GameStop hopes to sell PlayStation Now subscriptions

Thursday, 9th January 2014 08:24 GMT By Matt Martin

US retail giant GameStop wants to add the newly-announced PlayStation Now service to its $600 million digital business.

The retailer already benefits from a lucrative business of selling in-game credit, subscriptions and DLC codes in store for consoles, games and social networks.

“GameStop has built a $600MM digital business, with most of the digital games sold through our stores. Similar to how we worked closely with our partner Sony to successfully sell the PlayStation Plus service, we are looking forward to working with them on including the new PlayStation Now service as part of our portfolio of gaming products we offer our customers,” a rep for the company told GameSpot.

Some critics have suggested PlayStation Now, which offers a game streaming service to PlayStation 4 and Vita for a monthly fee, may cut into physical retail’s second hand games business. Following Sony’s reveal of PS Now at CES this week, GameStop stock dipped 9 per cent.

1. monkeygourmet

Isn’t it just part of PS Plus?

What happened to ‘Sony will never charge for online’?

Now it seems like there will be more than one ‘tier’.

I can download God Hand for cash and keep it digitally on PS3… But I can’t on PS4… But I can stream it for another amount? What about classics on Vita TV? Streamed or digital downloads?

#1 11 months ago
  2. Ireland Michael

“Isn’t it just part of PS Plus?”

By the sounds of it, no.

You might get a discount if you have PS+, but thats about it.

This is just one more reason I think this service will fail. Even Sony themselves have admitted it’s only going to be a complimentary thing, not some sort of game-changing evolution of the medium as we know it like some people are expecting it to be.

This will be a convenience luxury for people who want it.

#2 11 months ago
  3. monkeygourmet

@IM

It seems clumsy to me. In an attempt to unify the brand, Sony seem to have come up with a lot of baffling options.

Choice is good, but, as there other divisions show, a lot of their products / services end up fighting with each other… Still along way away from Apples relatively streamlined service.

I also have bad memories of playing Onlive in a closed experiment at eurogamer (it was pretty cool), then playing it at home (it was pretty shitty).

Then you have all the potential HD HD re-releases coming out like Tomb Raider, Last of Us?, GTA 5?, Skyrim?…

#3 11 months ago
  4. Ireland Michael

Last year, I did a tally of all the “services” I was using, and realised that it would end costing me nearly €500 a year. €500 for absolutely no tangible long term benefit. I cancelled almost all of them on the spot.

You’re paying for convenience, little more.

#4 11 months ago
  5. gomersoul

If you don’t like it, don’t subscribe. Convenience is big business. I paid ten pounds more for fifa this year cos I can’t be arsed with discs any more. I have no idea if this service will be any good but my guess is it will start off a bit shit and turn into something brilliant. Much like my ps4

#5 11 months ago
  6. Christopher Jack

@5, You should be paying less for disc-less games. I assume that you did not purchase it for PC where there are loads of ways of obtaining it significantly cheaper almost immediately.

#6 11 months ago
  7. Ireland Michael

@5 Obviously if I don’t like I won’t subscribe to it. That goes without satinf.

That doesn’t mean we can’t be critical of the idea though. Or should we all just shut up if we don’t like something or have a different opinion on it? I find the trend towards criticising critical thinking a somewhat alarming one.

#7 11 months ago
  8. Ryzilient

Honestly not surprised that GameStop are looking to provide the subscriptions when they release.

Having been a temp for the holidays, I know that we sell PS+ and Gold Memberships constantly, because people don’t like providing credit cards details to online services. Seems all the same to me, but either way, I could see them being bought at retail.

I mean, GameStop is going in a very digital direction. We sold the Arkham Origins Season Pass and the Last of Us Season Pass as a receipt code, and it’ll be the same in the future.

#8 11 months ago