CyberPower’s Steam Machines cost $499 & $699, full spec sheets here

Monday, 6th January 2014 16:41 GMT By Dave Cook

CyberPower has revealed the specs of its Steam Machines, revealing the nature of their AMD chip-sets and other features.

Videogamer posted the specs of both rigs today, and they go as follows:

CYBERPOWERPC Steam Machine A – $499

• Processor: Intel Core i3-4330 3.50 GHz
  • Storage: 500GB SATA-III 7200 RPM HDD
  • RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Dual Channel Memory
  • Chipset: mITX motherboard w/ 802.11 AC WiFi + Bluetooth
  • Steam Controller
  • Steam OS

What do you make of the prices?

CyberPower join 11 other Steam Machine manufacturers on show at CES 2014 this week. VG247 is attending a special Valve event tonight to try the rigs for ourselves. Stay tuned for our analysis.

1. grizzlycake

Quite expensive. 500gb hard-drive is small as shit too

#1 7 months ago
  2. Dragon

So, a pre-configured PC with Steam controller, right?

Pardon me, but can anyone tell me how is “Steam Machines” different than “pre-configured PCs” which have been around for decades?

#2 7 months ago
  3. Luciferous

@2 From what I can tell from tear downs on the beta units sent out the only real difference is the small cases with efficiently laid out insides, whether they can be efficiently cooled is another thing.

$499 is roughly £380, which isn’t too bad price wise, but I doubt Britain will get these at those prices.

#3 7 months ago
  4. Dragon

@3,
    And didnt those existed as “mini-ATX” configs earlier too?

I am really not seeing what is the USP of buying this rather than PCs that have been available for deacdes. Especially if Steam controllers can be bought seperately.

#4 7 months ago
  5. Panthro

Pretty good prices in my opinion…

I would just rip out the Steam OS and put Windows 7 in there.

That’s only if I was clueless about PC’s though, I prefer custom builds.

#5 7 months ago
  6. sb319

You’d be better off just building a half decent PC. For the higher spec Steam Machine there at $699, I’d expect an i5 rather than i3, and a bigger hdd.

#6 7 months ago
  7. Hcw87

Fuck this crap, i’m buying a proper PC instead.

i3 and 500GB, really?

#7 7 months ago
  8. Dragon

^ for $699 only.

Pre-configured PC Steam machine ftw!
    _________________________________

Btw, where is The Wulf ?

#8 7 months ago
  9. Panthro

You guys have no idea what you are talking about, that i3 is more than capable of playing games well especially when coupled with that 760…

Don’t let the “urrghh its less numbers than i5 and i7″ put you off… its still a very capable CPU.

#9 7 months ago
  10. Hcw87

Sure, but for the same price i’m sure you could buy a pc yourself with better parts.

#10 7 months ago
  11. fearmonkey

I have absolutely no need for this but I want one lol.
    I think $499 is a great deal if I can connect it to a TV anywhere in a house and stream my games over Wifi.

I do want that controller, just to play around with it.

#11 7 months ago
  12. Panthro

Of course you could but for the people who have no idea about PC’s this is still a good option at a very good price.

You cant expect the prices of individually bought components to match up to that of a pre built machine, the cost of labour always adds a few extra dollars and it most rightfully should.

#12 7 months ago
  13. Erthazus

i3 or not. It is much better then PS4 or Xbox One system wise.
    and it’s just ONE prototype from the rest of 11 one’s.

It’s not even a launch system. It’s just a theory at best and we have not seen VALVE’s official prototype’s.

#13 7 months ago
  14. Citrus raptor

So, what can I play on it? . . .

#14 7 months ago
  15. Panthro

With the $399 I expect a combination of medium/high settings if you want to keep around 60fps on most games.

With the $699 I expect Ultra on some games but mostly High/Very high on others with a nice bit 8x AA.

All in all, both machines are decent enough to run modern games at high settings and above 30fps and 1080p all of the time.

#15 7 months ago
  16. Vapsyvox

It has steam slapped on it (which means that Gabe Newell is vaguely related).

#16 7 months ago
  17. Obernox

Price tag is attractive considering the hardware that comes with it.
    500GB sucks though.

#17 7 months ago
  18. OneLifeCycle

I dunno, I think this will attract a lot of people. There’s so much hype about them already.

@18, we all know you’re a dude and you fucked your neighbors wife (now ex-wife)and she’s now supporting your lazy, spamming ass. How else would you know so much about her? Fuckin home-wrecker.

#18 7 months ago
  19. yeoung

I was honestly expecting GTX770 or up and I5 or up with the “high-end” build. Price tag doesn’t seem too bad considering the current components, but I did expect a little more than that I3/760 combo.

If I’m to make that jump to PC gaming, it’d better be all it’s cracked up to be. Rather a big splash for Ultra/60fps/1080/AA/etc than something that is a step up, but not a leap.

VR peripheral compatibility (beyond OR) is also something I haven’t seen much about regarding Steam Machines, something (VR) that is arguably the biggest game in town in the near future. Still more prototypes to come though, and yet more to be announced I’m sure.

#19 7 months ago
  20. sebastien rivas

Your question is as valid as for Xb1 and Ps4.

Even the lowest Steam price point already surpasses Xb1 and Ps4 in spec.

@10 I agree and I ll do so to be honest but it is always interesting to know what is going on.

@15 I believe and assume from experience that you are right on spot. I own a R280X and all games are all on ultra + those like Bf4 can go up to easy 2/3rd of max supersampling setting without a hitch or drop in FPS.

@17 I know right, HDD are so dam expensive since the elusive and illusive flood in Asia that lasted for months on and then years on… I don’t know, perhaps the flood keeps going on and that is why mechanical drive are so dam expensive.

Agree while those specs are ok, they would not last more than 4 to 5 years for users who do not mind going on high at start and keeps going on medium settings in mid life cycle. I would say what I own as GPU is bare minimum for a 5 years investment and I expect to not last 5 years anyway but the price point was so good that it would have been a crime to miss out.
    Agreed with and for steam VR somehow whom I assume after reading articles that it may actually be possible for Rift on Steam… MAYBE!

#20 7 months ago
  21. The_Red

Wow, even if the $499 one isn’t super powerful, it’s already as low as one of the new consoles (Xbox One).

In a couple of years, we could see SteamMachines that are twice as powerful as Xbox One while costing less than even PS4.

#21 7 months ago
  22. junguler

wow 700 bucks for Core i3, 500 gb hdd and ddr3 ram ?
    what the fuck is this white friday?!!

#22 7 months ago
  23. AsianGameing

@junguler i no right with , a bit much. i am going wait and see (PS4 only 399$)

#23 7 months ago