Freedom Wars gets 11-minute trailer, showing characters, combat & more

Thursday, 19th December 2013 12:23 GMT By Dave Cook

Freedom Wars has received a new 11-minute trailer courtesy of Sony Japan Studio, showing the PS Vita in action, some new characters and more.

It follows this sizeable Freedom Wars trailer from November, which introduced us to the grappling hook tool.

DualShockers reports that the clip is presented by Freedom Wars’ cutesy mascot Propakun, and rookie criminal Shaz, who is also the protagonist’s best friend.

In the game’s prison world, prisoner’s cells are interconnected by a hub called “Law Street,” which is both guarded constantly and monitored 24-hours a day by cameras. As we know however, the game sees players incarcerated in virtual worlds for incredibly long sentences. It’s here that your story will unfold.

What do you make of Freedom Wars so far? Let us know what you think below.

Thanks Dragon.

1. Goffee

After the cool first CG trailer, where there was hope this could be something special for PS4, it has rapidly fallen downhill into a generic party-hunter. Shame!

#1 10 months ago
  2. absolutezero

Yup, getting pretty tired of Monster Hunter clones.

#2 10 months ago
  3. Obernox

This will be a nice replacement if God Eater 2 doesn’t come to the states.

@2 it’s pretty much a genre now, Calling this a clone is like saying Sleeping Dogs or Saints Row is a GTA clone.

#3 10 months ago
  4. lexph3re

This game looks fantastic. Can’t wait to play it!

Also, if you want to call these monster hunter clones you might as well call monster hunter a phantasy star clone. Just learn to enjoy the games because everything is a genre of something else. I personally prefer action focused genres like these over the gathering hunt system of MH.

#4 10 months ago
  5. Luciferous

The Auto English Subs are pure nonsensical gold!

#5 10 months ago
  6. Dragon

Its just that Monster Hunter itself was a take on Action RPG genre.

From someone who played almost all these kinds of games (MH,SS,Toukiden,GE2,Phantasy Star etc.), in terms of gameplay, GE2 is the best right now, and in terms of story, Soul Sacrifice wins (although FFVII- Crisis Core can be considered in the same genre, and it was one of the best psp games ever, with an awesome storyline).

Looking forward to this and PS Nova in 2014. This game looks like next step in gameplay in this genre, the claw seems a very good addition. And the storyline and world seem very interesting too. Although the colour palette could use some more colours (we haven’t seen much though).

@lex,

#6 10 months ago
  7. manamana

/off topic
    Oh lex, why did you even mention Phantasy Star … is it coming to the west on the Vita? Does anyone know? And while I’m at it: Zone of The Enders for Vita anyone?

Thanks guys

#7 10 months ago
  8. Dragon

@7,
    About PSO2, I don’t know, no announcements have been made. Although I am hopeful that PS Nova (vita exclusive) will come, since both PSP1 and PSP2 came on PSP in the west (get it? :P ).

Zone of The Enders Vita is dead. Konami didnt even patch the 360 version, so I don’t see them commissioning a Vita version.

#8 10 months ago
  9. Obernox

@8 Yeah, but the infiniti expansion never came to the west sadly. Pirate race FTW!

I’m still waiting on that damn PSO2, Sega should just get ATLUS to publish it.

#9 10 months ago
  10. manamana

Thanks guys. So sad with ZoE. Such a great IP.

#10 10 months ago
  11. dizzygear

@8 None of the japanese DLC for Phantasy Star Portable 2 and Phantasy Star Portable 2: Infinity never came to the west though so i would not hold my breath for Nova. After all its Sega were talking about and you know how much they hate our filthy western currency’s.

#11 10 months ago
  12. Dragon

@9,
    Same here. Need a good FTP on Vita, and PSO2 fits the bill nicely.

@11,
    I wouldnt dismiss it like that. Hatsune Miku came, so I am positively hoping at least a digital release for PS Nova.

I think PSO2 Vita may arrive alongside the PC version to west.

#12 10 months ago
  13. lexph3re

With Sega buying Atlus maybe atlus will find a way to bring it to the US. I would love to have PSO2 a lot of my friends are playing the Japanese versions. I can wait but, if it’s closer to never I will be supremely saddened.

#13 10 months ago