PlayStation Vita Slim to cost £189 with game, pre-orders tomorrow – source

Wednesday, 29th January 2014 20:43 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

A slimline version of PlayStation Vita will be made available for pre-order starting tomorrow, according to a ShopTo mailer sent out to customers. In light of this, a source has confirmed the hardware’s price to VG247.

vita

AGB posted the mailer on Twitter. We’ve contacted a ShopTo representative to confirm if screengrab of the mailer is legitimate.

Still, a reliable source close to VG247 has told us that the system will only be available in black at release and will run customers £189 with a game.

Sony has been teasing something “slim” of late so while the mailer looks legitimate we didn’t see the ad ourselves.

The event Sony is hosting takes place January 30 in London, which the same date ShopTo has listed as being available for pre-order on the advert.

Last year Sony released the PS Vita 2000 in Japan, which is 20% thinner and 15% lighter than the existing model and comes with other tech not available on the current model.

1. diego-rbb-93

No OLED, no party. You can tell Im wrong, man, but for what I´ve seen, Oled makes a real difference. Its a shame because my PSP Slim 2000 was one of the best consoles I´ve ever had, but it a real jump from the Big original PSP 1000. This isnt the case.

#1 8 months ago
  2. diego-rbb-93

This isnt the case. At least, I hope a cut to the original one.

#2 8 months ago
  3. diego-rbb-93

Ehh… VG247 has only changed on template or anything else? Cause Im having some troubles here. :/

#3 8 months ago
  4. thegrimmling

@diego-rbb-93 Wait… they got rid of the Party chat in the new Vita?

Why?

#4 8 months ago
  5. Patrick Garratt

There’s a caching problem which adds a giant delay between you posting something and it actually appearing. The tech chaps are going to get it fixed very soon.

#5 8 months ago
  6. Obernox

@4 i think you misunderstood.

#6 8 months ago
  7. Ireland Michael

@thegrimmling I think he’s just saying that without OLED he’s not interested.

This will be a serviceable unit for those who want it, at a solid price point. I enjoy the quality of the OLED screen too much to ever consider downgrading to a unit without it – the visual difference is night and day in my opinion honestly,

#7 8 months ago
  8. CycloneFox

I’m extremely happy with my day one Vita 1000.^^ Haven’t ever regretted buying it. And even though, I initially didn’t believe, I would play as much with it, it’s my most played console, I’ve ever had.

In any case, for the topic: To be cheaper, the Vita 2000 has a good LCD, isntead of the still better OLED, which is a little of a letdown, of course. BUT it has 1 gig internal memory, you safe on your memory card (of course, there is a card slot too, so you can have both together), it is lighter and slimmer, which is an advantage, too, of course and the Vita 2000 uses a standard USB. So no need to worry, if the included cable ever goes missing or broken. I think, overall those are alot of advantages.

I would be even more excited to get a Vita TV, btw. I would want to play Persona 4 Golden on it, when I’m at home for example.

#8 8 months ago
  9. Triggerhappy

Definitely. I spoke to a manager I know in GAME tonight and he confirmed it. They had the Sony rep in a couple of days ago. He told me £140 without a game! Personally I thought it would be much cheaper than that…

#9 8 months ago
  10. diego-rbb-93

Thanks for answering guys. :)

#10 8 months ago
  11. CyberMarco

@CycloneFox The only problem with the internal 1gb memory in the Vita 2000 is that you can’t use it along with a memory card, so it just for save files and a couple of patches/updates.

#11 8 months ago
  12. POOhead

still not buying this shit, whats the point in buying it when theres no decent games on it except killzone and no tearaway isnt good, in fact its so tedious and easy that it just sucks, like the devs werent even trying

#12 8 months ago
  13. eaglerapida13

lcd? no thanks

#13 8 months ago
  14. eaglerapida13

lcd?no thanks

#14 8 months ago
  15. dazedonthemoon

Hopefully with the new slim coming out they will drop the price on the original vita some more. Gotta have the OLED, colors are much more vivid than LCD.

#15 8 months ago
  16. man with food

Shopto has the wifi + 3g vita in staock for like £130 at the moment but that might be a temp deal. I think it is usually about £150 for a vita so why anyone would pay £40 more for a slightly different model that doesn’t have arguably the original vitas best feature is beyond me.

#16 8 months ago
  17. Tormenter

I don’t see the point of a new model without the OLED screen especially as there was just a game announced that was specifically optimised for it.. just seems so dumb.

#17 8 months ago
  18. Tormenter

@diego-rbb-93

There doesn’t seem a point to this new model without an OLED screen especially as there’s just been a game announced specifically for it… kinda screws the dev.

#18 8 months ago
  19. thegrimmling

@POOhead What do you consider a “good game”?

I got my vita a month ago and already have 25 games between cross-buys and vita purchases.

#19 8 months ago
  20. diego-rbb-93

@Tormenter Which game? I didnt remeber any game the dev said it was going to be developed with the OLED screen in mind ¿?

#20 8 months ago
  21. CycloneFox

@CyberMarco: I suppose that is a given. Tell me some example (except for some software emulation on PC), where you can combine two data storages for one application.
    But that aside, It is a nice feature to have. not something you can criticise.

The ONLY thing, I would criticise about this slim model is the screen, which is for technical reasons weaker, than an OLED.

#21 8 months ago
  22. CyberMarco

@CycloneFox Take smartphones for example. You still can use the internal memory and a memory card at the same time. Is it that hard to implement it on the Vita 2000? Also 1gb is just lame.

#22 8 months ago
  23. Tormenter

@diego-rbb-93

Sorry mate, I just ran a search with the same string I used the last time to find it and now it’s not there. I do know what I read.. so tbh I’m stumped.

I only hope someone else can back this up.. It was some anime looking game anyway.. it never really interested me so I neglected to note the name. :/

#23 8 months ago