Metal Gear Solid 5 can be played “on whatever you want, whenever you want,” says Kojima

Friday, 18th October 2013 15:47 GMT By Dave Owen

Metal Gear creator Hideo Kojima has made comments that allude heavily to Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain being a gameplay experience that will extend well beyond consoles. In typical fashion he wasn’t terribly specific, but he has in the past hinted at second-screen functionality.

In an interview with IGN Kojima said, “Metal Gear Solid 4 was a turning point: the engine, the multi-platform and online elements. Moving forward I wanted to have a Metal Gear Solid that you could play on whatever you wanted, and that’s how we created Peace Walker. Now we’re presenting something again that’s console-only, but that’s not actually true of Metal Gear Solid 5.

“Metal Gear Solid 5 will have many more elements that aren’t limited to one console. You’ll be able to play the game on whatever you want, whenever you want.”

This could refer to many things. Kojima has previously expressed interest in Kinect and SmartGlass for the Xbox One version of the game, which would allow players to create their own mission content and share it.

His comments could refer to something as simple as being able to the PS4 version on the Vita screen via remote play. This seems quite likely, but it probably a tad too conventional to be the only thing Kojima has up his sleeve. Hopefully we’ll find out more soon.

Source: CVG.

Thanks, Legendaryboss

1. monkeygourmet

Apart from Wii U. :)

Can someone please clear this up for me:

Is the game where Snake is sneaking around that army base in the dark / rain the same game as the E3 demo where he’s riding that horse in the desert?

Because one looked great, the other looked awful.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Erthazus

It’s the same game.

Army base was Ground Zeroes – prologue – semi-open world
    Riding in the horse is The Phantom Pain – the main game – open world

I think Monkey everything that was shown looked fantastic so far.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Dave Owen

If I’m not mistaken the army base was from Ground Zeroes, which is being released separately as a sort of prelude to MGS 5: The Phantom Pain. It’s supposed to play like a ‘traditional’ MGS to wean players onto the open world style of Phantom Pain.

I thought both looked great, but I’m an MGS fanboy.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Bomba Luigi

Cool, I can paly it on my SNES. Its about Time he gets a New Game.

#4 1 year ago
  5. monkeygourmet

@2 & 3

Thanks! :)

Awful was a bit harsh maybe, I just preferred the open desert level. Made me think of how I want Uncharted4 to play like, but with more comedy.

#5 1 year ago
  6. smoke.tetsu

Beyond the console… such as on Windows, Steam Machine, Mac and Linux? ;)

#6 1 year ago
  7. MarcoSnow

Looking forward to playing it on my Android phone. ;)

#7 1 year ago