Final Fantasy 7 iOS and Android isn’t impossible, but it’s a space issue says Square

Monday, 14th October 2013 14:26 GMT By Dave Cook

Final Fantasy 7 could come to iOS and Android one day, but right now the game’s file size is making it somewhat difficult. Developer Square-Enix has suggested that it may have to wait “years” for a mobile port to become reality.

Speaking with Shacknews, series producer Takashi Tokita said on the matter, “Unfortunately, it’s not that it’s not impossible for us to develop Final Fantasy 7 for mobile. It’s that currently, space will be an issue. Phones won’t be able to contain the space it takes. It’s over a gigabyte. People are probably going to have to wait a few years.”

That’ll be all of the FMV then.

Square is currently working at bringing Final Fantasy 6 to iOS and Android this winter. Check out our first report on the release here.

Meanwhile, why not sate your Final Fantasy 7 love by checking out my interview with Final Fantasy 13 director Motomu Toriyama. In it, he told me about his time working on FF7 and his role to play in what happened to Aeris.

Would you play Final Fantasy 7 on mobile? Let us know below.

1. bitsnark

“Phones won’t be able to contain the space it takes. It’s over a gigabyte. People are probably going to have to wait a few years.”

What a strange argument to make when so many iOS/Android games soar right over 1GB in size.

#1 11 months ago
  2. foofly

I’ve got FF7 emulated on my android phone, my tablet and my Ouya. Size is not the issue.

#2 11 months ago
  3. Ireland Michael

Uh, what?

Infinity Blade 3 on my phone and tablet is currently sitting at 2.1GB, and there are numerous top selling games up on the App Store that are even higher than that.

How is this even remotely an issue?

#3 11 months ago
  4. Dave Cook

@3 I know, they’re dodging the question innit.

#4 11 months ago
  5. Panthro

I dont know much about porting software but come on, I got FFVII on steam and its only 1.5gb…

Who doesn’t have a phone that contains more than 8gb nowadays anyway…

They are just avoiding it, everyone knows in the back of there minds there hasn’t been a remaster because a full remake of 7,8 and 9 will probably be coming in the future, they will be massive cash cows for square and right now they need all the money they can get, they seem so tight these days.

#5 11 months ago
  6. Blackened Halo

lol that’s bullshit …even their (Square Enix’s)game Chaos Ring has size about 1 gb …facepalm

#6 11 months ago
  7. Strabo

Android at least allows Apps to be 5 GB big in the Play Store (and no size limit on what you actually install on the phone/tablet). So, not really the reason.

#7 11 months ago
  8. Pitts

I swear, sometimes I wonder if they have any idea at all what the mobile market is like outside of Japan.

Or perhaps they greatly enjoy appearing that way…

#8 11 months ago
  9. DaveWest

If I play it on iPhone first, then I switch to Android, is it possible to transfer game progress from iOS to Android?

#9 11 months ago