Xbox One: expensive trailer kicks off Microsoft’s launch campaign, watch here

Friday, 25th October 2013 12:00 GMT By Dave Cook

Xbox One is out November 22 in several territories, and Microsoft has launched its marketing blitz with an expensive trailer starring Steven Gerrard, Zachary Quinto and such games as Titanfall, Dead Rising 3, Forza 5 and FIFA 14.

It follows a report by The Guardian that suggests Microsoft will spend around $100 million on marketing Xbox One. It’s a record for the Xbox brand.

What do you think of the clip above?

Meanwhile, the Xbox One manual’s quick-start guide has leaked. See it here.

Via Eurogamer.

1. Panthro

Where does Trek fit into this?

Just referring to movies I guess?

I don’t want another movie based Trek game :’(

EDIT – NVM watched the video end.

#1 9 months ago
  2. fengato

Really well done – slick, yet still gets the necessary game info into the ad.

#2 9 months ago
  3. Erthazus

For f sake. You can clearly see who has more money.

MS commercial was holy cow… ST stars, Titanfall robot CGI, oh yeah.

“Where does Trek fit into this?”

You can watch Star Trek on your Xbox One :D Lawl.

#3 9 months ago
  4. Panthro

I know I noticed that once the girl was at her Xbox.

Seemed like a massive waste of money really, everybody should already know you can watch movies on your Xbox.

And when the soldiers where marching through the streets I thought he was going to cut that guys head off. THAT would be a good commercial.

#4 9 months ago
  5. _LarZen_

Now that is a system seller commercial.

#5 9 months ago
  6. Moonwalker1982

You just can’t hate on this. This was very well done and that Titanfall mech was awesome.

#6 9 months ago
  7. DrDamn

Very slick, very well done. Good ad.

#7 9 months ago
  8. VibraniumSpork

“Titanfall not available until Spring 2014″ – blink and you’ll miss it :D

Otherwise, looking good.

#8 9 months ago
  9. Darkfield

@4 Well Microsoft does great marketing and great marketing comes at a huge price.

PS: It’s GwynbleiddiuM, changed my display name.

#9 9 months ago
  10. Panthro

@10 I just mean the whole Trek thing…

Other than that, good ad.

#10 9 months ago
  11. tenthousandgothsonacid

(*) Most games run at 720p

#11 9 months ago
  12. VibraniumSpork

Kinda on-topic, but I’d love to see what happens to pre-orders/enquiries regarding both PS4 and XB1 once their respective Marketing machines get into full swing.

I’d say that even up to now it’s been fanboys and frequent gamers who have been driving the pre-sales stats; be interesting to see how the landscape changes once Joe Public gets brought into the equation.

#12 9 months ago
  13. laughing-gravy

The gameplay footage of Titanfall was from the PC version, false advertising?

#13 9 months ago
  14. Xbone

Looks good, tho its a shame they did not use xbox excl games.

And you know… if you have a crap product, at least have an expensive marketing campaign.

#14 9 months ago
  15. Panthro

They used Ryse ^

And Titanfall is exclusive to the Xbox console too, Its on PC as well but that means nothing when it comes to console vs console exclusivity.

And so is Forza…

And Dead Rising 3…

#15 9 months ago
  16. FuntimeBen

Very cool ad and no more outrageous than the greatness awaits campaign. As much as I dislike Microsoft of late, this is a very compelling commercial.

#16 9 months ago
  17. Javinator

Actually Xbox one OS footage shown as well as gameplay, something that Sony has not shown in their Commercials.
    I guess they’re scared how the public will react when the footage they show comes from Knack and 180 8-bit indie games

#17 9 months ago
  18. Javinator

By the way all those 180 indie games I could play on my PC on Steam. Oops, there goes 99% of Sony’s games…

#18 9 months ago
  19. Panthro

As usual, Javinator making a tit of himself ^

_____________________

I just don’t get the mentality of these people, how come they are so OK with making themselves look like pricks? because that’s all they really achieve.

#19 9 months ago
  20. Moonwalker1982

In due time PS4 will get some very cool looking exclusives, but surprisingly enough their launch line up is very disappointing. The only real looker is Killzone and as much as i liked Killzone 3, this one isn’t doing it for me. But if we look at Xbox One, damn…some very interesting games at launch for damn sure.

#20 9 months ago
  21. bradk825

This trailer was actually pretty awesome. I liked it better than the “Soldier in all of us” one.

#21 9 months ago
  22. DarkElfa

Quinto’s eyebrows looked awful.

#22 9 months ago
  23. TrickyAudio

It’s very Microsoft

#23 9 months ago
  24. zoopdeloop

@18 i totally understand.Forza and Halo franchises aside pretty much everything else “exclusive” on Xbox can be played on my PC

back to the subject
    you have to give it to them.Microsoft sometimes know how to make really good commercials and although it screams American philistine as always (Where’s Bieber?),it’s a good commercial

#24 9 months ago
  25. G1GAHURTZ

That looks hype!

#25 9 months ago
  26. schnide

Javinator – those 8-bit indie games.. Aside from the fact you know they’re not 8-bit, so you’re trash talking instead of being remotely factual, could you tell us why Microsoft scrambled together an indie programme in the last few months if the indie scene won’t be bringing us interesting and original titles that the big publishers won’t?

Or are you only capable of slanting everything you say in a pro-MS stance because you’ve put your stake in the Xbox brand and don’t want to be left out?

You remind me of the religious fanatics who say we’re all going to hell if we don’t believe too.. when really they’re just afraid to admit that what they believe is complete and utter nonsense.

#26 9 months ago
  27. Cobra951

It also shows me the size room I need to buy to make it all work. So, $500 for the system, $50,000 for room expansion. I’m there!

#27 9 months ago
  28. laughing-gravy

@27 Don’t feed the troll!

#28 9 months ago
  29. laughing-gravy

Is the Steven Gerrard bit supposed to emphasize their TV services or something? Because we don’t get them here in the UK at launch. So it’s not quite all in one.

#29 9 months ago
  30. Beta

Microsoft always have expensive, aggressive marketing campaigns.

Even so, I’m picking up a PS4 first. I’ll get the X-ONE eventually but I can’t justify nearly £800 on consoles right now.

#30 9 months ago
  31. bradk825

@25 ashamed as I am to admit it, Bieber is Canadian.

We keep trying to kick him out to the US and he keeps coming back.

#31 9 months ago
  32. bradk825

@30 You will get that eventually though. Titanfall isn’t a launch title but it’s in the commercial. And the TV passthrough is available at launch.

#32 9 months ago
  33. DrDamn

FIFA surely?

#33 9 months ago
  34. Panthro

Well, the kid goes back home and watches a Football game so I think its talking about watching live Football

#34 9 months ago
  35. tezzer1985

You guys argue about crap sometimes in the comments, looool

Any way, great ad

#35 9 months ago
  36. mal617

Sick ass Ad.

#36 9 months ago
  37. ddtd

Great ad, but I love that Lou Reed Perfect Day PS4 ad.

#37 9 months ago
  38. Major Mayhem 70

Love the ad. Smart marketing that quickly shows some of what the console does. It also shows…. Wait for it, waaaait for it… It also shows that it still plays games. Who knewwww?!?

#38 9 months ago
  39. Joe Musashi

Fighting over PR? Same old same old.

JM

#39 9 months ago
  40. VibraniumSpork

@41 Agreed.

#40 9 months ago
  41. laughing-gravy

@33 Eventually! So basically UK gamers will be footing the bill for American TV viewing habits until they deem us worthy to have it as well.

#41 9 months ago
  42. bradk825

I wish shit like this happened at my office. Not once has a Titan jumped in and invited me to come blow shit up.

#42 9 months ago
  43. bradk825

@43 how exactly are you footing the bill? XBL membership fees are not increasing when they add extra features. You are not paying anything extra.

Fucking humans. Clean drinking water falls out of the sky absolutely free and we complain about getting wet. Have to whine about something.

#43 9 months ago
  44. laughing-gravy

@45 Uk gamers are footing the bill every time they buy a game, that’s how! Plus the fact that extra functionality is behind a paywall.

#44 9 months ago
  45. VibraniumSpork

@45 “Clean drinking water falls out of the sky absolutely free and we complain about getting wet.” – http://img.pandawhale.com/55927-Damn-good-stuff-sir-gif-rXD4.gif ;)

#45 9 months ago
  46. DreadSabot

Not sure of the last time an ad made me smile – this was a good one.

Something about the titan robot reminded me of the Original Xbox tech demo – does anyone remember this?

#46 9 months ago
  47. Javinator

Can’t wait to see the Xbox kiosk next to the PS4 kiosk. The Xbox kiosk will have Forza3, KI, Dead Rising, and the PS4 will have 8-bit, 1980′s styled indie games!
    Sony didn’t have the cash to get the big AAA games so they went to the free indie community begging for help. Of course they have no cash, as the Wall Street Journal pointed out, Sony is valued as “junk” in the market, just like their products.

#47 9 months ago
  48. Javinator

I meant “Forza 5″ up above, but then again Forza3 will look a gazillion times better than those eight bit indie games on the ps4 lol

#48 9 months ago
  49. kingy

I hate to say it but it makes me want a xbone now and not wait for a price cut :-(

#49 9 months ago
  50. bradk825

@46 lol I will think of you when I am watching TV then, since clearly your games are what paid for it.

#50 9 months ago
  51. M@nM@n

Everything shown in this trailer is EXCLUSIVE, NOOOOOOOO 3rd parties. Very nice trailer. X1 all the way, can’t wait.

#51 9 months ago
  52. Arcnail

Beyond the quality (money) of this, there are 2 things I like about it over the Sony one this week.

1) I didn’t have to turn it off because the music was annoying as hell.

2) Not a single mention of indie games. I would never put down money to play crap I can on my phone. As a bonus it’s fine, but don’t try and sell your system to me cause you have Minecraft or whatever.

#52 9 months ago
  53. zinc

Racist & sexist. Only white men game, whilst the little women watch films.

Poor show MS.

;)

#53 9 months ago
  54. fearmonkey

@53 – uh no….

Titanfall also on PC, Fifa also on PS4, Star trek is a movie that plays on anything with blu-ray or downloadable movies…

I loved the Titanfall part, and the zombie part was cute, the rest was meh. It’s one of the better commercials that MS has ever had though, so happy it’s not hipster kids and parents that wear gap clothes/old navy clothes again.

I still think the last greatness awaits commercial was better overall, but this was good and shows MS is changing their marketing style.
    I wish they would have skipped Quinto though, seems a lame addition.

#54 9 months ago
  55. Armitage Shanks

very nice!

#55 9 months ago
  56. bradk825

@56 I dont think FIFA is actually the content here, I think it’s the sports integration, because it flips to a match and then the guys gets skyped by his friend.

#56 9 months ago
  57. Hyperx64

Sony Releases Stupid Piece Of Shit That Doesn’t F**kin Work :P https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AyVh1_vWYQ

#57 9 months ago
  58. TheBlackHole

I didn’t like the Sony ad. Terrible music and uninspiring content.

This, however, was kick-fucking-ass. Great trailer. Hats off to their marketing department for that. Cracking work.

#58 9 months ago
  59. DSB

Hah, the Titan really makes it.

#59 9 months ago
  60. Maabren

Nice one, ad that is. Have to wait until testing and review give us more than a bone.

#60 9 months ago
  61. Lounds

Sony needs to have a weird qwerky ad like the 2000 era.

#61 9 months ago
  62. yeoung

@63:

If you ask me I’m pretty happy Sony has moved past the “baby crying in the dark” and “emo chick in black and white” motif. I think it might be nice to bring back whisper-lady if we’re gonna do throwbacks.

Don’t underestimate the power of Playstation

Loved that

#62 9 months ago
  63. polygem

i can deal with the standard team xbox machoman douchebags, i have a soft spot for nintendo, i owned several sony machines and still kind of plan buying a ps4 at launch but man…there’s nothing more annoying in videogaming than the sony fanboy.
    hands down. those guys win the cup.
    you can even see that by looking at the ign sony crew, it transcendents into journalism too..uhaaah….shivers.
    always leaves a bad taste, when i buy something sony gaming branded. i don’t want to be one of those creeps. always hope noone is seeing me when i buy a game for ps3.

#63 9 months ago
  64. pcbros

Best commercial for me so far. I really liked how they showed the Kinect UI experience.

Saying, “Xbox, invite _______ to party (or game).” Is much better than, stopping your game, going through your friends list, selecting him/her and selecting “invite to party (or game)”.

Every time a friend asked me to invite him to a game during the heat of battle I cringed. XB1 should solve that problem.

The UI looked silky smooth and modern. If their Kiosk shows off the Kinect UI and other features, they will be in good shape.

XB1 might not be the most powerful console but they get my vote for the most advanced console.

@65 – I hear ya! ;)

Every time I picture a PS fanboy, I picture the scene in Spider-Man 3 where Peter Parker (Toby McGuire) gets infected and tries to be cool. A nerd trying to be cool but coming off as a jerk.

Although, when I picture a Xbox fanboy, I picture a 10-year old playing COD screaming how he’s the best.

When I picture a Nintendo fanboy, I picture an adult who still believes in Santa.

#64 9 months ago
  65. Professor Zoom

Go Home Gaystation 4 you SUCK!!! :D

#65 9 months ago
  66. polygem

@66: what do you mean by saying…”believes” in santa? nothing to believe here. he exists and that’s a fact.

#66 9 months ago
  67. zinc

@67, The noble art of reinforcing sterotypes is alive & well I see.

#67 9 months ago
  68. nollie4545

As I said before, the console war will come down to marketing alone. Not what console has the better hardware.

You have to admit, with the kinect sensor now watching you and listening to you, allowing you to talk to it and activate and move stuff with mere hard gestures, that is gonna have everyone from 6 year olds to 60 year olds intrigued. It is going to sell like hot cakes regardless of what games are on offer.

Now all of MSs little moves have made total sense. Buy and integrate skype into the Xbox Live experience, add kinect, then they will make it so you can operate your console and XBL from your Windows phone etc, its all happening. They will have a complete offer in the mould of apple.

#68 9 months ago