Xbox One: UK store price hike confirmed by Microsoft – statement

Wednesday, 11th December 2013 09:49 GMT By Dave Cook

Microsoft has just confirmed to us that the price of exclusive digital games on the UK Xbox One store has inflated by £5. The company has also sent us a statement on the matter.

We reported on the UK Xbox One store price hike yesterday. Hit the link to see which games have increased.

In an email sent to me this morning, a Microsoft spokesperson said, “Yes, pricing for select digital content in some markets has changed since launch. Digital content pricing is subject to change and we may occasionally offer various deals or promotions. Ultimately pricing and promotions will vary by region.”

It follows Sony explaining the steep cost of games on the PS4 store. Read their statement through the link.

I voiced my opinion on the matter of over-charging and microtransaction flooding here. Quite frankly, it stinks.

What’s your view?

1. dsr

Welcome to the rotten digital future of MS. Funny how some fanboys believed what we will get “steam-like” system.

#1 1 year ago
  2. dex3108

Dear Sony and Microsoft you had 10 years to learn from Valve/Steam how digital distribution is done right way but obviously you didn’t learned a thing.

#2 1 year ago
  3. SplatteredHouse

More Microsoft BS. Don’t dare say you didn’t see it coming, or know what you were getting in to. Totally in agreement with Wulf, in the previous topic. In a closed system, you’re basically throwing yourself on the goodwill of the host to provide agreeable scraps. I’m right there aren’t I, NINTENDO? (don’t think I’m isolating MS in criticism on this). Microsoft IS Microsoft.
    “micro”transactions at launch, indeed! – bloody hell. Start as they mean to go on. Remember too: Germs exist to make people sick…

#3 1 year ago
  4. Pytox

and yet we were somehow going to see steam like deals right? :P

#4 1 year ago
  5. Klaxusprime

Proud of being a Pc gamer.. at least nobody treats us like filthy peons. In other markets people would revolt if prices were revised upwards so fast and without any real cause (like it happens to fuel)…
    Wake up!

#5 1 year ago
  6. SplatteredHouse

@2 There has been TEN years to learn, and grow accustomed to digital distribution and pricing acceptance, period. I’m sorry, but in 2013, any claims after the fact, of testing the water – or, learning the market (especially from major publishers, such as EA) holds no water whatsoever. In my view, that’s a very much disingenuous position to take.

#6 1 year ago
  7. pukem0n

Sony and Microsoft are in it for the money. You are stupid if you think any of those companies really cares about you or that you proudly defend their piece of plastic

#7 1 year ago
  8. monkeygourmet

Can’t wait for the unveiling of Halo alongside the TV show. I have a feeling MS are going to fuck every IP they own this gen in some way or another.

Dirty feckers.

#8 1 year ago
  9. ShakaCarnage

I’m getting fed up with people blaming MS for this. What no one is reporting is that Sony had DRM policies much like MS. They just didn’t announce them.

Once MS copped some bad feedback, Sony did a 180, for a PR victory.

When I say they did a 180, I mean they didn’t even tell publishers, who were rightly pissed off.

Had Sony stuck with the plan, digital prices would be considerably leas. We’re talking £30 for a full price game, and 45 at retail.

So, when you’re upset about pricing, try not to blame Microsoft

#9 1 year ago
  10. Dave Cook

@9 err…we’re talking about pricing here, not DRM.

And I think you’ll find that we ran many stories on Sony’s heinous PSN pricing last week and the week before.

The issue here is worse. Microsoft is putting its prices up, while Sony brought there’s down a little.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Hcw87

This is a nonissue for me, since you can just choose the US marketplace where the prices are alot lower. All you need is a US postal code and a fake US phone number, and you can add your credit card.

#11 1 year ago
  12. dex3108

What is Digital Distribution and why it is not used properly?

DD should be a way ti distribute content with lower costs and equally to every market. Today many publishers are using Retail principes in DD and that is wrong. Why should we get two, three or more release dates when DD is allowing Day 1 release for all regions? How much package and distribution costs when we compare it with servers maintenance costs? IF it is cheaper why should Digitally Distributed games be priced higher or same as Retail ones. Also Digital Distribution should be priced lower because there currently no way to sell or borrow Digital Content to others but you can do it with Retail Content.

Those are main things that certain Publishers/Stores should look at and change their approach to Digital Distribution.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Legendaryboss

I’ll just copy my other comment: Don’t like it? Don’t buy it. You do like it? Well okay you rick fuck ;) do what you want with your money. The expression goes “vote with your wallets.” I’m sorry thats my whole opinion on purchasing stuff. Micros-transactions, high priced games etc. etc. Buy what you think is valuable to you.

#13 1 year ago
  14. ShakaCarnage

Not talking about the story, Dave. That’s 100% fine. I was on about the comments.

#14 1 year ago
  15. TrickyAudio

@11 Exactly what I did on the PS4 – bought Blag Flag (about £27), Killzone and some others from the Amazon PSN store. Massive saving. Other than that, I’ll be sticking to blu-ray purchases.

#15 1 year ago
  16. GrimRita

Welcome to the world of the uncompetitive market of the UK. Were inflated prices make way for the odd ‘sale’ or price reduction.

MS aren’t the only ones playing dirty – supermarkets are at it as well. How many times a year do you see the SAME shit on ‘offer’ through out the year?

DD should have herald the arrival of cheaper items but it’s clear that publishers want a bigger slice of the pie from revenue, considering now that they no longer have retail taking a chunk from that pie.

Looks like the next gen war is over with Playstation coming out on top thanks to the endless run of bad PR from MS

#16 1 year ago
  17. CyberMarco

And that’s why MS (in general) and Sony (on my PS3) wont see any of my money for their digital distributed games.

I’ll continue buying retail for 1/3 of the asked price, thank you!

#17 1 year ago
  18. mistermogul

Well this generation MS can suck my big sweaty balls!

#18 1 year ago
  19. ErenInler

my Aunty Ella recently got Toyota Avalon pop over to this website http://goo.gl/35c2G6 (Home more)

#19 1 year ago
  20. gamereck36

I just recently signed up for a gamers membership that will allow me to get any new game for the next 2 years at $47.99 USD and with taxes $51.95.

#20 1 year ago
  21. Dirk

???
    We are treated as filthy pirating peons. Go check the prices in the EA store, it’ll make your eyes water. Even Steam is a bit overpriced, but at least they make up for it with the sales.

#21 1 year ago