Sony recommends a 5MBPS+ connection to use PlayStation Now, information sign-ups live

Wednesday, 8th January 2014 19:49 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Sony’s PlayStation Now will require a minimum 5Mb per second connection, according to a response posted on the PS Blog.

Answering a question posed by a PS Blog user, the community management team’s Matthew Harper said: “In our internal tests, users with this bandwidth or greater have been enjoying a low latency, high-quality gaming experience.”

“PS Now tests your connection of each game and optimizes for quality if you are above the minimum requirements,” Harper continued. “We strive to make the gameplay experience feel as if the game is being played locally on their device – fast and responsive (including for FPS and games with twitch mechanics).

“The Closed Beta will definitely provide a great opportunity to test the experience with gamers with varying connection speeds and our developers will, of course, be working diligently to optimize the service based upon the feedback we receive from the community.”

PS Now will not only allow users to purchase titles through the service, but rent them as well. Should a user decide to purchase the full version later, they can do so easily as all files are stores to the cloud. This means all saved game progress will be available as well.

Those interested in more information on PS Now can sign up through here.

Meanwhile, the PS Blog has also posted a hands-on with the service and how it handled playing The Last of Us.

1. Tormenter

Pretty much the norm for a service like this.

It the same requirements for the Nvidia Shield when one wants to stream PC games out and about.

#1 11 months ago
  2. Obernox

My 0.30 something connection is depressing.

#2 11 months ago
  3. Raynor

mine 2MB . well I wouldn’t use that any way !
    @1 but I tought Nvidia shield use some kind of direct wifi or somthing…

#3 11 months ago
  4. Tormenter

It’s not direct wifi (which is a dedicated wifi connection not using a network.. usually used for things like wireless display streaming (which also works a treat with the shield and it’s built in optimised Miracast transmitter) but it does use your internal wifi network it was designed that way.. but as per these things, the community has come up with a way to vpn the shield through to your pc when out and about.. works great I love my streaming Steam games when I’m out of the house….and because of this vpn thing, you can also stream your desktop with a different android app.. so effectively I’ve always got my full sized computer with me at all time, also because you can attach non steam games to the Steam client and run them through that, I can play any game I have on my PC.

VITA AND STEAM BOX EAT YOUR HEART OUT :D

#4 11 months ago
  5. FrankJaeger

Dear Stephany, you read that info in the first place at the PSBlog or at the comment I’ve posted earlier!? (laugh).
    Comment # 21
    Just kidding.
    Congrats for the site. I’ve been an IGN followers for some years, but after finding VG247 last year (don’t remember how) I rarely went back.
    Even recommended VG247 for some friends of mine.
    Best regards from Brazil and a great New Year for all of you.
    I’m sure we gamers will. Maybe even the best year in game history in my modest opinion.

#5 11 months ago
  6. silkvg247

It won’t let me put my postcode in to the sign up page?

#6 11 months ago
  7. Raynor

@4 It’s really weird that I didn’t know that ! does This VPN thing work with my Internet speed “2MB” ?

#7 11 months ago
  8. Tormenter

Have a look on the shield forums. Just look at the vpn threads.. TBH, you’d be better asking someone else if 2MB will cut it, I’m not really so sure.. I think it may be a bit too slow. I think you could push at not ‘too’ bad an experience with about 4.. but 2? :/

#8 11 months ago
  9. dontbescaredhomie92

That’s most of America fucked then.

#9 11 months ago
  10. Animeboy413

@9, Why are you getting mad at America? it’s for American residents

#10 11 months ago
  11. dontbescaredhomie92

@10 merely stating facts, not a chance they are running smoothly on 5mbps they really should of put emphasis on the +.

#11 11 months ago
  12. lexph3re

Good thing i’m 6 times over the recommended! However, My Vita only get’s 10 down 5 up(roughly) I think I need to get a better wireless router buuuuuttttt to cheap to lazy.

#12 11 months ago
  13. Phoenixblight

Good thing Google fiber and AT&T are rolling out Gigabit speeds in AUstin this year.

#13 11 months ago
  14. xXNapsterManXx

There is a difference between Mb and MB, it takes 8 Mb to make one MB.

#14 11 months ago
  15. Phoenixblight

Who was that aimed at?

Edit:

I see the typos in the article. :P

#15 11 months ago
  16. Tormenter

Misread a comment. Deleted.

#16 11 months ago
  17. Cobra951

Abbreviations need to follow at least one unabbreviated reference. So let’s spell it out, shall we? Mbps means megabits per second in any conversation about ISP-provided bandwidth. Here (in America) I get 20 mbps down out of Time-Warner cable internet. That translates to 2.5 megaBYTES per second.

So which is the requirement? Is it 5 mbps, or 5 megaBYTES per second (40 mbps)? I would bet on the former, in which case anyone with decent broadband is covered.

#17 11 months ago
  18. Phoenixblight

Its 5MBps just like any other streaming service needs.

#18 11 months ago
  19. Cobra951

@18: Yeah, I’m almost entirely sure of that. But there seems to be a lot of confusion about bits vs bytes, and not just here, but everywhere. It’s a shame that both words start with the same letter.

#19 11 months ago
  20. Tormenter

My post @8 is wrong also.. I knew what I meant.. but my fingers didn’t.

#20 11 months ago