Skyrim has sold over 20 million units, Bethesda announces

Monday, 27th January 2014 21:31 GMT By Sherif Saed

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim has sold over 20 million units, publisher Bethesda has confirmed.

20130903_skyrim

The news comes from a press release issued by the publisher and reported on by Gamespot. The publisher did not say, however, if the numbers are of actual sales to consumers or units shipped to retailers.

The milestone is the highest any Elder Scrolls game has reached, and will come as no surprise to those who’ve followed the RPG since its release in 2011.

The game was recently featured on Amazon UK’s all-time best-selling games list, and it’s still getting tons of new mods on PC, including one that is aiming to recreate Morrowind.

1. Edo

You can say it’s glitchy and buggy,that combat is still clunky or that Bethesda watered down those RPG elements…but one fucking thing they proved with this game is that you can STILL MAKE A FUCKING SINGLE-PLAYER ONLY game and sell a shitload of copies!

#1 5 months ago
  2. Hcw87

Completely deserved. And for those saying Morrowind were better: Yes it was. When it came out. Today it’s nowhere near as good as Skyrim.

With mods you can practically turn it into Morrowind anyway.

#2 5 months ago
  3. YoungZer0

So what about Prey 2?

#3 5 months ago
  4. TD_Monstrous69

GTA V looking down from a perch; “Oh that’s nice, we got there within a couple of months”. Though in all seriousness, good for you Bethesda. Now bring me Fallout 4 already!!!

#4 5 months ago
  5. johnapocalypse

Daaaaaaaaaaam! I wonder if this will make Elder Scrolls Online a system seller

#5 5 months ago
  6. johnapocalypse

I wonder if this will make Elder Scrolls Online a system seller

#6 5 months ago
  7. RussellGorall

And they didn’t have to put GTA or COD in the title, which makes it even more impressive.

#7 5 months ago
  8. The_Red

Great news. While no the best TES, it is still a superb game and miles better than the abomination that was Oblivion.

Are you kidding? Outside bad combat and dated graphics, Morrowind is still worlds better than Skyrim (Which is a great game in its own right). The RPG mechanics, dungeons, secrets, mythology and above all else, atmosphere of Morrow made it one of the most enjoyable and immersive RPGs of all time, not just it’s own generation.

#8 5 months ago
  9. Pytox

@2 there is morrowind rebirth and it’s awesome :)

#9 5 months ago
  10. TheWulf

Of course. It’s bloody, gory, violent, carnal, laden with machismo and male hormones at every turn, and filled to the brim with instant gratification. It makes for a great appeal to our baser nature, even to stupidity. It’s kind of like the Call of Duty of RPGs. Before anyone jumps on me: I’m not saying that it’s a bad game, but rather it’s a game which isn’t meant to be played with one’s brain turned on. It’s a couch potato game, essentially. You turn your brain off and kill shit. If that’s what you want? Fine.

And why wouldn’t that sell? There’s a thousand people who’d like that to every one that doesn’t. Attitudes towards games like Gone Home proved beyond the shadow of a doubt that this is what the majority want from video games. They don’t want emotionally mature or intellectually advanced, they don’t want a video game to philosophise or to poke their code of ethics. They just want to kill shit. I can comprehend that, I just wish it wasn’t so completely ubiquitous. The ubiquity of these sorts of games over other kinds is often depressing.

Games about killing shit have always sold well. There’s nothing easier in the world than ending the life of a digital creature or person, and there’s an audience to whom that’s endlessly satisfying. And usually, the more machismo involved, the higher the number of sales. It’s not what I’d want, but people want it.

I’m glad that I’m not alone in my tastes, though, as there are some people out there who have different tastes to the endless chain of murder simulators.

I was always more of a tourist, diplomat, and problem-solver than murderer, anyway.

Your mind is obsessed with mechanics, and numbers, and achievements, and kills though. You wouldn’t understand what a more romantic mind would see in Morrowind.

It wasn’t the numbers that made Morrowind such a haunting experience, it was the ethereal otherworldliness of it. One of my favourite things about video games is being a tourist who visits alien worlds. A lot of my favourite games revolve around that. Right up to and including the recently released Broken Age.

Morrowind had societies, cultures, and intrigue which simply don’t exist anywhere else in Tamriel, and are sadly absent from Dragonborn. (It feels like they toned down that expansion so that a wider audience would understand it.)

And the feel of the place… I think that’s what would be so hard to convey to another. Just because something doesn’t have human or earthly beauty, it doesn’t mean it can’t be beautiful. On the contrary, to the right mind, this can be enthralling and intoxicating. Just experiencing things from different perspectives is a joy, it broadens horizons and inspires.

The second run I did through Uru, I kept a journal. I wrote within its pages as I would if I were actually there. It was just a fun, creative exercise. I’d doodle things on the pages and toss in screenshots as if they were photographs.

I like being a tourist. Though I tour through imagination. I like seeing what other people can create when they’re not forced to boring to appeal to those who’re not so inclined.

And in Morrowind, I was a tourist, a diplomat, and a fixer of problems. I’d wander around, just looking at things, with my Prntscrn brand camera in hand. I’d talk to people and learn of their ills, and I’d opt to help with problems where I didn’t have to kill everyone. And, unlike in Skyrim and Dragonborn, there were plenty of those.

It’s amazing to be a transient entity in a strange world.

You wouldn’t understand. You couldn’t. Romance and wonder are beyond you.

You’re Conan. I’m Twoflower.

#10 5 months ago
  11. Ireland Michael

@TheWulf You heard it first here folks.

Murderer simulators. EVERYWHERE!

#11 5 months ago
  12. CyberMarco

@The Wulf

Are you high or something?

#12 5 months ago
  13. Ireland Michael

@CyberMarco I just reread his post.

I think he might have finally lost it.

#13 5 months ago
  14. Sadismek

@Michael He’s lost it a long time ago. It’d probably got worse now.

#14 5 months ago
  15. CyberMarco

@Ireland Michael Maybe! :P hehehe

The reply button is just a shortcut to copy/paste the user’s name you are replying to.

The site is really non-intuitive to use, before you had the most recently commented articles stacked on the right column and the “Latest comments” on the bottom of the page is simply broken.

#15 5 months ago
  16. Sadismek

@CyberMarco Yeah, I loved how latest comments showed a bit of the comment as well, not only the commenter. Sigh, It’s going to take some time to get used to.

#16 5 months ago
  17. Dragon

Yay for the reply button.
    Also, someone lost it, again.

#17 5 months ago
  18. Ireland Michael

@Sadismek Well there’s a certain difference between being an egomaniac and just being straight up crazy.

I’m all for being romanticising and hippyish and wordy and all that. It wouldn’t be quite so bad if he didn’t spend half of every post pointing out how everyone is inferior and underdeveloped in comparison to his divine wordy enlightenment.

#18 5 months ago
  19. EdgizAwesome

@TheWulf HAHAHAHAHAHAHA…..ha. I won’t even dignify your comment with a proper response. xD

#19 5 months ago
  20. ManuOtaku

While i do agree with the superior tone of the wolf comment, and that goes against other peoples likiings, o believe under all that he has a point.

I think this industry needs to find more balance in the offerings, o dont mean scrach something instead of another brcause that will be a mistake, but we need a balance in this regard, an equal amount of games that are base in killing things with those than doenst

#20 5 months ago
  21. Cobra951

@1: Amen to that. But you’d think with that much money, they could have hired some staff who could actually write decent program code.

#21 5 months ago
  22. Cobra951

@CyberMarco (#15)

Yes, I agree. Let’s hope it’s just growing pains. Right now, my comments aren’t showing, even if I refresh the page. I need to click on the banner at the top, scroll down to the story where I posted, and open it again. (Then the comment shows.) Give them a while.

#22 5 months ago
  23. Hcw87

”You’re Conan. I’m Twoflower.”

No, you’re just the guy everyone here makes fun off. Sucks to be you.

#23 5 months ago
  24. Edo

@Cobra951
    I agree,as I said the game was far from perfect and hopefully they wisely invested that money to acquire some great assets…we will find out anyway when we play (hopefully )Fallout 4 :) .

#24 5 months ago
  25. Edo

@CyberMarco
    “On a side note, I feel like with the new update they fixed 1 and broke 2 things.”
    So….just what Bethesda was doing with Skyrim :P .

#25 5 months ago