BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma coming to PS3 in Q1 2014

Wednesday, 18th December 2013 02:23 GMT By Brenna Hillier

BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma is the happy recipient of a shiny new release date, just squeezing into the first quarter of next year.

Aksys Games whacked a March 25 2014 release date on the 2D fighter today. Both the standard and limited edition are now available for pre-order.

All limited editions and first run standard edition copies will include an insert with a DLC code for Yuki Terumi.

The limited edition comes with the following bonuses:

40-Page Full Color Art Book – Featuring art from the game as well as specially created art by a variety of artists, the BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma art book is a must for any BlazBlue fan.

• Official Soundtrack CD – Composed by famed game creator and musician Daisuke Ishiwatari, listen to the sounds of this new BlazBlue with totally new music.
  • A Rachel Alucard Nendoroid “Petite” – Every LE comes with a nendoroid of everyone’s favorite vampiress with an attitude – Rachel Alucard. Only sold with the BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma Limited Edition.
  • A Fighting Moves Poster – For those new to the series, or those in need of an extra hand, this folded 18”x 24” poster is a great way to reference every characters’ moves.
  • Truly Exclusive Special Features Blu-ray – Featuring interviews with Toshimichi Mori, creator of BlazBlue, lead character designs and others, the Special Features disc will take you behind the scenes of BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma. Stay tuned for more information.

BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma has Ragna on his final mission to hunt down Terumi. There are five new characters as well as two more available as DLC, while returning faces have been redesigned and rebalanced.

The story mod boasts 30 hours of gameplay, and there are several other modes including Arcade, Unlimited Mars and Survival, too, as well as multiplayer.

1. salarta

One of those DLC characters is Kokonoe.

Not sure what I’m going to do about this game. After Platinum got playable by DLC for Continuum Shift, I basically stopped bothering with anything Blazblue. I hate the character. Now Kokonoe’s playable, but they pulled it as DLC that doesn’t even get her own story mode because the new game tosses out story mode following each character.

Maybe I’ll get it when the games much cheaper. Or maybe when one of the bajillion re-releases that include everything plus one extra thing are available for $15.

#1 7 months ago
  2. Ireland Michael

@1 “All these games are sexist to women!”

Plays the most overtly sexist games imaginable.

I’d act surprised, but I’m not.

#2 7 months ago
  3. thiz

I love this franchise, I really do. But… Terumi and Kokonoe need to be nurfed or else this is facerolling paradise.

#3 7 months ago
  4. salarta

@3: The Blazblue games seem to have a regular cycle where the newest character is extremely overpowered when they’re first released, then brought down to being balanced with the rest of the characters in subsequent updates and re-releases.

#4 7 months ago
  5. Ireland Michael

Ell ooh ell, ignoring your own hypocrisy.

It’s not sexist if it’s anime, I guess.

#5 7 months ago
  6. Obernox

Silly man, it’s not sexist because it’s a good game, like Dragon’s Crown.

#6 7 months ago
  7. Ireland Michael

@6 Being a decent game suddenly makes it not sexist?

Every single female character in the Blazblue series is eventually boiled down to breast envy and panty shots. It pretty much embodies everything that salarta bitches about regarding the subject in every second post he makes.

My issue isn’t with the sexism. It’s with his hypocrisy.

I never said the gameplay was bad.

#7 7 months ago
  8. salarta

@6: I grow increasingly amused by the “it’s now sexist because it shows a lot of skin and similar elements” gambit. :)

sex·ism (skszm)
    n.
    1. Discrimination based on gender, especially discrimination against women.
    2. Attitudes, conditions, or behaviors that promote stereotyping of social roles based on gender.

Showing skin isn’t sexism unless it’s used to promote stereotyping and discrimination, such as implying sexual attributes are the only thing about a woman or most important thing about a woman. It’s why even though I played Bayonetta and Lollipop Chainsaw and consider those women to be among the strongest examples personality-wise today (due to the loss of formerly strong ones last gen and virtually no replacements outside Chell from Portal), I do fault them for hypersexualization for purposes of titillation and parody. The hypersexualization undermines the positive parts.

I’m also more forgiving if it’s a brand new character for a brand new IP; I’m less forgiving if a character is radically changed in that vein, like I was toward the depiction of “Aya” in 3rd Birthday.

#8 7 months ago
  9. thiz

It is not sexist at all, because its a cultural thing. In Japan “reading” a hentai and being pro at Starcraft is as normal as eating food.

#9 7 months ago
  10. salarta

@9: I think companies like Squeenix putting out games like 3rd Birthday and considering it to be a good thing and expecting to make ridiculous amounts of money off it is a pretty big sign of how different Japan’s culture is.

But, culture is not a fair excuse for sexist content where that content actually is sexist. The actual, important, real world problems within Japan’s culture referring to women are why things like Perfect Blue were created, both the book and the anime film based on the book. I’ve read utterly insane behavior of fanboys over idols in Japanese culture, where the prospect of the idol ever having any kind of a boyfriend is cause for public shaming and having her career ruined. Compared to that sort of thing, “lol boob lady, lol lacking lady” hardly seems like the worstest thing ever. Much “worse” (quotes to emphasize matters of opinion) content than that has been written, directed, and endorsed by women.

Not that things are getting very good at all in Western society as of late. I’ve seen Joss Whedon equally touted as a huge champion of feminism because of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and as a sexist pig because of some of what he wrote for X-Men comics. I’ve also seen Brian Wood praised and adored for being a great feminist writer and for writing an X-Men book with a roster of all women, with women gushing about the progress he’s made for them, only for a scandal to erupt where another female comic book artist and creator accused him of sexual harassment. The main measures for what counts as sexism in Western pop culture currently seem to be “are they male or female” and “do I like or hate what they did?”

#10 7 months ago