Microsoft Q1: Xbox 360 sales down, Xbox Live revenue up

Thursday, 24th October 2013 23:06 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Microsoft’s Devices and Consumer Hardware segment had a strong first quarter, but its performance was, for once, not due to the success of Xbox 360 hardware sales – although Xbox Live is minting it.

The platform holder noted a 37% year-on-year upswing in the Devices and Consumer Hardware segment, but it was sales of the Surface tablet family that spurred the rise, with $400 million in revenue.

As for the Xbox 360, it shifted 1.2 million units – a 29% decrease year-on-year, which is unsurprising given the launch of the Xbox One next month.

The Devices and Consumer Other segment, which includes first-party games and Xbox Live, did have a strong quarter, noting a year-on-year sales increase of 17% to $1.64 billion.

Xbox Live transactions were up 25% year-on-year, but Microsoft noted other revenue increases, notably thanks to Bing and Office 365 Home Premium.

Overall, Microsoft noted $18.53 billion in revenue, up 16% year-on-year.

1. Crapgamer

Overall as a company Microsoft posted record setting profits though. http://www.microsoft.com/investor/EarningsAndFinancials/Earnings/PressReleaseAndWebcast/FY14/Q1/default.aspx

The Xbox One will likely increase these profits even more so. Xbox Live is the best online service on any console, so it makes sense that it continues to grow, along with revenue from items on Xbox Live.

#1 9 months ago
  2. Panthro

‘Xbox Live is the best online service on any console’

Such an achievement with its ONE competitor: PSN.

Well done Xbox Live. *Slowly claps

BTW, what makes it so much better? I have both and I don’t see how either has a leg up on the other, they are both pretty lukewarm if you ask me.

#2 9 months ago
  3. Hcw87

At the start of the generation, Xbox Live was indeed superior, but after PSN+ they’re both equally good.

Next gen though, MS will once again start out better because of Dedicated servers for every game, Cloud computing etc, but there’s no telling if Sony won’t catch up like they did this gen.

#3 9 months ago
  4. Hyperx64

#2 @Panthro Xbox Live is excellently designed and incredibly stable gaming network. PSN is a shitload-of-fuck.

#4 9 months ago
  5. derpachu

Lol @2
    Have you been living under a rock

#5 9 months ago
  6. Panthro

Meh, I do agree with the PS+ having a massive advantage for the users who decide to pay for that.

But Ive never had any problems with PSN to do with the network other than the hacking mishap but that wasnt really sonys fault…

People make out like Xbox has a massive advantage over its network but I couldnt tell the difference when I used them, just sounds like people choosing sides really.

I game on PC now, but for the first 5 years of that console generation I used 360 for 2 years, give it away and then PS3 for 3 years.

Then I rebought an xbox for gears 3, and still saw no difference other than the how different the UIs are.

#6 9 months ago
  7. Major Mayhem 70

I use both services and I prefer XBL. It’s been leading the online charge since the original Xbox and continues to enhance the online experience. I agree that PSN has come a long way from the PS2 days but aside from the Plus game rentals I just don’t see where that service has taken the lead in online gaming innovation. My opinion of course. Let’s see what this next generation of online gaming has to offer. But so far I’d give XBL the lead when I look at each consoles online plans coming out the gate.

#7 9 months ago
  8. Javinator

#8 9 months ago
  9. pcbros

Did PSN even have party chat last generation? Could you even create a party? I remember when I owned a PS3, inviting friends to a game was a bit odd. Not sure if they changed anything since Uncharted 2.

#9 9 months ago
  10. PEYJ

Come to think of it, I don’t recall having seen the last two quarter playstation sales figures. Anybody who knows?

#10 9 months ago
  11. Ireland Michael

@9 Nope, still no party chat on PS3. Apparently its a memory issue.

Thank god they added it on PS4. It’s the *sole* reason I’ve stuck with the 360 for multiplayer gaming this gen.

#11 9 months ago
  12. Dragon

Operating income = $6.33 billion
    Net income = $5.24 billion

Cash and Cash Equivalents = over $80 billion

Stupendous performance by MS, again. And with all their divisions firing, the future only looks more brighter for them.

#12 9 months ago
  13. antraxsuicide

@14 +1

People don’t realize that it’s that very point that means MS can do their server farm, exclusive content, UI improvements, etc…

Money matters.

#13 9 months ago
  14. sebastien rivas

yep you all guys and gals are all right and I am really happy for MS to be profitable.
    If only for xbox live the console is already profitable regardless of xbox 360 pricing.

Although a remark from MS mentioning they want their xbox1 to be profitable asap leaves me a bad taste in my mouth but makes all sense in the world of tech hardware+features versus retail price.

MOOOOooooooo “graze the grass”

will live will see and I hope best

#14 9 months ago
  15. bradk825

360 sales are bound to be down with the next gen right around the corner. Most people thinking about buying a new console are bound to be thinking about getting the newest one.

#15 9 months ago