Steam Controller: Creative Assembly could make a controller configuration for Total War: Rome 2 “within half an hour, certainly within an hour”

Friday, 4th October 2013 18:39 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

The Creative Assembly was able to try out Valve’s Steam Controller and according to the developers, it could put out a controller configuration file together for Total War: Rome 2 “within half an hour, certainly within an hour.”

Speaking with PCgamesN, brand manager Rob Bartholomew said the team, after logging into Steam, scrolled over to Rome Total War 2, hit Go “just messed around with the default controls.”

“Now obviously, it’s just the standard Steam default control setting that applies to all new games that are booted up that don’t have developer customized control settings, so the trackpad on the right moved the mouse around, and the trackpad on the left moved the camera around in Battle and Campaign, and the triggers did left and right output,” he said.

“And that’s all that any user could do, but if we were designing the next Total War or looking at Rome 2 and wanting to release an official CA Rome 2 control config file, I reckon we could get something within half an hour, certainly within an hour.

“The whole team felt pretty good about that being the control mechanism, and then we could just release that online and guys can share that or customise or add to it or just scrap the whole thing and design their own control config for the controller.”

Bartholomew said the team would have to make “some concessions” to the controller in the game’s UI before its launch but users will have the same flexibility as keyboard and mouse “at least 99% of the time”.

It sounds rather interesting and you can read more on the team’s thoughts through the link.

1. yeoung

I like personalizing controller input. I was the kid in Street Fighter who always had to make some quick changes even before starting a new game. It’s still the very first thing I do with a new game, had on over to options, check to see if there’s a controller config option, and just go to town.

Inverting the Y axis, aiming/shooting L1/R1 instead of the triggers, playing footies with the d-pad rather than a thumbstick. The bigger the amount of options, the more pre-game fun, the more hyped I get for actually starting the game.

Definitely an interesting (looking) product.

#1 12 months ago
  2. Xbone

Customizing your keybind is always a good thing.

#2 12 months ago
  3. pcbros

@1 – Me too :) I always had to make sure L/H Punch & Kick were on the face buttons.

This is definitely a great feature.

#3 12 months ago
  4. Erthazus

Here you go. If that’s true then Steam controller won.

#4 12 months ago
  5. pcbros

Makes you wonder why most companies don’t allow you to customize your controller.

Can’t wait to hear more about the Steam Machine…

#5 12 months ago
  6. TheWulf

This is good.

As I said before, what makes me happiest about this isn’t that it’s Valve or anything of the sort (I use a 360 pad), but rather that it’s innovation. It’s making people think differently about things and reconsider what they’ve always been doing. Otherwise you get into this stagnant rut where nothing changes and nothing improves, and that can happen for years at a time. When was the last controller innovation?

Sometimes it’s a very good idea to reinvent the wheel, because the wheel becomes obfuscated an inefficient over time. Then it’s time for a new, better wheel, and that’s what invention is all about. Some pioneers love to prove this quite literally.

So I’m glad this is happening, and I hope it makes all pad manufacturers re-evaluate what they’ve accepted as given fact for over a decade now.

#6 12 months ago
  7. Osric

I would really appreciate every having a perfect predefined controller setup, but obviously any game not letting you customize your control (maybe you’re missing a finger or something) is a little wrong.

#7 12 months ago
  8. Llewelyn_MT

Why would you want to play a broken game anyway?

#8 12 months ago
  9. viralshag

So glad I was right about more people gaming on the PC with a pad. Funny one person who loves that idea now tried to call that BS not so long ago.

#9 12 months ago
  10. Dragon

^Who might that be? The one and only infamous PC retard? :D

#10 12 months ago
  11. monkeygourmet

@9 & especially 10

At least have the balls to directly attack him. Otherwise it’s just bitchy and weak.

Also @9 this isn’t really the same as gaming on PC with a 360 pad if RTS’s can be controlled easily.

#11 12 months ago
  12. Dragon

^You mad Wilson? You exactly aren’t naming either.
    Poor Wilson, still cant ignore others.

#12 12 months ago
  13. monkeygourmet

Yeah, I hate cowards.

I ‘named’ through number attachments as I couldn’t be arsed to write the names so:

Viralshag & especially Dragon246 if that makes you feel any better?

#13 12 months ago
  14. monkeygourmet

@Dragon

If I didn’t give you a mild bit of attention, you’d pretty much cease to exist on this forum… Is that what you want?

#14 12 months ago
  15. viralshag

Why should I name him? He knows who he is and so what if it’s a little bitchy? He’s quite capable of replying to it if he wishes and doesn’t need a protector.

And please explain how this is different? To me that pad looks a lot more like a controller than a keyboard. I never said it has to be a 360 pad, Steam innovated but they wouldn’t have done it if there wasn’t a need to and obviously to game on the PC in the living room, a pad will be needed for most.

#15 12 months ago
  16. Dragon

@Wilson,
    I LOL’d hard. Good one.
    I am not really interested in talking with banned people. Have a good day Wilson.
    That is, if you have the “balls” to ignore me. Otherwise you come as just bitchy and weak.

@Viral,
    +1000
    ” He’s quite capable of replying to it if he wishes and doesn’t need a protector. ”
    Yup. Wonder why anyone is protecting that guy?

#16 12 months ago
  17. monkeygourmet

@Viral

Because he may not even read it if his names not tagged. Not only will he not be able to reply, but he def won’t be able to think, ‘yeah, I was wrong on that one’ and potentially change his view.

The only purpose it serves are for people who dislike him getting a hard on. See @10 (Dragon246),it’s a perfect example.

As for the pad, (I can only assume here), but given that it’s supposed to work with RTS’s (article states), it can bridge the gap between keyboard and pad. Thats asolutly huge and integral to the Steam Machine working in the living room space IMO.

Keyboard & Mouse is better for FPS on PC’s. If you play with a 360 pad you’ll get merked pretty damn quick. If Valve has created a ‘pad’ that can even mildly compete with K & M FPS players, then they are onto a winner. I think that is what they are trying to achieve although the proof is in the pudding.

#17 12 months ago
  18. Joe Musashi

“The enemy of my enemy is my frend.”

JM

#18 12 months ago
  19. viralshag

I think you’re assuming again. The disadvantage for a pad user is there but it doesn’t make it impossible. There’s plenty of good players with a KB/M and there’s still plenty of bad ones. If you’re good with a pad you can still compete you just won’t hit top of the table often.

And we all know he won’t agree or change his view. So at most it would have been a comment lost to the internet but I can only assume you’re prolonging the comment so there will be some sort of conflict. He didn’t reply to me when I mentioned his name in the announcement article so I can assume the same would happen here but if he wants to discuss it that’s fine with me.

#19 12 months ago
  20. monkeygourmet

Did you eat some fortune cookies this morning?

#20 12 months ago
  21. Dragon

@18,
    Ha. Typical of guys like him.

@19,
    “So at most it would have been a comment lost to the internet but I can only assume you’re prolonging the comment so there will be some sort of conflict.”
    Was there any doubt about that being the only intention?

#21 12 months ago
  22. monkeygourmet

I must admit, I’m only going on people’s descriptions of playing a FPS (PC) online with a pad. I think this pad needs to be tried before casting too much judgement. A lot of devs gave favourable impressions, and anything that mixes things up and has a positive impact is to be encouraged, shirley?

As for Erth, yeah your right, he won’t change his view. Something tells me he views this product in a different way to a 360 pad though… You’d have to ask him if that’s the case though.

#22 12 months ago
  23. monkeygourmet

“I’m not really interested in talking with banned people”

Agrees with Shatner.

That lasted long.

#23 12 months ago
  24. monkeygourmet

… It’s not the same without LegendaryBoss’s popcorn.gif!

#24 12 months ago
  25. Joe Musashi

@18 You muppet. You can’t even spell “friend”. Loser.

JM

#25 12 months ago
  26. monkeygourmet

gets popcorn…

#26 12 months ago
  27. Lengendaryboss

@24/26
    LOL! You’re missing one :)

#27 12 months ago
  28. pcbros

I still think it’s cool you can configure the OwlPad.

#28 12 months ago