SWTOR video shows you how to dominate your opponent in PvP space battles

Friday, 15th November 2013 14:04 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Star Wars: The Old Republic has an new, free-to-play, digital expansion coming in December, which will include PvP space battles called Galactic Starfighter. To give you an idea of what to expect from it, BioWare has released a new video as well as screenshots.

Beginning December 3, subscribers get early access to the content as well as the exclusive Scout and Strike Fighter “Valiant” Paint Jobs, Pilot Suits, and in-game titles.

The expansion and its 12 vs 12 space battles will be made available to the public beginning on February 4.

1. YoungZer0

I read from many folks that you can actually play it like a singleplayer game. Is that true?

#1 8 months ago
  2. viralshag

@YZ, For the most part that’s correct. Obviously it won’t play like a SP version of KOTOR as you still have to do MMOish things such as kill mobs and complete quests.

But if you do enough to just follow the classes main story quest then it is possible. You don’t need to do any of the instances or anything to progress that portion of the game.

And I would recommend the story portion of the game. Some classes are better than others – notably the Imperial Agent and Jedi Knight – but they’re all pretty cool.

#2 8 months ago
  3. ChandlerL

@1, I’d agree with what you’ve heard. The class stories are unique and a lot of fun as a single player experience. It’s F2P so give it a shot.

Edit: I’d also agree with @2. It’s not quite up to what KOTOR brought us, however, for an MMO, the class stories are the best you’ll find.

#3 8 months ago
  4. thiz

This game has the best pvp I’ve seen in an MMO besides DAoC of course. Its just so much fun being able to actually tank in pvp. And yes, other games promote this as well, but its not really true for them. Juggernaut PvP is just amazing in swtor.

Subscribers will get Space PvP as early as Dec 3rd, but I never liked the idea of that and won’t participate. Pvp as is right now is great tho.

#4 8 months ago
  5. ddtd

Is this expansion similar to the Space Expansion for Star Wars: Galaxies, or do you load into smaller “space maps” like the current content in SWTOR?

#5 8 months ago
  6. GrimRita

@4 – you must be running a LOLSmash spec if you think pvp in this game is great. It has zero balance right now with 2 classes leading the charge to grab the OP crown.

It is lots of fun but Biowares recent spat of introducing flawed design decisions to pvp is just running it into the ground.

Only a bunch of loons would bring out a new pvp format, or in SWTWoW case, cloned format with Arenas and not add any kind of balance to pvp first.

@5 Not a chance. Bioware haven’t the vision or scope from a game released in 2004. For a start it doesnt offer support for controllers/joy stick as SWG did.

Do they have enough players to do 12v12 in pvp?

#6 8 months ago
  7. DarkElfa

@6, I pwn with my sorc, L2P, :P

#7 8 months ago
  8. viralshag

@6, I really don’t see where the PvP is THAT broken and unbalanced. It’s something you’ve said almost from the start but I really can’t agree with you on it.

I have played almost all classes at a variety of levels in PvP and they all do what they’re supposed to. Like all MMOs, some specs work better than others in PvP and in TOR each class has something akin to a PvP talent tree.

#8 8 months ago
  9. Stephany Nunneley

screenshots added

#9 8 months ago
  10. GrimRita

@8 then maybe you should read the forums more. Clearly the Mara/Sent spec is OP with the smash doing stupid amounts of damage, the OP healers from the Operative/Scoundrels.

2.0 was a mess and has left some classes useless in pvp (like the Concealment Op./Scoun) and yes they have talent trees but whats their point of only 1, or if you’re luck 2 of the 3 are actually viable.

They even admit class balance is screwed up but wont do anything until after 2.5. They either need to fire their testers or actually do more on their test server instead of pushing out borked updates as this expansion will probably be.

#10 8 months ago
  11. viralshag

@10, I play the game and I play a scoundrel, I’ve never had a problem with it.

What’s the problem with some classes being stronger? Both teams will have them as they’re mirror classes… if you’re playing with people that know how to PvP a lot of these problems disappear.

I find the problem is often people not knowing how to play as a team, coordinate and actually do the things they’re supposed to.

#11 8 months ago
  12. GrimRita

@11 clearly you havent played swtor pvp because playing as a team 90% of the time doesnt happen.

And in your class I bet you play a healer, so you wont have a problem. Or the spec that isnt scrapper(I think, which is the same as concealment Operative)- which comes to my point. 3 skill trees 1 useless since 2.0

The fact that almost everyone has rolled these classes tells you the story. Either way, only a bunch of idiots would add something new to PvP without adding any kind of balance first.

1 Arena – opposition with 3 healers…way to go! lol

#12 8 months ago
  13. Uncontested

Love this game but the PvP is just awful.. I still have not played a good game with PvP since Asheron’s Call. Shadowbane and Darkfall were okay.. but still AC hands down was the best. I will never understand how anyone can like systems where abilities just automatically land/target on the enemy instead of requiring some kind of skill to aim and fire lol

#13 8 months ago
  14. YoungZer0

@2, 3: Thank you two. I might actually check it out now.

#14 8 months ago