Monster Hunter 4 tops for third week on Media Create, lifetime sales hit 2.4 million

Wednesday, 2nd October 2013 14:45 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Monster Hunter 4 was once again the clear winner on the Media Create charts, with 213,078 units moved, bringing its current lifetime total to 2,402,077. Armored Core: Verdict Day debuted during the period and moved a total of 64,272 units on both PS3 and Xbox 360 combined, while The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD moved 30,264 units on Wii U during it’s three days on the market.

Full thing is below.

On the hardware end, the only systems to show growth over the prior week were PlayStation 3 (11,382), Vita (6,031) and Wii U (5,909), which moved an extra 85 units over the prior week.

3DS LL was still the top seller of the week, moving 93,757 units compared to last week’s 118,400 units. 3DS only fell by 501 units over the week prior.

Here’s the full software chart for September 23/29. Life-to-date sales are in parentheses:

1. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 (Capcom, 09/14/13) – 213,078 (2,402,077)
  2. [PSV] The Legend of Heroes: Sen no Kiseki (Falcom, 09/26/13) – 81,622 (New)
  3. [PS3] Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate (Tecmo Koei, 09/26/13) – 80,498 (New)
  4. [PS3] The Legend of Heroes: Sen no Kiseki (Falcom, 09/26/13) – 67,718 (New)
  5. [PS3] Armored Core: Verdict Day (From Software, 09/26/13) – 59,184 (New)
  6. [PS3] Oreimo Happy End (Namco Bandai, 09/26/13) – 31,054 (New)
  7. [Wii U] The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD (Nintendo, 09/26/13) – 30,264 (New)
  8. [PSV] Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate (Tecmo Koei, 09/26/13) – 25,483 (New)
  9. [3DS] Tomodachi Collection: New Life (Nintendo, 04/18/13) – 9,269 (1,450,520)
  10. [PS3] Battle Princess of Arcadias (NIS, 09/26/13) – 9,252 (New)
  11. [3DS] Yokai Watch (Level-5, 07/11/13) – 8,578 (187,825)
  12. [3DS] Disney Magic Castle: My Happy Life (Namco Bandai, 08/01/13) – 7,575 (278,559)
  13. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf (Nintendo, 11/08/12) – 7,431 (3,425,003)
  14. [3DS] Mario & Luigi: Dream Team (Nintendo, 07/18/13) – 7,361 (318,600)
  15. [PS3] Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn (Square Enix, 08/27/13) – 6,866 (216,156)
  16. [PSP] Starry Sky: After Winter Portable (Asgard, 09/26/13) – 6,074 (New)
  17. [PSP] Meiji Tokyo Renka (Broccoli, 09/26/13) – 5,963 (New)
  18. [3DS] Epic Mickey: The Power of Illusion (Spike Chunsoft, 09/26/13) – 5,569 (New)
  19. [360] Armored Core: Verdict Day (From Software, 09/26/13) – 5,088 (New)
  20. [3DS] Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon (Nintendo, 03/20/13) – 5,007 (906,547)

Here’s the full hardware chart for Week 39. Last week’s sales are in parentheses:

• 3DS LL – 93,757 (118,400)
  • 3DS – 40,487 (40,988)
  • PS3 – 11,382 (10,749)
  • PSV– 6,031 (5,155)
  • Wii U – 5,909 (5,824)
  • PSP – 4,805 (5,082)
  • Wii – 866 (965)
  • 360 – 511 (610)

Thanks, Gemtasu.

1. Dragon

@Clupula,
    I am waiting :D
    Vita version of LoH outsold PS3 one.

#1 12 months ago
  2. dreamcastnews

Woah! The Wii U didn’t even get a slight hardware bump from the usual trend. I thought there would have a least been a slight spike.

The machine really needed Mario Kart 8. Shame, it isn’t a bad machine really.

#2 12 months ago
  3. monkeygourmet

Yep!

Mario 3D World looks to be one of the best titles to be released this year, at least in the top 5. I don’t even think that will rouse it.

I imagine they are already working on another console using their war chest full of money.

#3 12 months ago
  4. Dragon

Some points-
    1.MH beasting duh.
    2.AWESOME sales for LoH, waaay above previous installment.
    3.Zelda HD flopped as expected. Oh Francis…

#4 12 months ago
  5. dreamcastnews

I’m not sure 30K+ sales over three days is a flop dude.

#5 12 months ago
  6. Clupula

@1 – It’s not a huge sales difference. But considering this is the first title in a series that started on portables and now has a PS3 version in addition to the Vita version, that could be the…you know what? Fuck you! Sales are going to pick up when Mario 3D comes out! ;)

And speaking of which…was there no Legend of Zelda bundle in Japan? I expected Zelda to, at the very least, double the Wii U’s sales for a couple weeks. This is…wow…

#6 12 months ago
  7. Clupula

@5 – Well, it’s not a Wonderful 101/Yakuza 1&2-level flop, but a Zelda title, at the very least, should have scored in the six digits for its first week.

#7 12 months ago
  8. dreamcastnews

It surprises me really. The console isn’t as bad as it’s made out to be. Sure, the gamepad is a little pointless but the machine is still fun and has some ideas that need stitching together properly. I’m really surprised there wasn’t a raise in hardware sales.

At this rate it won’t match Gamecube lifetime sales, hell; it won’t even match Dreamcast.

You’re right, it should have sold more, but it is first three days, plus there isn’t a massive install base – on the other side of the coin, I expected Zelda to create that install base…..

#8 12 months ago
  9. mistermogul

I’m hardly surprised WW didn’t really effect hardware sales. Japan aren’t that big on Zelda in the first place and it’s only a re-release.

I’m going to give it a miss unless it comes down in price. No way I’m paying full price for that. Nintendo are acting like it’s a brand new game!

Anyway looking forward to seeing what effect Pokemon has on the 3DS hardware in a few weeks. It’ll be massive. Famitsu said it’s now the most pre-ordered 3DS game ever which I suppose is no real surprise…

#9 12 months ago
  10. dreamcastnews

I can’t understand how a company can hit all the right buttons with a handheld but stumble so much with their home unit. Maybe their next machine should be introduced once the 3DS is done and just make a home console/handheld hybrid …. I guess that was half their thinking to begin with.

#10 12 months ago
  11. monkeygourmet

I would rather play a good game than get a hard on over a good game not selling well.

That attitude is hella fucked.

#11 12 months ago
  12. monkeygourmet

I think they underestimated (or didn’t want to give too much power to) the strangle hold companies like EA, Acti, Ubi now have on the gaming industry.

It’s an old fashioned but typically Nintendo attitude for better or worse. They are literally trying to carry a whole console on first party titles in an age when these big companies almost control the gaming landscape.

Considering I don’t really like alot of what the other companies are doing with their products / IP’s, I quite enjoy it.

I like that stubborness although it is killing the Wii U. Still, im happy aslong as I get another good few exclusives and aslong as they don’t go multiplatform.

They fucking refuse to let anyone else even look at the wheel, let alone touch it!

Crazy, but they still make incredible titles, gaming needs a crazy ass company like that otherwise it would be boring as fuck sometimes.

#12 12 months ago
  13. mistermogul

@10 – I agree.

Nintendo should make a new handheld in a few years with the best tech available which has the ability to connect to the TV to also be their home console.

Other people that also have the device could connect theirs for multiplayer etc… Would be sweet if done right and then they could dedicate all their development resources to one console rather than 2 but effectively still have a handheld and home console on the market…

@12 – Agree also :)

#13 12 months ago
  14. dreamcastnews

@12 I agree with you, I’d hate to see Nintendo go third party and honestly, I don’t see it happening. I do like Nintendo’s attitude towards carrying the machine themselves but they seem to be lacking the time to do this, my favourite machine of all time is the Dreamcast mainly because Sega fired everything they could at the machine, it lacked some key software back in the day but Sega footed the bill themselves, EA didn’t want to support it? That’s fine, Sega made their own NFL, NHL, Football and NBA games that not only got the quality (and sales advantage in NFL’s case) over EA that first year, they have been a thorn in EA’s side ever since.

I just want Nintendo to give the Wii U both barrels, fight every battle like it’s your last. They need to fill the catalogue gaps like Sega did or get third parties back on board, I happen to play Splinter Cell, CoD, Batman & Darksiders on mine purely because they were cheap and I wanted to see how the machine compares in HD next to the 360 and PS3.

I’m quite interested in Watchdogs and AC4 since Ubisoft have said they have a slight visual advantage over the PS3 and X360 versions so I’m curious to see how that fares.

#14 12 months ago
  15. Lengendaryboss

@Dragon
    Another supposed savior checked off his magical wishlist.

The sad truth and Nintendo expecting it to be a system seller gone wrong now.

No more worse than chanting every exclusive as a savior, until proven wrong: then checking said titles off the list.

They don’t have to, improvements are needed and as soon as Nintendo and its cult of fans realize that maybe they would have a better product on their hands.

Point: Monster Hunter is beasting on 3DS leveled out by Zelda HD and Wii U not selling to my expectations: a flop averages out the success to equal normal.

#15 12 months ago
  16. Clupula

@14 – The PS4/XB1 versions will negate that advantage, though, so those two games aren’t going to help the Wii U, at all.

But as someone who loved my Dreamcast, Nintendo definitely should be doing what Sega did.

Instead, Iwata tells people to “Please understand.” I really think that Nintendo would be so much better off if he were gone and someone new and hungry got a chance to run things.

#16 12 months ago
  17. dreamcastnews

Yes! That idea sounds even better when other people say it haha! I commonly believe that Nintendo trial ideas in earlier hardware and with the Wii U it’s clear to see they are looking at the crossing between a handheld screen and home unit, they may not get it right this time but sure as hell they could with the next console, and it could be bleeding edge power due to the resources being poured into one unified unit rather than a handheld and home console. However, it that doesn’t work, they would have consumed their entire market – but I’m confident that’s where gaming is heading.

#17 12 months ago
  18. dreamcastnews

@16 oh yeah, there’s no doubt that Ubisoft’s titles will do little to nothing for the U this year, but I’m not buying into next gen just yet so the Wii U is effectively, the closest I have at the moment (although GTA is consuming my time on 360 and Beyond Two Souls when it launches).

I do enjoy the novelty of playing games in HD on a Nintendo machine and sometimes the machine has a slight visual advantage over other versions so I guess I just pick and choose from time to time.

#18 12 months ago
  19. Dragon

The attitude of being pathetic platform apologist is hella fucked too.
    And the thread is a “sales chart”.

@18,
    Hopefully the Ubi titles sell well. Rumors suggest that Ubi may ditching Wii U soon. I dont think anyone can blame EA for running out of a sinking ship.

@LB,
    No wonder Francis isn’t here, poor guy.

@Clupula,