Yoshida: PS4 day one update can be downloaded in the background, no custom wallpaper options

Monday, 28th October 2013 14:55 GMT By Sherif Saed

In another round of Twitter confirmations, courtesy of Sony Worldwide Studios’ boss Shuhei Yoshida, comes information about update 1.50 for PlayStation 4, otherwise known as the ‘day one update.’ He also touches on the user’s ability to set custom wallpapers for their XMB background.

Yoshida was answering fan questions as usual on his Twitter feed, and answered one fan who was asking whether or not they would be able to download the day one update in the background while playing. Yoshida answered ”yes”, confirming the ability. This should come as good news to those of us with that are anxious to play the launch games as soon as we get our hands on the system.

Another fan asked if it was possible to set custom user wallpapers for the XMB background, to which he replied ”no”, though he did confirm that you can import your photo from Facebook for use as an avatar.

PlayStation 4 launches November 15 in North America, and November 29 in Europe.

1. Eregol

Can use a facebook profile pic as an avatar. I guess that solves the problem of people possibly using penises as their profile pictures.

#1 12 months ago
  2. Hirmetrium

Oh god, what a horrible decision. That was one of the most loved things about my PS3, and now its gone, only to charge me £5 a pop for premium themes?

I swear this world gets crazier and crazier…

#2 12 months ago
  3. Sherif Saed

I use a penis picture for all my online profiles. #thug_life

#3 12 months ago
  4. VibraniumSpork

Fair enough I guess…I was using this as a theme for the longest time: http://www.ps3-themes.com/misc/cocaine.html

Just hope there’s some snazzy official themes coming down the pipeline…and that they don’t cost the earth.

@3 http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/hSbE0.gif :D

#4 12 months ago
  5. monkeygourmet

Puts gold foil hat on:

“Day 1 update to remove the DRM they had in place but said they didn’t because they saw the backlash MS got.”

Removes gold foil hat.

#5 12 months ago
  6. Playmaker

of course Yoshi wants to remove that DRM on the system before anyone finds out!

#6 12 months ago
  7. Eregol

@5 I know that’s a joke, but I thought the same thing for about 30 seconds.
    If they did that then it would be revealed to the world that they lied about DRM on their machine, and it’d screw over those who cannot DL the Day One patch. So it’s not something they could afford to do.

#7 12 months ago
  8. Dragon

@7,
    Shu categorically confirmed that launch games (I assume retail only) can be played without day one update.

#8 12 months ago
  9. TheBlackHole

@5 @7

I would explain why they don’t have basic things functioning without the patch, like blu-ray playback.

#9 12 months ago
  10. VibraniumSpork

@9 Someone else gave a reasonable explanation for this the other day (Ireland Michael or Legendary Boss maybe?); apparently it’s because each console is region free but the Blu-Ray/DVD playback can’t be, not without costing Sony a ton of money. The update locates where your PS4 is in the world and gives the video playback the appropriate region-coding accordingly. Still sucks, but it kinda makes sense.

#10 12 months ago
  11. KineticCalvaria

No custom wallpaper?!?!!! Goddamn it Sony!

#11 12 months ago
  12. Phoenixblight

Ha, No. THey detailed the patch where if what MG had said were true they would be dealing with a bigger shit storm than MS and their initial of Xbox One.

#12 12 months ago
  13. DuckOfDestiny

I’ll just wait for the custom firmware that will allow custom these and desktop backgrounds. No need to be giving Sony even more money.

#13 12 months ago
  14. fearmonkey

Hopefully they fix this with a later update, we should be allowed to customize our dashboard on our consoles.

#14 12 months ago
  15. RussellGorall

Sony has been doing a terrible job of customer relations with non-Sony fanboys. They released the info on their official blog on Friday and haven’t answered a single question.

#15 12 months ago
  16. Kane

Update can be downloaded in the background.. Meanwhile whilst it is downloading. The game you purchased on Disc is unusuable till its downloaded and installed. Interesting that.

#16 12 months ago
  17. pcbros

I’m confused. I keep hearing that the day one patch “secretly” removes the DRM requirements, proving that Sony had planned the same thing all along but removed it after Microsoft received the backlash.

Has this been confirmed true or false?

#17 12 months ago
  18. DreadSabot

This is not an issue to me but I do have to laugh all the the gits who claimed they dont have access to the internet for a day one patch so screw MSFT. LOL clowns. Now if you still dont have access day one then I guess you wont be playing Bluray on the PS4 either huh buddies? LOL

Seriously in this day and age anyone ponying up 400- 500 for a new console should have some access to the internet I would hope.

#18 12 months ago
  19. pcbros

Day one patch = “We ran out of time.”

My SNES didn’t require a day one patch :)

#19 12 months ago
  20. DrDamn

They wouldn’t be able to hide it. It still plays games out the box so it’s not mandatory to play games. I saw a techusa video on YouTube which claimed this. It was laughable. Apparently Watchdogs and The Crew are both delayed as the next gen networks have too many issues too – let’s just ignore the fact the majority of sales are going to be on 360, PS3 and PC for that rumour. The best one was that CoD is 720p on X1 and PS4 because of the network issues too … I mean how does that even make sense?

#20 12 months ago
  21. pcbros

@20 – CoD:G was confirmed 1080p on PS4, so TechUSA already has one strike…

#21 12 months ago
  22. CrazyDave

@17: More news on the Sony DRM here:

#22 12 months ago
  23. CrazyDave

I guess its only 720p because of the networks getting changed

#23 12 months ago
  24. CrazyDave

Lol gotta admit, after all the backlash the PS4 controller does look funny

#24 12 months ago
  25. Phoenixblight

Yes because Youtube videos are true all the time. Its apparent what you are doing. Trying to get views up for your videos.

#25 12 months ago
  26. dontbescaredhomie92

I think when it comes to the resolution the most realistic answer would be that these are completely new consoles and developers are still getting used to the architecture, clearly if the rumours are true the PS4 is the easier one to develop for and after the difficulty with the PS3 it’s obvious Sony would invest a lot of time and energy into over coming this issue.

#26 12 months ago
  27. schnide

I have never seen so many stupid comments in such a short thread before, and that’s saying something.

#27 12 months ago