League of Legends: $624 million revenue generated in 2013

Monday, 20th January 2014 09:06 GMT By Dave Cook

League of Legends developer Riot Games has revealed that its MOBA generated $624 million in revenue through 2013. However, it wasn’t 2013′s biggest F2P money-maker. Can you guess what was?

It’s no small feat, seeing as the game is free-to-play. According to a report from SuperData, League of Legends came second in the list of last year’s big F2P money-makers, falling behind South Korean shooter CrossFire, which generated $957 million in 2013.

In third place came Nexon’s Dungeon Fighter Online at $426 million, World of Tanks at $372 million, then Maplestory at $326 million.

World of Warcraft came in at seventh with $213 million, just behind Lineage I in sixth at $257 million.

Star Wars: The Old Republic totalled $139 million in revenue for the year in eighth, with Valve finishing off the list with Team Fortress 2 at $139 million in ninth, then Counter-Strike in at tenth with $121 million.

Do you see any surprises on the list? Let us know below.

Via Gamespot.

1. Fin

How does CS make its money?

#1 8 months ago
  2. zme-ul

from the trading cards I presume

#2 8 months ago
  3. RabbitHoe

Guns have hats now.

#3 8 months ago
  4. GrimRita

Thats some serious money for CS considering how old is it. If this is a free to play listening, why is WoW there? Last time I checked it was paid, so was SWTOR – just just offer restricted freemium game play.

I really thought that LoL would have made more money given how many folk play it (some 32 million?) but I guess not a bad return.

PS Dave – fix the link :)

#4 8 months ago
  5. Butcher8

It should be noted that the revenue for wow is just including it’s microtransactions, it’s subs generate approx 1.3 billion a year if my calculations are correct.

It certainly explains all of the wow clones, if only some of them were half decent :( It also explains all of the lol clones too.

I wonder how the list looks once HOTS and hearthstone have been released, I’m surprised Dota 2 isn’t higher up the list tbh, maybe it needs more time.

Lastly I can’t believe CrossFire tops the ftp list, it looks effin horrible.

#5 8 months ago
  6. schnide

@4 Seconded, link is broken Dave.

#6 8 months ago
  7. Dave Cook

@6 thanks for the heads up, I’ll try and get a new link.

#7 8 months ago