Xbox One consoles will sell out without Titanfall at launch, says Spencer

Friday, 1st November 2013 10:17 GMT By Dave Cook

Xbox One’s launch line-up has been discussed by Microsoft’s Phil Spencer, and the exec feels that even though the company’s megaton exclusive Titanfall isn’t out until March, the console will still have no trouble selling out.

Titanfall is indeed impressive. You can check out my big hands-on and interview feature here.

Speaking on IGN’s Podcast Unlocked, Spencer championed Titanfall as a “killer app,” but stressed of the Xbox One’s launch line-up, “There’s always some surprises at launch, there’s always something that comes out and is the Minecraft, the thing that people wouldn’t predict.

“I like the number of titles we have – we’ve got over 20 titles at launch, and then you start to talk about what’s going to happen in early ’14. The strength of the portfolio all up is something that I really think will be great for Xbox One customers.”

With the likes of Forza Motorsport 5, Dead Rising 3, Killer Instinct, Call of Duty: Ghosts, Battlefield 4 and other titles on day-one, Spencer is being somewhat modest. Returning to Titanfall, he added, that a March launch for Respawn’s shooter “perfect” and that keeping momentum going after Xbox ONe launches with such key releases is an important part of the gameplan.

He continued, “When I think about when TitanFall launches – would it have had an impact? Absolutely. A game that’s that spectacular would have had an impact. But I am actually really happy with where it’s coming because I think when you look at the people who are going to line up, the Xbox fans, the PlayStation fans, that certain [factionalism] out there that you can see play out, and people will just have their allegiance, they’ll buy the console that they care about.”

Regardless of when Titanfall launches, Spencer stressed that Xbox One will sell out. “And we look at our preorder numbers” he stated,”e and we look at the anticipation in the market we’re hearing from retailers, and I think we’re going to sell about every piece of hardware we can build. Knock on wood.”

Will you be getting an Xbox One for Titanfall? Do you feel Xbox One hardware will sell out? Let us know what you think below.

Via CVG.

1. zinc

So MS will be keeping back 50% of their stock to create false shortage, ready to *feed the need* in March?

#1 12 months ago
  2. VibraniumSpork

Getting an XB1 for Titanfall? Yep, I’m definitely leaning that way. An official bundle hopefully, with Titanfall logos and insgignia all over the console itself. Dat special edition.

As for XB1 selling out, I hope so. I’m one of those profiteering villains who’s got an XB1 pre-order in place purely to flip it on eBay. We’ll see if I can resist breaking the console out of the box once it arrives on my doorstep though…

#2 12 months ago
  3. fengato

Note that he says ‘knock on wood.’ I can’t speak for other territories, though Australian retailers are still offering day one X1s as of today. PS4s are backed up until well into 2014.

#3 12 months ago
  4. viralshag

I should be getting my Xbox One in three working weeks (weekends don’t count because they fly by anyway) and I’m hyped. Traded in all my 360 games and got £180 store credit which went straight on Ryse, Assassins Creed, COD and Forza. Not to mention I get FIFA with the console.

Even though I have BF4 on the PC, I might just pick it up for the XB1 too. I’m getting all my gym, exercise, socialising and boozing in now because that launch weekend (3 days for me) I don’t plan on seeing the light of day.

Tl;dr: I’m more than happy to buy it without Titanfall and I can’t wait for it to come out!

#4 12 months ago
  5. Major Mayhem 70

I’m with you Viralshag!
    November is going to fly by for me. I took a vacation day on the 15th for the PS4 launch to play Killzone SF then the following week I’ve taken the 22nd through the 30th for the Xbox One launch to play Ryse, Dead Rising 3, Forza, Battlefield 4, Killer Instinct and COD Ghost.

#5 12 months ago
  6. stretch215

He’s right up to this point. Xbox one has been sold out here (u.s.) for a while. The other day gamestop opened up more pre orders and within hours (like 3), they were gone. There will definitely be $ to be made around launch on ebay.

#6 12 months ago
  7. derpachu

@1 congrats! You figured out how marketing works! Derp

#7 12 months ago
  8. viralshag

@Major, I would have loved to book more time off for it but I just started a new job and saved what holiday I had for Christmas.

I am tempeted to get Dead Rising 3 but I think I might save that for Xmas time… which is only next month thinking about it haha. The Christmas after a console launch is often the only time I actually have requests for gifts.

#8 12 months ago
  9. DSB

@1 Beautiful. In the long line of embarrassing mistakes made by Sony last gen, I would fully expect Microsoft to repeat that one as well.

“Oh noes, all of our PS3s are GONE! Bettur make sure you’re ready once they ‘come back’, wink wink” followed by a near-immediate response by the internet showing full stocks of apparently untouched PS3s around the globe.

When is a bitch gonna learn, yo?

#9 12 months ago
  10. zinc

@10, I fully expect Giant Crabs to be a main enemy in Ryse. Completing the circle ;)

#10 12 months ago
  11. Nephilimator

Sure it will sell out because its new and shiney, but I doubt it will have to do with paying $100 more then its competition to get slower hardware, lower resolutions, lower frame rates, lower AA, and lower details. Pay more for less? Microsofts 100 million dollar marketing campaign will bring in plently of uneducated people though so they should be fine in the long run. I will be flipping them at launch and then using the money made to purchase one once they have built a proper game library.

#11 12 months ago
  12. schnide

Did no-one ask Phil about why third party titles don’t perform as well on Xbox One?

Seems a little unfair to ask Xbox fans to swallow all these plus points while dodging the big questions. Not treating them very respectfully, is it?

#12 12 months ago
  13. Playmaker

@13 performance seems fine. Graphics arent as pretty bc of a weaker GPU. I’m a MS fan and I’m perfectly happy with XB1 and its “ugly” games. I’ll be crying while playing KI, DR3, and Titanfall next year. Guess I’ll just have to make do …

I’m jealous of some of the 2D indie games on the PS4 though.

#13 12 months ago
  14. Nephilimator

@15 Because DF botched the comparison: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/digital-foundry-up-old-tricks-only-bf4-comparison-video-looks-different-1399414/

#14 12 months ago
  15. TheBlackHole

The Xbox One is perfectly fine as a games console. There won’t be much that can’t be run on both – not until very late in the gen cycle anyhow.

#15 12 months ago
  16. Gekidami

^ I’d say the difference is that gamers are a lot more tech savvy now, back then resolution and FPS didnt really mean anything to everyone besides a select few. Now theres a massive faction of gamers who know what all of this stuff means because it was a big focus of the PS360 gen.

#16 12 months ago
  17. fearmonkey

@17 – “No-one cared when the Playstation 2 had worse graphics than the Xbox, and that gap was MUCH bigger than this one. ”

That was an entirely different situation. Sony was a sure bet back then and had a year head start, Sega was not looked at as favoribly, and the Xbox was a new brand when people’s memories of the Saturn and jaguar was fresh in everyones mind.

Sony was super successful with the PS1, promised toy story like graphics, and was a big brand. MS was not looked at as favorably back then, many gamers were resentful that MS would come in and dominate like the did in the PC industry. When I bought my original Xbox at launch, I was told by the staff at the store I was making a huge mistake, that I should get a PS2, and the Xbox would be dead within two years like the 3DO and Dreamcast.

The Playstation brand has taken quite a beating thanks to their arrogance and PS3, but it’s still a big familiar brand. MS got cocky and now are viewed much like Sony was in 2005/2006.

Many Xbox fans are not impressed with the Cost or the abilities of the Xbox One and are going to PS4, myself included. I have a large group of friends that have Xbox parties, and only one is possibly getting an Xbone at launch and he is on the fence. My close group of friends, all of which own a Xbox and Xbox 360, are not buying one and several are buying PS4′s. A year ago this wasnt the case, we were all buying the next Xbox. MS screwed up and we shall see if they regain their crown.

#17 12 months ago
  18. freedoms_stain

@17, Yeah, massively different situation there I’m afraid. Not very comparable.

#18 12 months ago
  19. Erthazus

@TheBlackHole, because Playstation 2 and Xbox were behind PC tech so much that it was not really a big deal to compare with each other because there was no reason for that.

since 7th gen consoles. Console manufacturers tried to enter High definition era with multimedia services and games started to look much better then in previous gen and they started to use Internet.

#19 12 months ago
  20. polygem

i was multiplat this gen but ps3 was my exclusivesstation. ms definitely lost me with x1. they presented their next machine and it was clear right from their reveal presentation: that thing is not made for a guy like me. a year before that i would’ve bought one blind…i am switching over to sony as well. i wasn’t a fan of the ps3 but with 4 everything looks much better.

#20 12 months ago
  21. viralshag

It amazes me how one day graphics isn’t everything and the next day it is.

At the end of the day, the games still look great. They’re still an improvement on this gen. And they’re still not as good as the PC.

If you really are that bothered about getting the absolute best then just buy a PC. If you want slightly better, buy a PS4. If you prefer the Xbox as a console then buy that. Why would you care what other people buy?

Everyone I know on the 360 that I play with regularly is getting an Xbox One and that was more than enough for me to buy it.

#21 12 months ago
  22. TheBlackHole

“It’s kind of sad though that Xbox fans are forced to say what PS2 fans had to say regarding the Xbox, that performance isnt everything, isnt it?”

That all depends on whether you believe it.

I feel like they would have done better to stick to their guns with regard to the always-on – at least then they would have some point of differentiation, like family sharing.

If you could only make comparisons with exactly like for like situations they would be few and far between. The PS2 and Xbox were part of the same generation of gaming. That makes them comparable, even if that comparison comes with certain caveats.

“because Playstation 2 and Xbox were behind PC tech so much that it was not really a big deal to compare with each other because there was no reason for that.”

PC has always been way ahead of console tech. What makes this gen any different?

#22 12 months ago
  23. fearmonkey

@24 –

If performance isn’t everything, why get a next gen console at all right now? None of the games for either system are OMG have to have it, just stick with 360 then.

Why spend $500 for a system that performs less than something $100 cheaper? Is kinect that exciting?

“I guess it’s a shame MS didn’t realise that all this generation of gamers want is better graphics. ”

I don’t get that…MS started the Xbox brand based on the idea that they had the most powerful console and everything looked and played better on Xbox. With Xbox 360, it was the same thing, everything looked and played better on Xbox, and it had a GPU that was ahead of it’s time when it was released. There wasnt a chip on PC in 2005 that had unified shaders yet, that didnt get released until end of 2005 early 2006. Games looked amazing on 360 because it was ahead of the curve.

Now MS choose to deviate from the basis their brand was based on, and you act like it’s surprising people care about that?

#23 12 months ago
  24. polygem

to me this has nothing to do with graphics. x1 games will look fine. it’s about the actual games and services. ms just seems to focus too much on things i don’t care about. making a halo tv series – i hate the idea, bundle fifa with the console – never play sports games, focus on tv services – not even available in europe and i don’t watch tv at all anyway, forced kinect+prism+drm -that just wasn’t sexy or was it? the design of the console itself seems to be bulky on purpose (screams, please buy slim again next year) and so on. sony just seems to be better value for me next gen. the ps+ deals and focus on indies + better pricing of the console, an interesting looking, tempting new controller. it just looks like the much better deal to me. it really is that simple. i don’t follow a brand i go to where i think my gaming time will be the most enjoyable.
    i don’t care about grafx comparison and pixelcounting though.

#24 12 months ago
  25. DSB

I’m sure we all make our picks based on different values. Exclusives are cute, but most of what I play is multiplats anyway, and graphics are pretty to look at, but I don’t really care about counting pixels. I’m more interested in the complete package. The features around the console, media center etc. And then I’m asking myself who is less likely to fuck it up.

Last gen I felt like it was going Microsofts way, this gen I feel like it’s leaning towards Sony at the moment. Microsofts cloud gamble strikes me as a lot riskier than motion controls ever were for the Wii.

Either way I’m not in any kind of rush to go with one or the other, I don’t think I’ll miss much by waiting a year.

#25 12 months ago
  26. polygem

@27: sure, waiting a year or even a year and a half is the best option. by then the situation (including steambox) will be much clearer.
    not so sure if i can be that patient though :)

#26 12 months ago
  27. fearmonkey

If resolution and graphics don’t matter to you, then I would think the Wii-u is the best option this Christmas. $200 cheaper than an Xbone, $100 cheaper than a PS4, and has great exclusives and games and more coming.

J Allard’s reason why the PS2 won over the original Xbox.

On PS2 Vs Xbox – “Hitting the market 20 months late was disastrous, we had no brand, we didn’t have a team and we’d never shipped a single console before and they had already sold 12.5 million units before we even put one on a shelf somewhere. It’s a bad way to start and we knew we were only going to get as far we could this generation. But next generation? We’ve got all that experience, we’ve got the team, we’ve got the franchise, we’ve got the brand and a plan to really go for the gold this time.

#27 12 months ago
  28. Gekidami

“and has great exclusives and games and more coming.”
    The problem is this isnt true.

#28 12 months ago
  29. polygem

@31: “Seriously, why not get a Wii-u if graphics don’t matter, of all the systems this Holiday season, it will have the best exclusives and most games and it’s cheaper.”

+ a mofo’n 1!

#29 12 months ago
  30. G1GAHURTZ

Seriously, why not get a Wii-u if graphics don’t matter…

Maybe people want an online community that actually exists.

#30 12 months ago
  31. polygem

@32:

#31 12 months ago
  32. polygem

@34: huh? last time i checked miiverse was good fun.

#32 12 months ago
  33. sebastien rivas

ok guys performances, polygon look and features ARE everything or we would all go back to Pong.

Pong anyone? or better playing chess with a massive punch card computer the size of fort Knox, anyone?

Beautifying a game is everything as long as density is improved across a whole screen not just some parts of it or having to cut this and that to make the whole fit on screen for the sake of smoothness or screen resolution.
    Game is somewhat a race to realism.
    And no I so not want WiiU, I had enough with Wii, yet, I may not say no to next Nintendo gen so who knows…. all I can say is that I need some time off Nintendo for now. Not convinced by either big giants too so total I’ll spend money on games this December and maybe will start saving perhaps for a Steamboxmachine or however you want to call it.

#33 12 months ago
  34. G1GAHURTZ

@37:

I’m very sure that Miiverse is bags and bags of fun if you like that sort of stuff.

I’m not sure it’s a substitute for AAA online games, though…

#34 12 months ago
  35. G1GAHURTZ

There’s a huge difference between

‘outdated, old visuals vs cutting edge visuals’

and

‘cutting edge visuals vs ever so slightly sharper (if you squint) cutting edge visuals’

#35 12 months ago
  36. Nephilimator

@35 Better GRAFIX and better games for $100.00 less.

2010: https://www.metacritic.com/feature/best-video-games-of-2010
    2011: https://www.metacritic.com/feature/best-video-games-of-2011
    2012: https://www.metacritic.com/feature/best-video-games-of-2012

Sony has taken the cake since metacritic has been doing their best of year awards. So of course most people with an IQ over 70 will pick better GRAFIX, better hardware, better software, better exclusives, focused on games not cable tv, better framerate (thanks Gekidami) and 100 dollars less.

{insert random hi-res GIF}

#36 12 months ago
  37. Gekidami

One also offers a more solid frame rate.

#37 12 months ago
  38. polygem

source: absolutezero

good opinion video

#38 12 months ago
  39. Nephilimator

@45 VGChartz? LMFAO.

Ok let’s reference VGC:

PS3: 80.3 Million
    X360: 78.7

Win.

Halo 4: 8.42m vs Gran Turismo 5: 10.54m

Care to name ANY MS exclusive game that can outsell Gran Turismo? *crickets chirping*

Win.

Fail more.

{insert random epic fail GIF}

#39 12 months ago
  40. Nephilimator

@44 He is on the right track but he is not even techy enough to realize that the cloud offers nothing in terms of improving the rendering possibility of Xbone. There is no hidden potential of the cloud that will assist the Xbone unless the cloud will eventually take over all processing and the Xbone will be a dumb terminal that just displays screens like Onlive.

#40 12 months ago
  41. Nephilimator

@48 KA is packed with every POS sold, not relevant. A FPS squeaked out 1 million more copies then a RACING game, thats something to be proud of.

You’re all the same. First you try to make an argument that graphics mean nothing, then you come back in with something even more meaningless such as sales, on top of it qouting numbers from a site as shit at VGC. Welp GT sold 68 million over lifetime I guess in your book thats another win. Kind of crazy that a game that only sold 6 million copies won GOTY last year if your new logic just for this post is that sales = quality.

Now that you have been slammed on both GRAPHIX and sales, any other meaningless arguments douche? There is literally no logical reason to purchase an XBONE unless you enjoy Forza enough to justify an entire console. I’m sure if you shake that head a bit more some more rocks will fall out.

{insert glorious victory GIF}

#41 12 months ago
  42. Nephilimator

I’m not buying next gen consoles at launch, again you’re irrelvant as usual. When I do purchase in 2014 Sony will have about a 5 million+ lead in sales and exclusives that involve more content then guns that shoot purple lasers. It will be the primary console for 3rd parties to program towards then just downgrade res and details for the Xbone. Win Win for me. Enjoy dancing around in front of that camera singing into a hairbrush like a school girl.

{insert random “you got pwned” GIF}

#42 12 months ago
  43. Nephilimator

@53 Again no relevance to me as I am not purchasing at launch. #tryhard

{insert random pwned x3 GIF}

#43 12 months ago
  44. DreadSabot

The battle lines are drawn as of launch I got bot systems paid up and for me the PS4 is my shooter shooter system with some good old 2d to boot and will provide fun for a while. Killzonem COD, BF4 and a little Need for Speed.

But my X1 is my Entertainment hub and KI, DR3, MADDEN, Crimson Dragon, RYSE, Forza 5 will mean too many choices for a gamer to ball on.

Man its good to have options.

Remember when shooters was all teh 360 did? Role reversal for now yup!

Assassins creed with fill the gaps before Titan fall and 1886 shooter and then finally Second Sons. GAMES BABEEEEE!

#44 12 months ago