God of War: Ascension goes digital in October as Sony Santa Monica moves on to other projects

Saturday, 12th October 2013 17:03 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Sony Santa Monica has ceased working on God of War: Ascension and has moved on to other projects, such as The Order: 1886 for one. However, this is not entirely the end of content for Kratos, as the team’s community strategist Aaron Kaufman outlined today, also noting a digital release of the game on PSN later this month.

While the production of maps, weapons, armors, marks and other DLC for God of War: Ascension multiplayer will cease, Sony Santa Monica, the team will still support the game starting with the following incoming updates:

• Upcoming Balance Update – Currently working on balance improvements that will tune-up all the Allegiances. This balance update will release later this month. Rest assured, things like the Ares Olympus Armor -20 (PR) are being heavily diagnosed.
  • Dedicated Online Support – Team will be monitoring online 24/7 and any new major balance exploits discovered in the weeks or months ahead, will be assessed for fixing.
  • PSN Digital Release in October – This month, a digital download version of God of War: Ascension will be released on October 15 for North America, with other regions to follow soon after.
  • All DLC items will receive special pricing options upon digital version release in their region (NA pricing options released on October 22, 2013).
  • The God of War: Ascension Soundtrack will be made available as a free download for all on PSN for a limited time only.
  • Double XP Weekend returns October 18 to October 21 worldwide.

Once the God of War: Ascension digital download version lands on the PlayStation Store, all of the above content will be unleashed to players.

You can read up on this a bit more through the PS Blog.

1. CyberMarco

So God of War: Ascension confirmed for PS+ in 2014, if not earlier.

#1 11 months ago
  2. lexph3re

This was a really fun game. Played it on hard the first time and it was brutal if you play this before the other god of wars I feel like it better context Kratos power and development in gameplay. It’s in my yearly rotation

#2 11 months ago
  3. xino

Ascension was a piece of trash!

#3 10 months ago
  4. lexph3re

To eash his own. I rather enjoyed it as I said, looked great, played great and didn’t hold your hand. Besides most reviews knocked it only for the fact that it had the bros before hoes trophy and the elevator being to difficult. But, aside from that it had high praise.

#4 10 months ago
  5. Stoopid_Snot

I always considered myself as a massive GoW fan, I did enjoy GoW:A but looking at all the other GoW games, Ascension in my opinion (not talking about graphics but pure gameplay and story) was at the bottom of my list… From worst to best: Chains of Olympus, Ascension, Ghost of Sparta, 3, 1, 2. GoW games did took a path away from Greek mythology before in small doses, it didn’t hurt the series to much but seeing Ascension to do so more and more and even introducing self created enemies like the Juggernaut imho hurts the games roots, I presume most people will argue with me but that just my view.

#5 10 months ago
  6. derpachu

Disappointing The order will run at 800p and QTE based. I’m not a graphics whore but if it’s a qte based game at least make the graphics good

#6 10 months ago
  7. lexph3re

lol @7 what are you talking about? There is almost no information on the order 1866 yet and you are predicting 800p and QTE? You sure your not confused with Ryse that’s at 900p and QTE?

@5 nobody will argue your views. It’s how you feel, personally I like for a game to create their own mythos from anothers work. Remember you said it’s inspired by the greek pantheons but it doesn’t have to be exactly like the lore.

#7 10 months ago
  8. derpachu

@8 damn that fanboyism.
    I could care less about ruse, not sure why you mentioned it.
    It’s been floating around 800p 30fps on the PlayStation forums all day. So I’m not set on it being 800p with qte.

Just what I’ve been hearing. Again the Ryse comment, try not to take this too personal. Look how quick you were to react on it. Down fanboy! Down!

#8 10 months ago
  9. wildBoar

@8 he’s just projecting.. Because Ryse turned out to be a mess all other shiny next-gen titles have to be equally flawed and dissapointing otherwise he’ll have an existential crisis.

#9 10 months ago
  10. MadFingerz

On the hardest difficulty, Ascension is actually a good game. But if the question is, is it as good as the first games, well I do think some segments were on par with the very best of the series, like the whole Apollo statue one, it was really a memorable moment to see the statue get back together piece by piece. For me the game’s biggest flaws are the uninspired enemies and lacklustre bosses.

#10 10 months ago
  11. derpachu

Ryse*
    Whoops

#11 10 months ago
  12. derpachu

@10 holy fuck you guys act like I care for Ryse.

I just been on the PlayStation forums and that’s been the topic today.
    You act like I want it to be qte based.

Funny, if I thought it was a qte based game.. you assume I like Ryse.
    The imaginary persecution of Sony fanboys continue(insert crying Indian gif)💐💐💐

#12 10 months ago
  13. lexph3re

I actually was asking you a legit question. There was no “fanboyism” just because I asked. Why did I bring up Ryse? Because that’s the only next gen game CONFIRMED to be at 900p and have quick time events. Nothing about 1866 has been confirmed, so using what you hear in forums as proof towards a game that hasn’t been revealed is just stupid to be honest.

You calling someone a fanboy just because they challenge what you said is indeed childish.

#13 10 months ago
  14. derpachu

@14 felt very rude to question if I was talking about Ryse then starting by saying lol(lotsoflaughs)
    Again, yes it was stupid.

Rather saying I’m studip indirectly doesn’t show your maturity at a higher level neither.

Yes, sorry I thought it was running at 800p and a qte based game when I saw this on the forums I was reading. People sometimes believe sources without any truth behind them. Which I did. Then again, sorry that never happens.

#14 10 months ago
  15. lexph3re

I apologize if you felt I directly called you stupid, or indirectly. But, I wasn’t I should have said it wasn’t wise instead of stupid. That is my fault, I’m also not trying to sound smarter or more intelligent then you so if me laughing was condescending I apologize for that too.

#15 10 months ago