Microtransactions & subscriptions will form the next generation of games, says Avalanche boss

Monday, 25th November 2013 17:25 GMT By Sherif Saed

Christofer Sundberg, creative director and founder of Avalanche Studios, believes that microtransactions and subscriptions will be the norm for next-gen gaming. Sundberg recently took to Twitter to discuss his opinion.

He Tweeted saying, “Micro-Transactions, subscriptions and other biz models will be the next generation of games. It is that simple.” Answering Eurogamer’s Wesley Yin-Poole, he added, “F2P has become a label for low quality unfortunately, but basically that’s where we’re heading.”

In a later tweet he acknowledged that not everyone will do it right, “There will be f-ups for sure. Hopefully we can lower the initial price-piont and build the game with the community instead.”

Avalanche Studios is developer of the Just Cause series, and the upcoming Mad Max game, which is slated for release on PC and next-gen consoles.

Twitter links, 1, 2, 3.

Thanks, Gamespot.

1. mistermogul

I find this shit quite depressing…

#1 1 year ago
  2. monkeygourmet

Exactly what I feared… :(

Pay for cheats
    Pay for unlocks
    Pay for maps
    Pay for weapons
    Pay for avatar items
    Pay pay pay pay pay…

#2 1 year ago
  3. Arcnail

True.. but it’s where a lot of companies make the real money now. I’m not a fan of microtransactions, but subs, as long as there’s new content created and I can’t buy my way to winning, is fine by me.

#3 1 year ago
  4. domnage

#4 1 year ago
  5. DeVitowned

Just as long as I can get my gold horse armor, I’ll sleep well at night.

#5 1 year ago
  6. TheBlackHole

Me too.

Nice.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Bomba Luigi

Yeah, it really looks like that. Thats one of the two main Reason I don’t really want a Next Gen Console, I will wait an see how it plays out for now.

#7 1 year ago
  8. zme-ul

long live gaming
    oh .. wait!

#8 1 year ago
  9. Tearsir

Bella merda… aka nice shit…

#9 1 year ago
  10. DSB

I hope gaming gets its messianic creative figure before the suits manage to strangle it in the crib.

“Build the game with the community” is so much facepalm, that I have neither enough face, nor enough palm, to truly realize it.

It’s like a painter asking his audience to paint with him. Introducing the Mona Lisa, with a big fat cock on her forehead.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Dark

I will just vote with my wallet.

#11 1 year ago
  12. For Blood

This is why I am skipping this next gen completely. Games are nowhere near as fun as they once were. I’ll stick with my 360 and everything else that came before.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Lewis247

Why should be told this is how it’s going to be?

Gamers need to man up and actually take a stand against this.

It’s as if, if they force it down our throats so much we just learn to live with it while plenty of people accept and pay for things completing the cycle.

If they are still going to charge £50 for a game it better be the full package.

Candy Crush: the generation.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Ireland Michael

@10 And each ball costs a fiver.

#14 1 year ago
  15. Edo

Fuck that shit.

#15 1 year ago
  16. G1GAHURTZ

Bunch of moaners!

Stop whinging!

Nobody can make money on a game that people don’t buy/pay for microtransactions/subscribe to, can they?

#16 1 year ago
  17. manamana

@16 Yeah, moaners… F2P always means: gameplay is streamlined around monetizing. And how can that be any good, you non-moaner?!

#17 1 year ago
  18. The_Red

Well, thank you for ruining the next-gen for me.

And please don’t say “If you hate it, just don’t buy it”. The masses ALWAYS go for bad things. That’s why we are getting a 4th Transformer movie and have to pay 60 bucks for Forza 5, then more for Season Pass DLC and then maybe more to actually unlock the cars from said season pass (Unless you have 10000 free hours to grind and unlock them via in-game currency).

#18 1 year ago
  19. G1GAHURTZ

@17:

Don’t play them.

Simple.

#19 1 year ago
  20. monkeygourmet

Yup!

#20 1 year ago
  21. G1GAHURTZ

Or even better…

Play them, and don’t spend a single penny!

#21 1 year ago
  22. monkeygourmet

It used to be a case where these type of games were easily avoidable. Problem is, the success of this model with certain titles has made the model permeate genres / IPs it had no reason too apart from greed.

Your whole hearted acceptance without even mild anger shows you are ripe for the ‘picking’.

#22 1 year ago
  23. naffgeek

@Everyone except 16

Totally agree, maybe the next gen means the people playing them not the games themselves as I am far too old to take that kind of wallet raping shit!!

PC (indie mostly) and WII U it is then (until Ninty do it).

I am going to play the shit out of Tearaway and Links new adventure and pity people paying for Forza 5 and Ryse content which they should have got for the £50 they stumped up in the first place.

Fuck me this gets me down.

#23 1 year ago
  24. Joe Musashi

People are yelling at clouds.

When it stops being profitable the companies will stop doing it.

Outrage is not going to win this one.

JM

#24 1 year ago
  25. Creepy

@19 I, for one, care about game developers wasting their time and potential on making yet another CoD-WoW-AngryBirds-killer just because their braindead CEO thinks it’s the next big thing.

#25 1 year ago
  26. G1GAHURTZ

@22:

I’ve already said before that I despise F2P games.

I hate absolutely everything about the business model. It’s just a way of tricking people (mostly children) into buying things that they don’t need.

Other than one exception, I make a point of never playing them. I play Jetpack Joyride almost every day, but I’ve very intentionally never spent a single penny on it.

Don’t get confused, guys. I hate F2P.

Subscriptions, I don’t mind so much. I wouldn’t mind a sub based CoD, for example, because it would encourage devs to keep adding more and more stuff to keep people interested.

But there is no point in ranting and raving, and getting all worked up about them.

It’s a very simple formula…

Don’t like. Don’t play.

That’s exactly what I do.

I also completely disagree with this paranoid notion that is often applied to other games and services. Which is that if something becomes popular, it will take over everything, and anyone who doesn’t like it will be left with nothing.

If anyone can give me a single real world example where this has ever happened in gaming, then I will have to agree with the idea. But until then, it’s just near sightedness and paranoia.

Just because A is popular, it doesn’t mean that nobody will want to make B, or C, or D, etc, etc, etc…

#26 1 year ago
  27. G1GAHURTZ

@25:

I don’t think that would change if we took F2P and subs out of the question, though.

#27 1 year ago
  28. truth

Just give me another just cause please

#28 1 year ago
  29. debug

@domnage
    >:)

Micro-transactions are just unpleasant to think about. Never bought that any. I just hate having in mind tons of transactions I just made. Buying a game is only one, so I feel okay with it. I know it’s just a mind trick tho.

#29 1 year ago
  30. Cobra951

@12: I never thought that would happen to me, but if this Avalanche guy is right, I’m with you. I have plenty left to do in the current gen. By the time I run out of backlog, there may be enough next-gen games without this bullshit for me to consider buying into it again.

@10: Haha! Post of the day, my friend. Hear, hear!

#30 1 year ago
  31. Luciferous

My approach to F2P is this – If I like the initial game I may dump some money in to it, but never more than I would have spent on the game at retail… Unless the game is REALLY good, then I may go a bit over that limit.

#31 1 year ago
  32. Xbone

So far the only game that has a good f2p model is LEAGUE OF LEGENDS. Everything else sucks. I rather pay sub for TESO then dealing with the micro bullshit.

#32 1 year ago
  33. Creepy

@27 Should we all silently watch game studios commit suicide? Devs may need some moral support to push their ideas to the upper management, and for all I know, “moaning and whining” on the Internet can do wonders.

#33 1 year ago
  34. ManuOtaku

Well if that end up being truth, this will be my last gen then,thank god i have quite the collection of games counting all gens, to keep me busy in that future

#34 1 year ago
  35. fearmonkey

I admit I was quite surprised at the Microtransactions in Forza.
    You can take forever to earn the rarest of cars, or pay $100 to buy it right away. I don’t like that at all. Earning the right to that car should be what its all about not that someone has more money than sense to buy a virtual object like that.

#35 1 year ago
  36. gameoholic007

Well, if these developers wish to charge everyone to play their games online, when we’re already paying subscription membership fee’s on the consoles, I simply will not play them, easy as that, and we’ll see how that grabs them.

#36 1 year ago
  37. karma

Really doubtful that gamers will accept such uncreative and crappy “tis all bout teh moneyz” game design tbh. Just look at the recent online passes and console DRM 180 to see that a huge number of gamers with negative feedback did force change. Nah, the dude is on crack if he thinks that gamers will be okay with the F2P / microtransaction model.

Most likely he’s only saying this because their next game will be F2P with microtransactions, and he’s attempting to talk it up and make it seem like we’ll all bend over for that. lol.

#37 1 year ago
  38. yeoung

I don’t believe microtransactions to be inherently bad. It depends on the game’s design decisions vis-a-vis implementation and marketing perspective, specifically PR.

If value of product is retained regardless of additional content, i.e no hidden/locked content, micro dlc would simply add extra layers to committed players. I believe having a transparent design and production process goes a long way to establishing consumer trust. Barring an arguably controversial outcome, Double Fine did an exemplary job of this during their Kickstarter campaign for Broken Age.

The bad rep micro-dlc has gotten is cause for worry, addressing this and actively showing intent and passion for the core game up to completion will alleviate most of those worries. In the end, game designers are underutilized in community building in a lot of cases. It is certainly still possible to nurture a loyal fanbase in this cynical age as developers like Mojang, CD Projekt Red and Double Fine a.o have demonstrated.

/0.02

#38 1 year ago
  39. manamana

@G1GA Haha, only that ‘Jetpack joyride’ isn’t a full flegdged game. But yeah, the kids would love to buy a virtual car for real $100 in RealRacing3. And yes, I don’t play F2P games, I choose so, thanks. Problem is the same like the time when CoD4 came out – everyone tried to be like them. So F2P and microtransactions and on disc-DLC works? Publishers like EA or Activision are right there for you then.

Dont get me wrong: I don’t mind enhanced gameplay with DLC or new maps or new missions and the likes. But it’s obvious that microtransactions, DLCs and passes are crippling fullprice games in order to make more money. If you like it, roll with it. I try to avoid this kind of stuff. And we are talking AAA console games like Dead Space3 here, not some shabby runner on a smartphone.

Edit: I also recommend this http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Beware-60-Fee-Play-Games-With-Microtransactions-57896.html

#39 1 year ago
  40. ruckus

“… $6198 in one month on the computer.”

And that’s the problem right there Tanya: $6198 in microtransactions. Where does this shit stop?_?

#40 1 year ago