

#7 7 months ago
  8. OmegaSlayer

I really really really hope they stay afloat.
    Remember Me was very very good, not perfect at all, but very good for a studio’s first effort.
    Gameplay had some flows as it was someway clunky, if they would have ironed it out, it would have been close to a masterpiece.
    Imho the game was much better than DmC.

#8 7 months ago
  9. absolutezero

Everyone talks of Nilin in hushed reverent tones, to me there was absolutely nothing there, just an empty almost silent shell of a main character. If she were a male no one would ever, ever talk about her and the game would have quickly vanished. Like Timeshift, remember that? (pun intended)

#9 7 months ago
  10. salarta

@absolutezero Which in turn shows how bad the situation is concerning female protagonist representation. The character is currently among the best female protagonists of the past few years, and I’ve said before that if Remember Me was made in the golden age of female video game protagonists when Lara Croft, Jill Valentine, Aya Brea, Regina (Dino Crisis) and others were created, she’d have been about average. Probably passed by, like you suggested.

The heightened interest in and praise of Nilin indicates both a demand for strong female protagonists, and a severe lack of them. People want a female starring character to look up to and play as, and right now everyone’s basically settling for something less because there’s nothing better. Remember Me is a good and enjoyable game, I’m glad I bought it in spite of it being published by Capcom, but would Nilin have gotten no notice if she was a he? Very, very likely. And that’s the point. She presents a little piece of what the industry is missing, and she didn’t have to be half-naked or scared out of her mind to bring it.

#10 7 months ago
  11. Obernox

@8 “Imho the game was much better than DmC”

Anything is better than DmC! TROLOLOLOLOLOL :D

#11 7 months ago
  12. salarta

@Obernox Maybe DmC would’ve been good as its own IP, but like way, way too many games last generation, it was an idea for a brand new IP that had an existing IP’s names and concepts slapped on it to sell more copies. Hopefully this new generation will change that for any company that isn’t Squeenix, which I’ve basically lost all faith in with the sole exception of FFXV.

#12 7 months ago
  13. YoungZer0

@9: I hope you’re happy, you woke the crybaby.

#13 7 months ago
  14. TheWulf

@salarta

Your opinions have my backing, 100 per cent. I’m fed up of it, to be honest.

I’ll sidestep away from that though to say that that wasn’t the only good thing about Remember Me. The memory hacking parts were genuinely disturbing (in a good way, not at all schlocky), and they were well executed and… really clever, honestly.

In regards to women as independent protagonists who aren’t in need of a daddy figure (oh how I hate you, Team Ninja, with the firey passion of a thousand burning suns), it’s depressingly rare and engenders a lack of empathy and encourages misogyny amongst gamers. I’ve spoken with people from many walks of life, from many cultures, with many hobbies. And some of the most regressive when it comes to women are gamers.

But not just women. Race, too.

And… you know, non-Aryan humans. This really gets under my skin.

Most of the time, humans in games are portrayed as Aryan clones, it’s as though every AAA developer shares the same design documents for what their male leads must be like. It was bold of Valve to even put glasses on Gordon Freeman because that suggests imperfection, and we can’t have that.

The #1 thing that bugs me about the Thief reboot?

He’s young, he’s able, he can do wrong! He’s Aryan Garrett!

I remember my Garrett being older and less of a (Western standards) pretty boy. In fact, in the original art, he was ugly. This, in turn, leads to another person whose name begins with G. Geralt. Here’s the issue: Both the original design documents and the in-game models depicted him as older and homely, beyond rough around the edges, really. This upset many gamers, who were expecting Aryan Geralt.

Make him younger!” they cried.

Make him more handsome.” they cried.

So CD Projekt RED did. And still people complained. And they made him moreso. And still people complained. And the Geralt we ended up with was but a pale imitation of the original, because the imagination of the average RPG player can’t even conceive playing anything other than a pretty boy, apparently. And a very Aryan pretty boy at that. It’s a terrifying cultural trend. I don’t like it.

I feel we’re going to bad places with this.

This happens in other mediums, too, sometimes but it leads to uproars and riots. I remember when the film version of Avatar: The Last Airbender was going to use Caucasian actors with skin make-up to portray ethnicities and how that worked out for them. That film was a flop, and I’m sure that choice had a lot to do with it.

But in games? Totally the opposite.

So we rarely get independent heroes, and heroes with imperfect health are even more rare than that. I’m still wondering when we’ll see the next black hero in a game. When was the last one? I can’t even remember.

It just seems that the people who play games share an almost Universally Aryan mindset.

A black guy? In my AAA shooter?! GTFO!!!

So it’s not just women, really.

It’s anything that isn’t an Aryan male.

#14 7 months ago
  15. TheWulf

Meant to write ‘independent heroic women’ there. I miss the edit function.

Also… I’m actually wondering if we’ll ever see a video game lead who’s gay, trans, or genderqueer. The gender of the character doesn’t matter to me — lady or gent, I care not. I just want to see if it could even happen. I doubt it could.

And that’s exactly what I mean and what I’m so frustrated by. This standard of straight, cis-white male perfection that’s everywhere in video games.

Just a bit sick of that, honestly.

#15 7 months ago
  16. KineticCalvaria

TheWulf forgot to add,

Tl:dr. You didn’t miss anything.

#16 7 months ago