Battlefield 4 interview part 5: Frostbite and the Mirrors Edge reboot

Thursday, 24th October 2013 19:30 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

In part five, and the last installment of Sam Clay’s Battlefield 4 interview with executive producer Patrick Bach, the two men discuss Frostbite development and the Mirrors Edge reboot. Video inside.

The clip follows part four of Sam’s interview where Bach discussed bringing back dynamic destruction found in Bad Company 2 – only with a vengeance.

You can also re-watch parts one, two and three as well if you missed them.

Battlefield 4 is out October 29 in North America and then November 1 in the UK and Europe. PS4 and Xbox One editions will launch at the respective console launches.

1. Edo

He he thanks guys :) ,it doesn’t load up for me :( ok it works now :D .

#1 1 year ago
  2. SplatteredHouse

Come for the Mirror’s Edge – sit through the tech blabber. Meh. :/

#2 1 year ago
  3. Luciferous

@2 Same, I know it’ll be a long time, but damnit I am ready for more Mirror’s Edge! I hope they don’t change the gameplay too much – there is not better feeling that flawlessly pulling off an extended run.

#3 1 year ago
  4. SplatteredHouse

@3 From the title, I was anticipating something even just offering some hint towards the way that Frostbite 3 would be used in Mirrror’s Edge. Nothing near that in reality in this segment.

This is the only part of this video series I was interested in – Battlefield 3 was a game that someone bought me as a gift last year, I tried it for about a week or so, realised I far preferred Bad Company 2, from my console experience with it…Anyway, not that interested in Battlefield, as a thing to play on a regular basis, so I didn’t bother with the other bits. That Titanfall looks like a far better (more dynamic/fun) game – it reminds me seeing footage of it in motion, of Killzone – a very good thing :)
    Battlefield 4, it’s just another Battlefield, as well as holding the more dubious credit of being another franchise that may have swallowed its studio!

I just hope that the Producer of Mirror’s Edge is sufficiently assertive to be able to pull the studio around her project, when development advances to the point they need more hands on deck. I DO NOT want to see another Bureau, meaning “side-projects” allowed to grow like neglected weeds and basically through neglect permitted to end up far off the rails. (See Polygon’s article for backstory on that Bureau situation, if you like)

#4 1 year ago
  5. Lounds

Battlefield 4 beta was awesome on PC. Clearly people whining about it played it on Commodore 64… I mean PS360.

#5 1 year ago
  6. xxJPRACERxx

@5 Yes, bf4 beta/demo was awesome! After getting back to bf3 I really notice the difference. Can’t wait, only a couple of days left!

#6 1 year ago
  7. TheBlackHole

Was it really necessary to split the interview into five 3 minute segments? Would be much better to hear the whole thing in situ rather than having to come back everyday to… Oh, I see what you did there.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Lounds

@6 can’t wait I pre-orded mine through tesco then used a shit load of tesco vouchers to get it for £11.99 includes the china expansion as well XD

#8 1 year ago
  9. Lounds

Did anyone find it funny when he said he wouldn’t work for EA lol.

#9 1 year ago
  10. SplatteredHouse

He just stated he felt that he wasn’t qualified to run EA Games division (and/or perhaps that their styles might mismatch.) Considering the remit, I found it more of an honest assertion by him, than any sleight against their publisher.

#10 1 year ago
  11. tenthousandgothsonacid

I’ve watched all of these. I like Patrick’s jumper :)

Wtf is the picture on the wall to his left though ? Keep getting distracted by it.

#11 1 year ago
  12. AmiralPatate

Or they just prefer playing Battlefield for realsies.

#12 1 year ago