Just Cause 3: “too early” to talk about it says Avalanche, but gives Just Cause 2 multiplayer mod its blessing

Friday, 6th December 2013 11:44 GMT By Dave Cook

Just Cause 3 is on the table, but it’s too early to talk about it, according to developer Avalanche Studios. However, the team has given JC2-MP’s Just Cause 2 multiplayer mod its blessing, following confirmation that it’s headed to Steam.

It follows Avalanche’s dev diary, during which the studio visits the jungles of Costa Rica to conduct environment research. Just Cause 2 was set in a jungle, remember? Could this sign-post the development of Just Cause 3? It seems plausible.

However, speaking with Eurogamer, Avalanche founder Christofer Sundberg was asked if the multiplayer mod has inspired a similar feature in Just Cause 3, when it happens.

He replied, “The multiplayer mod has been really inspiring to us. We have been discussing what we’d like to do with the Just Cause IP in the future, but it’s too early to talk about it just yet.”

Elsewhere, he commented on the mod’s success and the warm reaction from fans so far. “At first we couldn’t believe it was real,” he stressed. “It was a very positive surprise for us. When the community takes such an interest in your game, it’s a very solid stamp of approval.

“We reached out to the guys quite early and obviously gave them our blessing. The JC2-MP team has done a fantastic job. They are a super-talented group of game developers that I’d love to work closer with them in the future, despite the physical distance between us.”

When asked if Avalanche ever considered multiplayer for Just Cause 2, he replied, “Of course we did, but for budget and timing reasons those plans fell through. Personally, I’ve never been of the opinion that Rico as a character was well suited for multiplayer, but the world certainly is.”

Would you like to see Just Cause 3 happen? Want it with multiplayer? Let us know below.

1. SameeR_Fisher

That’s cool, so how about showing us a gameplay demo for Mad Max ?!

#1 1 year ago
  2. Asgaro

Awesome to see these developers are so open to modding!

It’s why the PC platform will always win in my eyes. Power to community created content.

I have played already in quite some Beta tests of the Just Cause 2 MP mod and it’s really fun. You also notice Just Cause 2 gets significantly more played on Steam when the mod is live for Beta testing.

#2 1 year ago
  3. YoungZer0

@2: “Awesome to see these developers are so open to modding!”

You better believe that not a single developer would be against modding. It’s the publishers that are against it. Most of them only care about the fast money, not a healthy long term relationship with their target audience. Mods allow just that. Your games stay longer on the radar, but when you release a new game of the same franchise every year that is supposed to replace the last one, you don’t care about the support.

#3 1 year ago
  4. TheWulf

The problem is is that the PC shouldn’t have to “win” anything, and it shows how completely and utterly wrong the industry is that we even think that way. We shouldn’t.

No, this is the only correct way to think about the desktop PC: The desktop PC is the best development and creation platform.

That’s a truth that can’t be shaken because of the nature of what such a computer is. I have artist friends who’ll tell you that tablets just don’t have the proper sensitivity for them to actually do their art. And by pressing on the screen in the way they’d need to, they’re likely to damage it even with a screen protector.

On the other hand, they can get a cheap touch screen monitor and an even cheaper Monoprice tablet for their PC. This is the preferred way of doing things of professional artists and those working on art assets in game development.

And due to the nature of the platform, it’s also easy to develop and compile on the PC at really fast speeds. You can turn a PC into a comfortable development environment and land new binaries quickly. This is why patches for Elder Scrolls games land on the PC first, because they’re just compiled and released, there’s no jumping through hoops.

So, the desktop PC is the best development platform. People are always going to be making experimental games and indie games on it, too, along with mods for AAA games. And AAA developers will continue to develop on a PC then port to a console.

But there’s where it breaks.

When they port to the console, no further development can be done! WHy? The console is not a development platform. Now, here’s the point where many console owners will think I’m disrespecting them, but I’m not, I’m just pointing out the obvious flaws of a closed system.

Let’s say, instead, that we had a console PC. Like the Steam Machines Valve is working on.

I create art assets on my desktop PC.

I develop a mod on my desktop PC.

You can play it on your console PC.

I create art assets on my desktop PC.

I create an indie/experimental game on my desktop PC.

You can play it on your console PC.

I’m using ‘console PC’ as a term for an open platform console which is compatible with the PC, which is what Valve is trying to do. That way, you can play a mod on your console the same way that I can on my desktop. If you want to play the JC2-MP mod on your console, you can’t. You can’t because it’s a closed platform with gatekeepers. Sony and Microsoft say you can’t, so you can’t. That’s that.

But if your console were also a PC, then you’d push a button in the mod shop (like the Steam Workshop) and you’d have access to it!

Push button. Get mod.

The desktop PC isn’t a superior platform, it’s a development platform.

The PC in general isn’t a superior platform, it’s an open platform.

If we had consoles which worked in the ways that computers do (perhaps with Steam Big Picture mode), then console owners could install and play all of the games and mods that we do. They wouldn’t be able to develop on such a beast because it’s not a development platform, but they would be able to enjoy all that was created.

I can’t help but stress this.

This is why I hope Valve takes over the console market, because they deserve to. Just as console owners deserve the right to play anything I can. To say that they shouldn’t be able to is wrong.

If I can play a mod, or a game, then anyone on any other relevant platfrom should be able to as well.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Asgaro

“A lot of the hatred and elitism that occurs between consoles and PC owners is due to haves and have-nots. The console owners don’t have access to all this stuff we have. And why not? Why not?! Because of the utter stupidity of Microsoft and Sony, that’s why not! Microsoft and Sony built their consoles as closed systems, and ultimately, they’re to blame.”

I can’t disagree with that!
    I also look forward to what the Steam Machines will bring. Although personally I’m pretty sure I won’t move my gaming from my desktop PC to a TV (I prefer mouse & keyboard), I can only encourage the initiatives Valve is taking!

Like you say, it’s all about the openness they provide. Valve will show Sony and MS how it’s done. And I hope the console market gets shaken up quite a bit.

I personally don’t see how console gamers can keep living will all the garbage you read about nowadays:
    - prices from 60 to even 70 euro for a game at release. And yes, I know you can get it cheaper. But the point is the prices go up every generation.
    - digital distributed games are too expensive because Sony and MS dont want to hurt their retail partners
    - microtransactions seem to pop up at a fast rate
    - DLC
    - season passes
    - certification process for patches. Seriously, why is this still in place? On PC there is no certification process and I don’t notice a significant increase in faulty patches or what the hell I should be expecting LOL!

On top of that: consoles become more and more like PCs!
    - they get the same functionality PCs have: media playback, streaming, social network integration, …
    - they also receive the same ISSUES console gamers in the past had not to think about:
    > patches are very frequent
    > crashes seem to happen more often
    > games have to be installed
    > disk management: console gamers will now also to watch their disk usage

You see more and more that consoles actually become PCs. So they lose the user friendliness generation after generation bit by bit.

On top of that, the only other advantage they have, “inexpensive” is literally bullshit now that Steam and all those key shops come into play.

Console gaming cost WAY more when you think about how much you can save on PC games. And I’m aware you can save also on console games by buying at stores like Amazon, but there is still a big difference at what time they drop in price.
    On top of that they have to pay – lets say – at least 5 years x 50 euro = 250 euro for accessing multiplayer and other features.

PC: you do 1 rather big purchase in the beginning but then you are settled because you can buy all your games for 15 euro max in a few months after release.
    Console: you do a smaller purchase but the investments you have to make over the long term are way bigger than on PC. Console games drop later in price, and multiplayer costs money.

#5 1 year ago