Star Citizen hits $23 million in funding, $25 million stretch goal announced

Saturday, 19th October 2013 14:50 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Star Citizen has now hit $23 million in funding, which has unlocked the Xi’an scout plane. According to Cloud Imperium’s Chris Roberts, the goal isn’t “simply to add an extra ship to the game,” but to add a new type of ship which can be expanded upon. “Once we’ve put the effort into building an alien experience for the Khartu, we can apply it to other Xi’an ships moving forward. Essentially, the extra funding lets us build an even more immersive universe,” he said. The next stretch goal is $25 million and upon being reached it will provide a larger alpha testing net with extra servers and worldwide infrastructure. This will also expand the number of remaining alpha slots. Thanks, Massively.

1. The_Red

Is it just me or has every single piece of Star Citizen news been about reaching XX million dollars over the last year?

Seriously, this game seems to be more about getting addtional million dollars in funding that space exploration.

#1 10 months ago
  2. DSB

Tall poppy syndrome engage.

Seriously, how could this possibly be a bad thing? Gamers are funding their first real AAA game. Or at least double-A.

If it’s a flop, then sure, bitch and moan as much as you please, but right now they’re gonna be spending a good while actually making the game, and the fact that there isn’t a lot to see probably has a lot to do with the fact that it’s gonna be a huge production.

They don’t have the luxury of keeping it secret until they have the goods, because they need to get the damn thing funded first.

Patience, children.

My biggest worry is that the budget will be too complex for them to manage properly. If you have a 25 million dollar production stall at 75% completion, it’s gonna be that much harder to fund for the last 25.

But if they don’t fuck up, I’d be kinda shocked if it was crap though. Chris Roberts may not have made anything worthwhile in a long time, but Freelancer and Wing Commander are the only two space “pilot” games that I ever gave half a fuck about, so I’d be surprised if this turned out to be a total miss.

#2 10 months ago
  3. TheWulf

I don’t see how #1 is attacking anyone. Are you sure you understand what ‘tall poppy syndrome’ means as a pejorative? I’m not insulting you, it’s a genuine question as many people use turns of phrase without knowing their exact meaning.

I feel that #1′s observations are fair as I’ve made them myself. This is bringing in so much money, yet all they’ve done with it thus far is shown us car commercials. If you look at almost every bit of Star Citizen media, it’s a car commercial. It’s an exercise in brilliant marketing, yes, but going by what I’ve just said I’m not convinced that it’s not vapourware.

I’ve also referred to it as ‘possibly the greatest con of all time’ if they decide that they can’t live up to expectations and release either a half-baked game, or no game at all. They’re not contractually obligated to release any kind of game, after all, and those going into this should have the common sense to understand that. (Though Kickstarter has shown that time and time again, many people don’t possess basic understanding.)

I think a very relevant maxim here is ‘like moths to a flame,’ which I believe is represented by #1′s post. It’s not at all unfair to say that they managed to raise $23m based entirely upon car commercials.

It’s just weird to see something get so much money when they’ve done very little to show that they genuinely merit the amount of money they’ve accrued. Which, once again, hints at the power of properly handled marketing. I don’t even get the ‘we’re humble and not quite sure where we’re going with this, so we’re making it up as we go along‘ vibe from it. The marketing does feel like a very corporate affair.

Honestly, I’ll be surprised if we see anything that’s not cosmetic walky stuff or a car commercial before 2016, if ever. We’ve not even seen any proper dev diaries yet (which Elite is already doing). Despite the lack of information though, we’re going to hear about this gaining another million every month up until 2016. Which, I believe, is #1′s point.

#3 10 months ago
  4. GwynbleiddiuM

@3 I have always suspected that you have blocked your ears tight and added special filters to your eyes that prevents you from processing the enlightening data that floats before you, now I’m certain of it.

courtesy of majinzane

Gameplay 1 – http://youtu.be/7vhRQPhL1YU?t=23m32s (Built by Robert’s and a small team as a prototype for the kickstarter, funded out of his own pocket)
    Gameplay 2 – http://vimeo.com/51128339 Prototype Game play from Kickstarter
    Gameplay 3 – http://vimeo.com/51125118 Prototype Game play from Kickstarter
    Gameplay 4 – http://vimeo.com/51125119 Prototype Game play from Kickstarter

#4 10 months ago
  5. DSB

@3 So the “problem” is that it’s just like 80% of most other Kickstarters. You weren’t looking at a project that is in full swing, but one that will be. Is that not clear?

I didn’t see people complaining about Double Fine or Obsidian funding games that they couldn’t actually show, because they didn’t exist at the time, and won’t for at least a year or so.

Double Fine actually managed to sell people half a game even though they advertised it as a whole one. The outrage wasn’t exactly deafening there.

I think they’ve done a pretty good job getting assets out quickly. You already have one functional component of the game in the hangar, and while that isn’t much, games actually take time to produce.

It’s mindboggling right? They don’t appear out of thin air, and usually when they’re hot off the press they’re pretty crap-looking. Is this not common knowledge?

@4 Dog goes whoof, cat goes meow, bird goes tweet and bitches go bitchbitchbitchbitch-bitch-b-bitch.

How dare they run a succesful funding campaign when everybody else is only pulling 500 grand for their indie platformers. Who do these guys think they are, with their fancy, attractive commercials. Sheesh.

They should make ugly ones. And dress the fuck down. No one needs to see their dapper sense of style.

Seriously…. Some people :P

#5 10 months ago
  6. AmiralPatate

I’m wondering now if thick air exists, and would something appear more easily out of thick air?

#6 10 months ago
  7. DSB

@6 That’s one for the ages right there. I read about a brutal stabbing in the newspaper the other day, and wondered what a gentle stabbing would look like.

Language <3

#7 10 months ago
  8. GwynbleiddiuM

@5 exactly, Torment didn’t show any gameplay either, yet people have funded it no questions asked. In the small world of TheWulf, you either exist to please his twisted desires or you’re out there to annoy him.

#8 10 months ago
  9. fearmonkey

I think what is amazing about Star Citizen, is that it’s showing that people really want a good epic space simulator. EA owns the Wing Commander series and let it die, Freespace was forgotten by Volition and Interplay, it was recently sold so who knows.

There have only been a few space sim games released in the last 5 to 10 years, none of them were AAA, andnot made by a big studio. This is the guy behind Wing Commander, StarLancer, and FreeLancer, and fans of the genre are dying for a good game like this.

If Publishers like EA, Activision, and Ubisoft would have released a big epic game or two in the past, it’s possible the funding wouldn’t have been as big as it is.

I hope EA takes notice especially, as they could make a Wing Commander game, MS owns the rights to Freelancer name, someone new owns the rights to Freespace, and a dev could license Star Wars and make a new Xwing VS Tie Fighter, or something new in that series. (I’d love to see a Babylon 5 game, but that will never happen). Mass effect would also be a good world for a space sim.

It’s awesome to see so many people excited about Star Citizen, and my wish is that the bigger publishers and devs take notice and make one, instead of the same games over and over and over and over infinitum.

#9 10 months ago
  10. MrWaffles

I cringe when crowdfunded games get too big, but I trust these guys. Everything they’ve released so far looks amazing. Makes it hard to think how they could fuck it all up.

#10 10 months ago
  11. TheBlackHole

There’s a very straight forward, obvious reason they could fuck this all up…

They designed a $2m game, and bow have to make one ten times that size.

I don’t know how many of you are familiar with game design, but you can’t just bolt shit on indefinitely. Even between 5, 10 and 15 million, you would have to throw out your previous design and start again… UNLESS, and this is my fear, that they are simply adding content ad infinitum, without looking at the core design or with no consideration as to whether they fit within the scope of the project.

Also, where are they getting all this money from? They don’t advertise, they’re not prevalent on YouTube, they only made a small amount (comparatively) on kickstarter… I don’t get it.

#11 10 months ago
  12. screecwe

@11 Try doing a little research. It was NEVER a $2 million dollar game. It has always been a $21 million dollar game. The initial plan was to raise at least $2-$3 million to demonstrate interest to private investors he had lined up. The investors weren’t willing to risk investing unless he could show there was enough of a community there to buy this game.

#12 10 months ago
  13. selderane

@11 Like screecwe said, “Star Citizen” was always a $21 million game. They just needed $2 million to bring to private investors. Robert’s stated a long time ago that if they could raise what they have now they wouldn’t need those investors.

So now there will be no external pressure and Cloud Imperium Games can make the game they want.

As for your question about where they get their money, well, all of the major gaming news websites, like this very one, carry a story whenever the game raises another million. That’s great advertising right there. Also, fans of the game are buying a lot of ships. CIG also runs limited time deals on ship variants and such.

Actually, they’re very adept at enabling fans to support it through “micro” transactions. I say “micro” because $60 ain’t that. But the principle is the same.

I alone have invested over $500 in the game.

The word is out there for the people who might be interested.

#13 10 months ago
  14. archaven

Wow my god.. this game keep growing in funding? Will it reach 100M? Yeah make it happen!

#14 10 months ago
  15. Tannhauser

@TheBlackhole
    Star Citizen was always designed and planned as big budget production! All the content you see revealed now was planned one or two years in advance. The initial pledge goal of 2 million Dollars was just to attract investors, who would have increased the budget to 14 million Dollars. The plan was to expand the game as they go, but with the success of their crowdfunding campaign they can add much more content (but not necessarily every stretch goal) to the initial release – a scenario which they were prepared for as well.

And I can tell you, why the campaign is that successful: Some of us are old enough to remember the golden era of PC-gaming. We have grown up with games like Wing Commander, Starlancer, Strike Commander and Freelancer. We know that Chris Robers and his team have always delivered what they have promised – with exception of Freelancer, that was taken over by Microsoft. We have now doubt, that they will deliver again.

#15 10 months ago
  16. DSB

TheBlackHole still has a point though. It’s obviously a major operation, and there’s a lot of things that can go wrong.

I have no reason to think that they aren’t on top of it, but you’ve already seen Kickstarters run out of funds several times over. And this will obviously need to be managed even more meticulously. As much as I dislike publishers, some do take their responsibilities pretty seriously and serve a role in making sure projects are on time and on budget.

(and of course brutally butchering them when they’re not)

If Star Citizen runs out of steam towards the end it would be that much worse because due to the scale of the project, they’ll need so much more money to finish it.

That said, I’m not gonna scold them for it until it actually happens.

#16 9 months ago