DICE: “We strongly want to get into Linux for a reason,” says Gustavsson

Saturday, 12th October 2013 21:11 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

DICE is interested in developing for Linux, and feels the OS need only one “killer” game for the platform to become mainstream.

Speaking with Polygon, DICE’s Lars Gustavsson said the team wants to get into Linux development “strongly”.

“It took Halo for the first Xbox to kick off and go crazy — usually, it takes one killer app or game and then people are more than willing [to adopt it] — it is not hard to get your hands on Linux, for example, it only takes one game that motivates you to go there,” he said.

“I think, even then, customers are getting more and more convenient, so you really need to convince them how can they marry it into their daily lives and make an integral part of their lives.”

Gustavsson is also of the opinion that Valve’s upcoming Linux-based OS and machines will help change the way games are consumed and will put indie game developers in a better position.

“Basically for different ways of accessing customers and giving them possibilities of play, I think it is super exciting,” he said. “The only thing I know is that from five or ten years from now gaming and especially how you consume it won’t look like it does today. I do think with streaming services and new input devices and so on, it wouldn’t surprise me if there is less need of hardware and more on demand gaming experience.”

“I think, hopefully, competition usually means a better experience for the customer. I think it is healthy with competition. It is truly welcomed, so that we can have better games in the future. I think that the possibilities are many and I think indies can build for Linux even though [the OS] doesn’t have enormous audience,” he said.

1. GwynbleiddiuM

I was wondering how EA Execs would feel about this (as they ruined their PC sales by going Origin exclusive) now that one of their top tier devs is showing interest on Steams new venture, curious.

#1 1 year ago
  2. DSB

Man, EAs CEO must be ordering a hitman as we speak.

I haven’t even bothered to learn the new guys name, so I’ll just call him “Ken Doll” or “Gibeauslayer” until he makes his first callous and stupid remark.

#2 1 year ago
  3. xxJPRACERxx

Origin may not be popular among some gamers but “ruined their PC sales” is a lot of exaggeration. I have Origin on my PC as well as all my friends and we have no problem with it.

#3 1 year ago
  4. GwynbleiddiuM

@3 Tell that to FIFA devs who completely thought it’d be a waste of time to bring the next-gen FIFA to PC and made up an uber-stupid excuse for it. I also have a few titles on Origin, BF3, ME2 and ME3, MoH and FIFA 13. So I know first hand what a BS Origin is.

#4 1 year ago
  5. CyberMarco

@3 I too have Origin on my PC and only have 2 games, well actually 1, BF3 which I didn’t even buy it directly from Origin but from a CD-key site and the other one is BF4 beta, so yeah so many games on that platform.

I wont be bothered to buy any 3rd-party game on Origin any day.

#5 1 year ago
  6. pcbros

Valve’s master plan is taking shape…

#6 1 year ago
  7. Diingo

#7 1 year ago
  8. Erthazus

STEAM MACHINES. BABY. It’s coming. Battlefield 5 – 4K, 100 FPS, Battlefront 3 – 4K, 100 fps.

going to laugh my ass off when consoles/Steam machines will have the same power as PC’s. Lawl

#8 1 year ago
  9. Talkar

Curious to see that in an article where the topic is competition is great, people seem hellbent on monopoly being the prime choice.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Juice_Man101

You’re going to laugh when a pc has the same power as a pc? lolwut

#10 1 year ago
  11. DSB

@1 You’re way off, man.

In FY 2010 (before the launch of Origin) EA made 867 million the PC. In FY 2011 (when Origin was launched) they made 847.

In FY 2012, they made 1.1 billion on the PC.

Even if they were selling less, they’re getting 100% of the profits instead of 70% of the profits.

#11 1 year ago
  12. ZarraN

Something most people seem to forgot here is that the last years the definition of what a personal computer (PC) has changed.

There is already signs that tablets sales will surpass PC sales in 2015 and there are many other device eating Windows market share.

OSX is Linux based.
    Android and iOS tablets are Linux based.
    Android and iOS smartphones are Linux based.
    Chrome OS is Linux based.
    SteamOS is Android based.
    PlayStation platforms are Linux based.
    TV based operating systems are Linux based.

But since Windows has dominated the personal computer market back in the days it has been really well supported by developers and still is.

This could change since Microsoft haven’t been able to to slow down the trend of people using personal computers that isn’t Windows based. At the same time Microsoft doesn’t seem to be interested in supporting Windows as a gaming platform.

DICE could potential build one game, that is playable on all Linux platforms one day. But all this hopefully be irrelevant when we get to cloud gaming.

@11 You are talking about revenue and not profits. The cost to build a PC game and have a working marketplace can actually be higher than what Sony and Microsft take of the revenue, since both help them promoting there games.
    The reason why EA probably invested in Origin was because Valve doesn’t have same kind of partnerships with publishers but still wants the same cuts for sales and they were likely to get back there investment by getting increased margins.

#12 1 year ago
  13. DSB

@13 Fat chance. The only thing you pay for to deliver a PC game today is bandwidth, which is dirt cheap.

To deliver a console game, you have trucks and printing plants, and Sony and Microsoft still take a cut, along with Gamestop. It’s vastly more expensive than running a random number generator, and maintaining an internet connection.

Depending on who you ask, a publisher would be lucky to see anywhere between 20-40% of the cut from a physical copy once everyone takes a slice. With a digital copy, they get 70%.

And that’s exactly why EA decided to create Origin.

#13 1 year ago
  14. CyberMarco

@8 Yeeeeeeeeeey! Can’t wait to give an arm and a leg for 4K @100FPS BABY!!

You are such a tool. -.-

#14 1 year ago
  15. KineticCalvaria

@10, ha exactly… That’s a dumb thing to say, even by Erthazus’ standards.

#15 1 year ago
  16. dcarnage

@13, OSX and IOS are Unix based.

#16 1 year ago
  17. RoyBrown

Did you just pull that shit out your ass?

You dead set got almost all of that list wrong.

OSX is based on Unix

Android is Unix-Like

IOS is based on Unix

SteamOS is not based on android at all.

It will effectively be it’s only flavour of Linux, many expecting it to be similar to Ubuntu.

DICE can never build a game that just works on all platforms with a single set of CODE. IOS games now require two different instruction sets if you code for the 64bit A7 CPU.

Mantle is a newly developed API Made by DICE, and they want to run with that, and they only make PC/console games, that’s their focus but they still need to work with various API’s and different consoles, I’m not even sure why you made this point in regards to build one game.

Cloud gaming is fucking decades away. Countries like Australia still rely on a copper network with a 20ms ping at it’s lowest. Meaning you would need to build entire infrastructures around the world.

#17 1 year ago
  18. Max Payne

@18 Mantle is made by AMD.

#18 1 year ago
  19. Panthro

You sir, are silly.

#19 1 year ago
  20. nollie4545

There will be no real gaming orientated OS unless all hardware makers and developers get on board and develop a universal set of APIs compatible with existing hardware. Windows isn’t ideal for gaming by any means but it has a very high degree of commonality which is what is required.

As much as I am keen to see games running at 4K and 10000 frames per second, the graphics hardware, display adapters and surrounding technology need to be match also. This steam box isn’t going to let you play games are insane PC destroying levels of fidelity on a plain widescreen TV.

#20 1 year ago
  21. Panthro

With the GTX 680 setup and above it will surpass what the PS4 and X1 will be pumping out…

And if not, Will be equal visually but in full 1080p 60 frames per second.

#21 1 year ago
  22. Darksider123

And I want everything EA out of it

#22 1 year ago
  23. nollie4545

Using a GTX 680 based machine to compare against the next gen consoles is not really a content, I personally think the 560/660ti type cards will be on a more equal footing. Nivida themselves already said that both consoles have about half the poke of the 680.

People buying into the next gen console war thinking they will be running Crysis 3 type games on Ultra are sadly mistaken. You can’t do that with a GPU worth about $200.

#23 1 year ago
  24. Ireland Michael

We should all just go back to 386 processors and 33mhz processors.

#24 1 year ago
  25. pcbros

@25 – DX or SX?

Either way, it runs Day of the Tentacle just fine.

#25 1 year ago
  26. nollie4545

Poor poor mike. His butthurts so much. How long have you been an EA employee, by the way?

#26 1 year ago
  27. Panthro

^ this guy has gets a serious rage boner over any news relating to EA.

#27 1 year ago
  28. nollie4545

Lol, the last thing I would rage about is any video game or developer or publisher my friend. On the contrary, I can’t stop having a good chuckle at EAs pet junkyard dogs.

#28 1 year ago
  29. Ireland Michael

@26 As long as it runs Monkey Island 1 and 2, I’m pretty much sorted.

@27 “butthurt”
    “must be employed by [insert company here]”

You are literally a walking stereotype, mate.

#29 1 year ago
  30. Hcw87

You’re just a random PC elitist/Graphics whore on the same level as Erthazus (or whatever he’s named), so the joke is all on you.

#30 1 year ago
  31. nollie4545

Firstly, I’m not your mate. Referring to someone in that way is the sort of thing a chav would do. You’re not a chav, are you?

Second, if I’m a PC elitist/graphics whore by your measure then clearly I’m more heavily invested personally in video gaming than you. Also it illustrates what a miserable little sod you are to be bitching about what platform someone chooses to play on and I am sorry your personal finances/intellect/crippled hands don’t allow you to play games on PCs.

#31 1 year ago
  32. Hcw87

”Second, if I’m a PC elitist/graphics whore by your measure then clearly I’m more heavily invested personally in video gaming than you.”

^…What? Make sense.

”I am sorry your personal finances/intellect/crippled hands don’t allow you to play games on PCs.”

^Said by every PC Elitist since the dawn of time.

nolife4545 indeed.

#32 1 year ago
  33. Ireland Michael

@32 Ell ooh ell. Wow,

Yeah, totally not a spoilt brat.

Its th people like yourself that give actual PC gamers a bad rep.

#33 1 year ago
  34. DonnaCabel11

First time i trusted an online job add and managed to make 90$ in 5 hours… Exit35com

#34 1 year ago