Xbox One day one patch is not “really an optional thing,” says Penello

Friday, 8th November 2013 15:07 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Xbox One will require a day one update to the system in order for it to function, according to the firm’s senior director of product management Albert Penello.

Speaking with Engadget, Penello said the system will not be usable straight out of the box, as consumers will be able to do “nothing” until the update is downloaded.

“You need the day one update,” he said. “Functionally, you will be able to do very little without taking the day one update. A lot of the apps come with the day one update because they wouldn’t have even been done.

“You’re gonna need to take this update. It’s not gonna be really an optional thing.”

Sony will release a day one update for PlayStation 4as well, for the same reasons as Microsoft, and to also to add updates to some of the system’s basic functions.

Xbox One launches November 22.

1. Xbone

Buying a crapbox IS.

#1 9 months ago
  2. mal617

Can’t wait for the 22nd

#2 9 months ago
  3. monkeygourmet

It wouldn’t have hurt if both next gen consoles had more time in the oven.

You mean the 23rd? Thats when you will have finished installing all the updates! ;)

#3 9 months ago
  4. TheBlackHole

@3 not on an 80mb connection it won’t :)

#4 9 months ago
  5. TheDeathKwonDo

Edit. Second thoughts. Enjoy your ps4s :-P

#5 9 months ago
  6. monkeygourmet

‘Meanwhile at Blackholes house on the 22nd…’

http://www.mashedreport.com/2010/08/01/total-recall.gif :)

#6 9 months ago
  7. Os Money

wait this isnt a ps3…

#7 9 months ago
  8. mal617

@3 getting both consoles, be a lame somewhere else.

#8 9 months ago
  9. Djoenz

Monkeygourmet and Polygem aka tagteam you guys were always leaning towards Xboxone before the reveal and still are.

Just get one and get it over with.

#9 9 months ago
  10. Fin

What if the servers go down or are super slow? :/

I’ve a 120mb connection, I get 1mb/s from Apple, 2-3mb/s from Sony (never measured MS).

#10 9 months ago
  11. Ireland Michael

@10 Teh powah of teh cloud is infinite, so it could never possibly go down.

#11 9 months ago
  12. Djoenz

I only have a 20mb connection :(
    It does the job though.

#12 9 months ago
  13. bobnice

Got Fios Quantum 50mb download 20mb upload. Not a problem for me. I download games at 7mb/second. Im so damn excited for the 15th and the 22nd….the 22nd a bit more so. Because all my friends are sticking with xbox one

#13 9 months ago
  14. livewired500

HA! My kid has two friends that said they are getting Xbones for xmas. And I know that neither of them has internet. Their parents just use their phones for internet.

So unless the day one patch can be downloaded through their phones they will end up being sorely disappointed, or they will end up at my house trying to get updates.

#14 9 months ago
  15. lexph3re

Glad I have a 30mb plan. I highly doubt that I wouldn’t get anything but max on both next gen consoles. I get 20 on ps3 my 360 doesn’t tell me nor does my 3ds and my vita is around 10 mbs. I expect my full 30 day one on my ps4… and no less -_-

#15 9 months ago
  16. DuckOfDestiny

I’d piss myself if both Sony and Microsoft fuck up the day one update.

#16 9 months ago
  17. gameoholic007

I have a 20mb line myself, and have no issues, so I don’t think it’ll be a problem for a simple 300mb download.

#17 9 months ago
  18. fearmonkey

I* have wondered about this and actually asked someone at Gamestop if they were going to explain this months ago, and they said no plans so far.

Being that its $500, it’s probably very unlikely most will not have internet of some sort.

#18 9 months ago
  19. Dragon

Question is, can we play retail launch games without the patch?

#19 9 months ago
  20. JPickford

No. It’s not really a patch. It’s the OS.

#20 9 months ago
  21. Major Mayhem 70

I’ve got 50 mb connection but 3 X1′s that need to be updated :)

#21 9 months ago
  22. bradk825

I knew this many months ago, but I suppose since he’s saying it again in an interview that makes it todays news also. At least we had lots of notice for this.

#22 9 months ago
  23. bradk825

@16 you might not want to commit to that in writing. That is firmly in the realm of “That could happen.”

#23 9 months ago
  24. polygem

@9: ha, yes i enjoyed the 360 so much more but they´ve lost me. too much clusterfuck and BS at the x1 reveal. not feeling their product atm. i go where i think i can enjoy gaming the most. that´s constantly changing though. always has. i will probably pick up an xbox again with the next halo. i don´t think that i will be able to resist that. i am not a platform loyalist. not even regarding nintendo – eventhough that might be hard to believe for some :)
    but seriously, as soon as i think their stuff isn´t enjoyable, or worth owning a platform for anymore, i´ll move on. i am that cheap.

#24 9 months ago
  25. SCAssassin

Wii U needed a Day One patch, PS4 needs a Day One patch, Xbox One needs a Day One patch. Why is that a trend to begin with?

#25 9 months ago
  26. revsouly2

Just curious…where do u guys live that you have such high broadband speeds? I live in the US & I pay $85 a month for 25 mb with a 275 gb per month cap. This is the best deal in the area.

#26 9 months ago
  27. Djoenz

Hold on you pay 85 bucks a month for 25mb and you have a 275 cap?

My 20 mb deal has no cap and its tv + internet for 38 bucks. TV is 15 euro so I pay 23 bucks for my 20gb no cap speed.

This is the cheapest deal here. God bless the Netherlands.

#27 9 months ago
  28. pukem0n

i dont get why people are worried about this update

you need an internet connection to set it up anyway, and XBL is not a crappy service like PSN, so you always get good download rates.

i bet it wont take more than half an hour to get this done, and still everybody is whining.

#28 9 months ago
  29. Llewelyn_MT

$85 for the internet? Good Lord… I have a land line with unlimited domestic calls + 6 Mbps ADSL (no data cap) for $28 over here in Poland. I don’t really need more than that.

#29 9 months ago
  30. revsouly2

Yep, @27, @29… that’s how it is here. Every provider has caps on usage and prices are crazy. Downloading 1 full game, 7 – 10 Gb, eats almost 5% of my cap. When you have Xb, Ps3, PC, Netflix, etc..I have to be selective in what I watch and download…not even considering I have children. there is no way an ALL digital console works until prices come down and speeds go up

#30 9 months ago