Harebrained Schemes hasn’t stopped working on Shadowrun Returns since its release a few months back; the latest update will add Linux compatability and a swathe of preview features.
The as-yet undated patch 1.1 marks the release of the Linux version of both the Shadowrun Returns game client and editor. Once released, the Linux port will receive updates day-and-date with the Mac and PC version.
As detailed in a new blog post, it also brings about an opt-in beta for upcoming game features. Players are invited to participate and provide feedback via the RPG’s forums
The Linux version is included in this beta, if you’re keen, but for details of new content and updates, consult the following changelog:
- New UGC Goodies
- Physical Adepts: Chi abilities have been changed to provide passive benefits. They can be “activated” as before to get the full benefit. Physical Adepts now should be able to use Roundhouse Kick and Disarm while Killing Hands is active.
- Text & Numpad Input in Conversation: Want to setup a keycode-accessible safe? Or password protect a data terminal? Now you can with these versatile new conversation input options. We’re already having fun with this feature in the Berlin campaign and we’re sure you’ll come up with many great uses for it too.
- Light Scripts: We’ve seen a lot of clever tricks people are doing with triggers for lights. In order to make that a lot less painful (and even more powerful), we’ve introduced a small scripting language to control the fading and animation of light colors. That discotheque can now come alive like never before.
- Objectives UI Labels: These are on screen elements that allow you to give players feedback toward intra-scene goals. For example: “Bombs to defuse: 2 of 5”. We figured these might come in handy.
- Triggers for Items: We’ve added trigger events for when players use items. This actually winds up being super useful for making a lot of creative and reactive levels. We’ve got our own nefarious plots for this particular feature, but we’re curious what you guys can do with it.
- Visible Trigger Regions: You can make trigger regions visible in game now (with a color of your choice). Sometimes it’s easier to “Get to tha’ choppa’!” if you know where the heck to go. Now you can.
In addition to the features listed above, Harebrained is still working on future updates including improvements to the save game system.
Shadowrun Returns was one of the first major Kickstarter-funded games to be released.
Sometimes we include links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.