PS4 vs Wii U: “We need Nintendo to be very successful,” says Yoshida

Wednesday, 13th November 2013 11:29 GMT By Dave Cook

PS4 and Wii U may be competitors, but President of Sony Worldwide Studios Shuhei Yoshida has stressed that he wants to see Nintendo successful, as its formats will usher in new waves of younger gamers, ultimately benefiting the industry as a whole.

It comes as part of an IGN interview, during which Yoshida said, “When you look at the situation around Nintendo that way, do you characterize Nintendo as our competition? I think in the bigger scale of things happening in the industry or tech or people’s lives, how they play games on what device, and how they start to learn to play games, I think Nintendo and us are pretty much in the same group

“We need Nintendo to be very successful to help induct as many consumers who like to play games with controllers, right? I have two Wii Us. I play Wii U games with my daughters, because they make pretty fun family friendly games.”

That said, Yoshida feels that Nintendo missed a trick by trying to target core gamers with Wii U, but feels that the problem has started to subside. He continued, “I think success or making mistakes depends on how you set your goal. I don’t know what was Nintendo’s goal when they launched Wii U. To me, it was a bit confusing because what they do really well was create some very safe environment for anyone, especially children to enjoy games like induct those people who have never played games ever to become gamers. And they always do very well.

“To me, what they have made with Wii U was continuing what they were doing well. But the messaging when they were saying ‘we are for core gamers’ was a bit confusing. But this year I think they slightly changed their messaging, and it seems to me like they are coming back to where they are focused.”

What do you make of Yoshida’s stance? Is Nintendo still an important cog in the industry as far as inducting newcomers is concerned? Let us know what you think below.

Via MCV.

1. viralshag

Bit of a backhanded compliment I guess.

Hey, we need you to bring in the customers now that we need later.

#1 1 year ago
  2. VibraniumSpork

Well Ninty’s problems are oft-discussed and argued. No need to re-hash them here.

But he’s right, their core strength still lies in the fact that they excel at “fun family friendly games,” which is something neither Sony or MS have really chosen to tackle yet with next-gen yet. They also bring something else to the table: brevity. Will have the PS4 for the all the shooty/stabby ‘serious’ stuff; need the WiiU for some smiles and sunshine. I’m just biding my time for a further price-drop before nabbing one…there’s got to be a £200 price tag on the Premium at some point early next year, right?

#2 1 year ago
  3. AmiralPatate

Of course they need Nintendo, otherwise how would they be able to copy the Wiimote?

#3 1 year ago
  4. xino

yes he’s right.
    Sony for adults
    Microsoft for teens
    and Nintendo for kids

#4 1 year ago
  5. Christopher Jack

I’ve noticed Sony makes their casual moves towards the end of each console generation. I mean PS2 had Eyetoy & PS3 had Move. In between they’ve always had fun family friendly games like Crash, Spyro, Ratchet, Jak, Buzz, Singstar, etc.

Most of them were good & while it’s entirely subjective about quality most people would still consider Nintendo having the better library for family friendly titles. I mean even I can’t argue with Pokemon, Mario, Zelda, SSB, etc. I may not like some of them as much as Sony’s offering but I can’t deny their impact.

All I can say about Microsoft is Kinect. They’ve made maybe a handful of early family titles like Viva Pinata for the X360 but when I think MS I only think Master Chief & Marcus Phoenix- no arguments that they’re great but they’re not exactly family friendly.

#5 1 year ago
  6. dreamcastnews

He’s totally correct. Nintendo are needed for entry-level hardware, I’ve always thought this. Every girlfriend I’ve ever had has always played Nintendo games with me since they are easy to understand and fun to play together. I imagine it’d be the same if I had a family since young gamers ultimately benefit from cutting their teeth on simpler hardware before moving up to the Xbox or PlayStation.

A very well said statement that shows that Nintendo are correct to pursue something different to what the other two do.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Legendaryboss

Interesting perspective although still doesn’t warrant Nintendo’s “different” status but to each his/her own.

#7 1 year ago
  8. KesMonkey

@4: You must be a PlayStation owning adult. A clever one too.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Dragon

@viral,
    Looks like it ;)

#9 1 year ago
  10. dreamcastnews

@7, I’m not sure what you mean? Nintendo don’t march to same drums as the competition, that makes them different does it not?

#10 1 year ago
  11. Legendaryboss

I realise Nintendo are different but factors or shall i say trends apparently do not warrant Nintendo’s different status in a beneficial way for consumers.

In less jargon themed terms their third party support problems, online play, account tied to system not user account and lack of store unification e.g. Wii U+3DS one shop do not warrant different status.

#11 1 year ago
  12. polygem

he’s right and without nintendo paving the way in the 80′s and 90′s the biz wouldn’t be where it is today. everyone who’s objectively looking at the games industry’s history must admit that. no need to worry about nintendo, despite wiiu. they still make quality games, fun games. as long as that’s the case you really do not need to worry about nintendos long term success. they don’t need to be x1 or ps4 killers in order to be successful, that’s something many people (yes, looking at you dragon) just don’t get into their heads. nintendo ARE different. #deal with it.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Legendaryboss

I knew you would arrive its in the Prophecy :)

#13 1 year ago
  14. polygem

*your wish has been granted*

#14 1 year ago
  15. Dragon

Poor salesmen, so pathetic in their life. I wonder if they spend their entire real life putting a Wii U banner and tattoo on their heads, begging street-goers to buy their system.

Seriously fanboy salesman, get a life and #dealwithit with differing opinions and facts.

#15 1 year ago
  16. polygem

what exactly did i try to sell there lil’ spyro?
    my post stands. i think it was a decent post.

i think yoshida was the salesman here wasnt he?

i bet he was pissed that he couldn’t reclaim “Yoshi” as his nintendo id – too short

“DaYoshi” is also a great id though :)

#16 1 year ago
  17. dreamcastnews

@15 you’re starting plural and then the last part of your statement is singularity. I’m confused, is it just Polygem you’re taking a swipe at ?

#17 1 year ago
  18. kensredemption

Yoshida and Iwata need to get caught singing in a karaoke bar together and then blackmailed into making Kingdom Hearts their exclusive franchise. :P Unless Square Enix gives us cross-platform multiplayer, then The Big Three should have KHIII together.

#18 1 year ago